“A good eating out option.”
Review of Red House

Red House
Ranked #8 of 392 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: European, Canadian, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our meal at the Red House. Our food was tasty and nicely presented. The wait staff were attentive and friendly. The venue is a bit crowded and noisy. But, I will definitely go back.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I was a bit concerned about going to this restaurant after reading the last review, and especially once my wife ordered the scallop fettuccine (which I had warned her about), but everything at this restaurant was great.

The comments about the restaurant cooling down when the door is opened are valid, especially if someone mistakenly opens both the outer door and the door that leads to the main dining area, but given the building's design I don't think there is much that can be done. When we dined I honestly didn't notice it since I was enjoying the meal so much.

We ordered the one of the soups of the day and the bacon and avocado pizza. My wife really enjoyed the soup (the official description escapes me, but it was a spicy black bean and corn soup) and we both loved the pizza. I would return just to have it again.

For mains we had the scallop fettuccine and I had the curry bowl for the day which was a chicken leg and shrimp curry bowl. The scallop fettuccine was an amazing dish and I was concerned about the amount of scallops and how overpowering the pesto may be, but after seeing and tasting it I think it's definitely a dish I would not hesitate getting. There were 4 (or 5) scallops that I wouldn't consider "thin" (they may have been sliced in half as the thickness of each was around 1.5 cm). The curry bowl was great - it had a delicate balance between sweet and spicy (peppers are sliced and garnished on the bowl - likely so people can set the heat level, knowing this I would ask for more peppers next time as I loved the heat. The chicken leg was huge and perfect cooked.

We really wanted to try desert as the tiramisu sounded great but we were so stuffed, the restaurant actually surprised us with a chocolate panna cotta that was the light desert we could handle. We both enjoyed flavoured coffee's since I hadn't seen that on any menu I needed to try it. Our waiter recommended "Caramel Crunch" and it was awesome.

Our waiter was great, he had the professionalism that you find in upscale restaurants but with a super approachable and funny attitude. His recommendations really helped us pick our courses and drinks.

Overall Red House has become my new favorite restaurant in the area. I am surprised that we hadn't heard about it earlier and we hope to go back soon.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I were at this restaurant Dec 20th with four other friends. The restaurant is small, but cozy. Thank goodness we were seated in the back, because every time the door opened, you could feel the room cool down, even where we were seated. Anyone at the front would've been frozen.

I ordered what sounded amazing: Scallop Fettucini (pan seared sea scallops, crisp prosciutto, cherry tomatoes, fennel, spinach, tarragon pesto, toasted pine nuts, Grana Padano $20.95). Unfortunately, this was a huge disappointment. There were at most two sea scallops, which had been cut into three thin slices each,and the prosciutto was nearly non-existent. (It would be better to put in several full sized scallops and a decent portion of prosciutto and charge more.) There was so much tarragon pesto on top the pasta, that's all that could be tasted, and it totally overwhelmed the dish. I picked out the scallop slices and what prosciutto I could find, but the remainder of this dish wasn't edible due to the amount of pesto on it. (In my mind, the pasta should be just lightly tossed with some pesto, and then topped with the scallops, prosciutto, tomatoes, spinach, fennel and pine nuts, so they could be seen and tasted.) Three others at our table tried my pasta and agreed with me. Although I was totally disappointed in my meal (and I should have sent it back) the other five were very happy with what they ordered.

I would eat here again, but I'd order something different.

3  Thank Carolinasofinah
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and I dined here on Saturday night and had an enjoyable enough dinner, but this restaurant is just so loud and noisy. I noticed the waiter had a difficult time taking order and had to strain to hear them.
However, the spaghetti with lamb and my husband's lamb 2-ways was very good.
I would pass on the dinner drink of sangria, as there is no way this is sangria in the true sense of this Spanish drink. It was a watered down mess with many ice cubes and no taste at all. Our wine choices were very good.
Perhaps if you dine during the week or a lunch the noise-level would be tolerable, but we will not be returning for an Saturday evening dinner.
The decibel level was around an 85-90 for sure, which is equivalent to a lawn mower running by your table.
On leaving I heard a couple complain about the noise level and the server said "next time sit in the front room" the porch area where we dined. I piped up that that is where we sat and it didn't make any difference. The restaurant would be more appealing and cozy with a level of reduced noise but.....
I think the proprietor should establish some type of sound absorption within the restaurant, now rather than later.

1  Thank celticmoon
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I ate at Red House with two friends last night. It was their first time, and my 5th or 6th. When I arrived I was in a grouchy mood and didn't like the table. The staff was extremely nice and accommodating and prepared another table for us. (I really appreciated that since I was out of line.)

For cocktails we had: two red wine Sangrias, one Mill Street organic. (Their cocktails and Sangria are fantastic.) Later we split a bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.

For starters we had: mussels, Iron Horse Trail salad, Caesar salad. Raves all around.

For mains we had: curry bowl of the day (lamb), Penne Arrabiatta, Boar risotto. Raves all around. My lamb curry was exceptional.

For dessert we split a chocolate mousse cake. Fantastic! Plus espresso (they make a really good espresso).

Cost, with a generous tip: $80 each.

I always have great food at Red House, but what I especially like about it is that the food is fun. They're into deconstructing classic recipes. For example, my Caesar salad had a light vinaigrette rather than the usual egg-based creamy dressing, and then had some delicious small perfectly boiled egg in quarters in the salad. Another example: their lemon dessert is sort of like lemon meringue pie, but it's all separated: lemon curd, pastry shards, homemade marshmallows. Another example: they sometimes have a cheese fondue that's a take on cheese rarebit, made with cheddar and beer, and served with soft pretzels. Another example: they sometimes make a taco that has a fantastic duck topping.

The food is fun, often surprising, and playful - yet completely serious in terms of perfect technique. Don't expect the same menu or the same dish every time you go: they're always doing new things.

Finally, the waiters are just great - not just professional and attentive, but also very friendly (without intruding).

1  Thank r h