“Glad I wasn't paying the bill!”

King Street Trio Uptown
Reserve with OpenTable
King Street Trio Uptown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 402 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Waterloo Square
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Recently went for dinner with a group of 9 for our staff Christmas party. Service was fairly attentive, but the restaurant was incredibly loud as we were seated right by the open kitchen. Drinks, apps, and dessert were fine/good BUT my steak as well as those of the people beside me were poorly done. My steak was thin, fatty, tough, poor flavor. Honestly probably the worst steak I've ever had. Should have gone to Charcoal, Wildcraft, or Sole for a better meal at a similar price point.

1  Thank Christine C

Reviewed December 5, 2012

If you are looking for fine dining option in the tri-city area, this is it. Risotto and the tiger shrimp paparadelle were delicious and very large portions. Food was beautifully presented on the plates, and the flavours were top notch. Great for a special occasion, will definitely be back.

1  Thank nicole m
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had dinner at this lovely, restored restaurant (previously a card shop) with friends tonight. Our server was very friendly and attentive. She checked in with us frequently to see if we needed anything. Our dinner choices were just delicious. Two of us had the pickerel with risotto, absolutely the most delicious meal I've had in a long time. Our husbands both had the rib eye steak with blue cheese and onion rings, and said that the meat was cooked perfectly and the accompanying veggies and potatoes were perfectly cooked and tasty. The manager checked in frequently as well. We will definitely return to King St. Trios again soon!

1  Thank janeWaterlooOntario
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The place is very loud. We ordered two appetizers and bottle of wine. The appetizers were ok. When my husband ordered the wine we got the impression our waiter snubbed his choice. We were both surprised by his comment. We won't return.

1  Thank Dale U
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My husband and I went to King Street Trio for dinner last night to celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary. I had never been as we usually frequent places like Wildcraft for such occasions, but thought we would give it a try. I had made reservations which we definitely did not need, as at 7pm there were only 4 other tables with customers.

The night started off a bit poorly with our waiter ignoring us for the first 10+ minutes. He even cleared the table behind us before finally coming over and greeting us. Pretty poor considering it was so quiet in there, they obviously did not need that table for anyone else. We ordered a cocktail each and they were actually very good and went on to order mains of NY Striploin for me and Rack of Lamb for my husband.

When the food arrived it looked fine. I cut into my steak and it was cooked the way I requested so when the waiter came over and asked how it was we both said great. Having not had more than one bite of food at that point, I was happy to get started on the meal. However, my steak was the worst quality I have ever seen. The whole thing was covered in fat-I don't mean a bit of marbling, I mean weird looking bits and large portions that my steak knife could not even cut through. The waiter never came back to ask us how it was and so when he finally arrived to clear our plates and mine had 70%+ of the steak still on my plate in various bits he seemed ignorant to my poor dish. He asked if I wanted it packed up...? To which I stated no thank you and explained how poor quality the steak was and that it was largely all fat.

At that point he didn't even seem too bothered/surprised, but I did see him go and speak to someone and showed them my plate. I thought the owner or manager would come over to apologize or at least address my complaint. Instead the waiter hurried back and threw dessert menus our way mumbling something about offering a free dessert. We declined, neither of us wanting to stay any further.

The bill promptly arrived with the full cost of the steak, $27, on it. I was upset. I went up to the gentleman that the waiter had spoken to to address the issue. When he saw me walking towards him, he actually turned away and pretended to be busy on his computer. My conversation went something like this-

-Excuse me sir, are you the owner? No, I am the manager.
-I think my waiter may have spoken to you about and shown you my steak? Yes, he did. The manager then said I'm so sorry, and acknowledged that it was not a decent standard.
-To which I then replied, if you insisted on charging me for that, which I think is incredibly rude, you could have at least offered to cover a cocktail or glass of wine that we had ordered. He then started on the defensive, blaming me for not mentioning to the waiter the one time he came to ask us how the meal was....saying that he only just heard about it now and alluded to the fact that there had not been time to remove it from the bill...?
-I then explained I was very unhappy, I left my 6 month old with a babysitter to go out for dinner for my wedding anniversary and this was where I had chosen for our meal. Finally he said oh, I'm sorry (again), I didn't realize....and finally said okay I'll take the steak off your bill.

I had to literally run back to the table as my husband was in the middle of completing the credit card transaction to pay for the bill and tell him Don't press approve on that!! Overall it wasn't just the fact that the steak was such a poor quality, it was also the way the manager treated the situation and that he didn't seem to even care. He obviously just wanted us to pay up and go and ignore us. I honestly think the only reason he agreed to take it off the bill was that the restaurant was so quiet, if I had raised my voice at all everyone in the place would have heard our conversation. I now know why it was mainly empty on a Saturday night and will never return to this restaurant.

1  Thank Dave-n-Theresa