“Expected a little more”

King Street Trio Uptown
Reserve with OpenTable
King Street Trio Uptown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 386 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Waterloo Square
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I guess I shouldn't complain too much about a very good rating. But after reading all the great reviews and hearing all about this place I expected a little more in taste and quality. Due to an impending ice storm the restaurant was very slow so service was exceptional. We ordered the rice balls and calamari as apps to start. The rice balls were very good, but I found the calamari a little undercooked and tasteless. I ordered a striploin steak and my wife ordered the seafood paella. My steak, although cooked to order was a little short on taste but my wife's dish was fabulous. I don't like to nitpick but when you pay $30 for a steak, one expects a little more. We will go back and try something else as the atmosphere is nice and the company and service were great.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had a 5:00pm reservation on a Saturday. The restaurant was empty when we got there, but filled up gradually over the dinner hour. Not sure if the venue might not be a little loud once it's full.

The service was excellent. The server was patient, attentive, helpful and cheerful.

One of the issues I generally have with this kind of restaurant is the menu. It seems everything has to contain seafood or mushrooms, and I don't eat either. Refreshingly, King Street Trio has many items on the menu that appealed to me, both on the appetizer side and the entree side.

I had the stuffed pork tenderloin, and Christa had the filet mignon. Both were prepared to perfection. Christa also had the calamari starter, which was similarly beautifully prepared.
My Sterling Vineyards Merlot was very nice, but her Sacred Hill Pinot Noir was wonderful.
We finished off our meal with the pumpkin creme brulee.

1 starter, 2 entrees, 1 dessert and two glasses of wine was $125 (including tax, tip and a discount from the Treasures coupon book)

We'll be back for sure.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I would definitely say the location in Uptown is far nicer than any they have had in the past. We recently visited and had the brie to start, steaks that were cooked perfectly and finished with a pumpkin spiced brule. It was an excellent experience all around.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've been a fan of Kind Street Trio since it was in downtown Kitchener. I loved the University location, and I've really tried to like the downtown Waterloo location. But I'm afraid I can't.

On my most recent visit I ordered the steak. It's nice enough but there are better steaks to be had in Waterloo, even at this price range. It's entertaining to see the chefs in the kitchen. But I don't like the industrial decor, and the lighting is so dark I literally couldn't read the menu. It seems to vary from table to table - some tables are in pools of light and others are dark.

I really miss the old location where there was space for music, high ceilings, multiple levels and a better menu. Most of the windows of the new place look out over an alleyway.This place feels cramped and dingy, and the food isn't good enough to compensate.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Difficult to write a rather negative review when we desperately need good restaurant options in uptown Waterloo but after 3 visits to this location I finally decided we will not be returning. Our first visit over a year ago was fantastic- the food and service excellent. Since then each meal has failed to satisfy- the most recent visit we had over salted, chewy steak and mussels appetizer was not hot enough, salad uninspired and also too salty. Service was good however.

1  Thank cdl1950