“Coffee + Whiskey = great fun!”

Death Valley's Little Brother
Ranked #1 of 17 Coffee & Tea in Waterloo
Reviewed September 18, 2013

It has been said that: "Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised." (A Star Trek quote) and "Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake." (a quote from W.C. Fields). If you are in sympathy with these quotes, then DVLB is the place for you! Of course, this is not for fine dining, but they do terrific coffees and fantastic whiskeys.

1  Thank GDP321987

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I stumbled into DVLB on the weekend and we were pleasantly surprised. We ordered a macchiato and a cappuccino, with a pecan butter tart. Excellent drinks and desert, but more importantly, excellent staff. I had a nice chat with the young lady and gentleman who were working that afternoon and an interesting introduction to the other side of the menu, that this place is a fine whiskey bar. Since it was a little early for me, I didn't imbibe, but I will be back, especially since we're moving down in the next year. Although a little spartan in decor, it was homey and the service and food/drink were wonderful. What a great find!

1  Thank Scott C
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Based on a recommendation from a co-worker I reserved a tucked away corner at DVLB and took my boyfriend here after going out for dinner for his birthday. He is a whiskey/scotch drinker and I am a coffee drinker so DVLB was a perfect fit for a place to relax and enjoy each other's company in a unique and cool atmosphere that allowed us both to enjoy our own vices. They dimmed the lights shortly after we arrived and played great music the entire time we were there. We arrived about 8:30 p.m. and stayed until just before they closed but could definitely have stayed longer!
My boyfriend was able to try a number of unique selections that he has had on his 'things to try list' without having to buy a whole bottle and the variety is so good we very much look forward to going back a number of times in order to try them all. The staff were fantastic -- they were all very knowledgeable and more than willing to chat about whiskey and answer any questions we had. The décor was great and suits the space perfectly -- we occupied a couple of club chairs for a couple of hours and were able to chat and enjoy ourselves the whole time.
Being so close to the universities clearly brings that crowd to DVLB but we are working professionals age 31 and 43 and we found that it was a perfect atmosphere even for us. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience and will most definitely be back. A unique establishment that is pure genius!

1  Thank canhil
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is literally my favourite place to get coffee in town. The first time I wandered in there, I asked if the coffee was fair trade. His response, "better, it's direct trade"

These people really care about coffee. The pour over is my favourite, and the taste of the coffee is amazing and worth the few minutes wait. I also appreciate that the barristas give you a few notes about the flavours of each of the coffees they offer that day.

The decor is also great. We also always run into a friend when we're in there. Great hang out place in uptown

1  Thank 96HeatherD
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I really like this Coffee shop. The ambience is pleasant and kind of cute and different than the rest of the coffee shops I have been to . I love the macchiato ! the best in town ( as far as I know :D ) . The pastries are a selection of yummy things !
They do serve alcohol which does not interest me.