“Good food that's fun”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Waterloo, Canada
“Good food that's fun”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I ate at Red House with two friends last night. It was their first time, and my 5th or 6th. When I arrived I was in a grouchy mood and didn't like the table. The staff was extremely nice and accommodating and prepared another table for us. (I really appreciated that since I was out of line.)

For cocktails we had: two red wine Sangrias, one Mill Street organic. (Their cocktails and Sangria are fantastic.) Later we split a bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.

For starters we had: mussels, Iron Horse Trail salad, Caesar salad. Raves all around.

For mains we had: curry bowl of the day (lamb), Penne Arrabiatta, Boar risotto. Raves all around. My lamb curry was exceptional.

For dessert we split a chocolate mousse cake. Fantastic! Plus espresso (they make a really good espresso).

Cost, with a generous tip: $80 each.

I always have great food at Red House, but what I especially like about it is that the food is fun. They're into deconstructing classic recipes. For example, my Caesar salad had a light vinaigrette rather than the usual egg-based creamy dressing, and then had some delicious small perfectly boiled egg in quarters in the salad. Another example: their lemon dessert is sort of like lemon meringue pie, but it's all separated: lemon curd, pastry shards, homemade marshmallows. Another example: they sometimes have a cheese fondue that's a take on cheese rarebit, made with cheddar and beer, and served with soft pretzels. Another example: they sometimes make a taco that has a fantastic duck topping.

The food is fun, often surprising, and playful - yet completely serious in terms of perfect technique. Don't expect the same menu or the same dish every time you go: they're always doing new things.

Finally, the waiters are just great - not just professional and attentive, but also very friendly (without intruding).

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank r h

Kitchener
“Delicious”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Seven friends and I went for dinner and everyone raved about their meal. Absolutely delicious. I was very pleased and would definitely return. Just two small complaints. We were sitting near the door and every time it opened we were blasted with cold air. I'm sure the people near the rear of the restaurant were fine so if it's winter ask for a table away from the door. The other small complaint is I do agree with people that it is quite noisy. If you want an intimate quiet dinner this isn't the place for you. It didn't bother my friends and I although we did ge louder as the night went on as we were finding it diffcult to hear each other.

• Visited December 2013
Orangeville, Canada
“Excellent restaurant!”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I had the " lamb done two ways" dinner and a tiamisu for dessert. The food was. Cooked perfectly and presented beautifully, Everything tasted like it was made with love. I truly felt like an appreciated guest at this resaurant. I would definately recommend it. It has a cozy, relaxed atmosphere, and the service was very good.

• Visited November 2013
Waterloo, Canada
“Second time: Disappointing”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Our first meal at Red House was outstanding (see my previous review) and we were excited to bring some friends to share the great food. Sadly, the evening fell short of our expectations. The restaurant was packed and perhaps this affected the food quality. We started with mussels in curry broth and this was served lukewarm, on a plate. Mussels are usually served in a bowl, so they can marinate in the flavourful broth and stay hot. Our Red House mussels were cold by the time we ate them. Two of us ordered the wild boar with squash risotto. The boar was bland and flavourless and the risotto was equally uninspiring. The other food items were good, but lacking the flair in preparation we experienced the first time.
We will give this restaurant one more try before writing it off.

• Visited November 2013
4 Thank coralbelle
Salzburg, Austria
“Excellent little restaurant in Waterloo”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Nice little restaurant in Waterloo. Only a few tables, but excellent selection of food, wine and beer. Service is very competent and friendly. Ideal place for a wonderful dinner in cosy athmosphere.

• Visited October 2013