“Near Perfect & Witty Menus”
Review of The Bauer Kitchen

The Bauer Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bauer Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 388 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Allen St.
Transit: On the main 7 line heading to Conestoga Mall.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Went for a late lunch with a friend while in the area, which has a wonderful Mennonite farming community and was once Canada's industrial heartland. Had the giant duck wings appetizer and burgers for the main. Also had a couple of perfect martinis and the coldest (Mill Street) draft ever. So many places - even well known restaurants - just use pre-packaged or pre-mixed sauces and foods. Not here: all fresh and a large, well-staffed open kitchen. The decor is original and even the wine menu is a blast to read (actually written by someone with wit - "imagine Johnny Cash smoking in a cellar"). If you're in the area, don't miss this - fantastic sandwiches as well.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I've been there about 4 times now since I live right around the corner and I've finally decided that enough is enough. The food is so mediocre - I have never had anything memorable. This past week I went for dinner with a few friends. Two of us got the butcher burger ($15) which again is just such a forgettable burger and to make things worse the buns were stale. We also ordered some salads (the portions were seriously lacking). For example, the salad that was supposed to come with goat cheese had merely a few crumbs in the salad. The calamari was chewy and poorly seasoned. The short rib gnocchi was extremely over-seasoned. The list goes on....

Unfortunately, mediocre food is not limited to just the Bauer Kitchen but rather present in all of Charcoal Groups restaurants (Wildcraft, Del Dante's, etc...).

I have NEVER posted a review for anything before but I just felt so compelled to post for some reason. I WISH this restaurant had the food to back up the great atmosphere, service & decor. I want to love the Charcoal group restaurants because they are all so unique and nice looking but the food has never been the reason I go to them. With Charcoal group restaurants, you always get consistently standard food but it is never amazing. You can just tell that the Chef's & cooks are not passionate about delivering an exceptional product.

4  Thank J V
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We came here for dinner with my son who is at UW. The atmosphere was great -- casual but attractive. We chose to eat outdoors which turned out to be best for us because the noise level became quite high indoors on the couple of occasions we ducked inside. The menu was not the usual "run of the mill" which is always nice to encounter. Similarly the wine and beer list had lots of interesting alternatives. Our food was very good. The recommendations on beers and wines were well informed and good advice. End to end I found the service to be superlative. I've eaten many places in many countries and would put it on a par with the best of the best. Perhaps it was the individual we lucked in to -- but great to have such good professionals on staff!

Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

I went here recently for dinner and the service and food were amazing!! The only downside is that if you do not get an appetizer you will be starving by the time the food gets there. It is the only thing that they have to work on. Dinner presentation and dessert was amazing!! A great place to try and see how you like it- or if you are visiting Waterloo a great place to experience!!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Consistently good on service and food. Drinks are also great. What else can I say? Worth a meal...or two!