“Nice stay”

Best Western Plus Waterloo
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Waterloo
Reviewed August 12, 2014

The property is old but reimbursement and well maintained, room is clean and excellence service provided.
Location is very good, around ten minute drive to St. Jacob Ville and cross of Canastoga Mall Waterloo.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank AlbertSiauw

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Booked this room using Starwood points, I sent the hotel an email enquiring about upgrading to a deluxe room but there was no response. Upon checking in I mentioned this to the front desk and the clerk noted I was already upgraded. Really nice to see and check in was very pleasant. Clerk indicated we were placed on top floor since rest of the hotel was filled with families in town for a ball hockey tournament, Really appreciated that. The lone elevator was busy because of the kids but that's to be expected. Room was not clean - long black hair was plastered on the walls of the shower; evident in the sink and also the floor area by the sink. The remote had enough food stuck to the back of it that you could have made a peanut butter sandwich, The closet (at least I think that's what it was) could not be opened. However, the a/c worked fine and bed was fine.
Major problem was with the bill. I asked for it to be emails. Usually at Starwood properties you receive the bill before you check out. Not in this case. And when it did come, there was a strange, unexplained room charge on it. I called the hotel which said the charge was legitimate (but did not say for what it was). Also contacted Starwood HQ. Two staff handled the case and the charges were finally reversed with the an apology and some points. This has taken nearly a month. I still have not heard why the accountant at the hotel (Catherine) claimed these charges were legitimate....but I've given up. I cannot get any kind of answer from Starwood. AT least we saw all sorts of other nice places to stay in the area when we trying to find this hotel. Just to add to the fun, there were kids booked on the floor we were on. Loud kids.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank WayneinCollingwood
BritHoPH, Online Content Manager at Best Western Plus Waterloo, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Hello WayneinCollingwood,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience working with our hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you had some issues in your recent experience with us. I would value the opportunity to speak with you regarding the issues you encountered so that I can resolve them to your satisfaction & hopefully get the opportunity to host you again.

Please feel free to contact me directly at brittany@palm-holdings.com and I will look into your incident further.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Brittany Ho

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Many hotels talk about "going beyond expectations" and "delighting the customer", but I have to praise this hotel and Andrea, who is a Guest Service Representative at the hotel.
I forgot my tan summer suit in the closet of my room and Andrea called me about an hour after I had checked out. It was too late for me to return and pick it up, so I asked them if they could send it out at my expense through a courier service. They said no problem... Andrea then e-mailed me to confirm she had sent out the suit via courier and even told me which courier company it was as well as the approximate cost.
Anyway, I'm totally impressed with this level of service. Most hotels would have just bagged it and waited for me to call them in a panic. And wouldn't offer to ship it out either.
And the stay at the hotel was very pleasant. The location was very central for my meetings and the hotel upgraded me to a suite because of my lifetime Gold status. Anyway, this hotel has rapidly become one of my favourites.
Thank you Andrea. You deserve a promotion.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank sinner5
BritHoPH, Manager at Best Western Plus Waterloo, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Hello Sinner5,

Thank you for your kind words! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and will pass your review on to Andrea as well.

I hope the next time you are in the Waterloo area you will allow us to host you again.

Brittany Ho

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Spent a week here with my husband who was on a business trip in Waterloo.
Things the management should definitely improve and keep an eye on:
1- FRONT DESK - although the check-in staff was quick and helpful (gave me a map and got me a synthetic pillow as requested), the check-out person made a mistake and put the remaining balance on the company's credit card account despite us giving her our card and telling her it will be on us. That was very disappointing specially that they could not do anything about it!
2- Room was NOT CLEAN (dust everywhere) when we checked in; found cherry fruit branch on the floor, left it on the counter next to the microwave to see if it will be removed and by the day we checked-out, it was still there. 3- not all housekeepers know English but they manage to communicate. They just clean the surface. I did not see them Hoover the floors. 4- Bathroom shower gel, shampoo and conditioner were almost empty; only the shampoo was refilled during our stay, maybe because they saw we had our own shower gel with us? Don't know...

Likes: 1- LOCATION - close to the highway and two minutes away from Conestoga mall where you can go shopping, eat at the food court and take the bus to uptown Waterloo, Kitchener and even St-Jacobs. 2- large PARKING space, for free! 3- no need to pass by the main entrance/front desk to get to your room; use the BACK DOORS!
4- ROOM - normal size traditional room, big windows, large comfortable bed with big TV. 5- FREE bottle of water. 6- good size modern BATHROOM. 7- nice LOBBY with comfortable sitting area. 8- housekeeping was done on daily basis, in a very quick manner (not always efficiently though) 9- indoor pool and whirlpool were really nice and let you relax. Downside floors need to be cleaned.

Overall, we would consider to stay here only because of the location!! The management should really keep an eye on the cleanliness. I've stayed at another Four Points Sheraton hotel in another country and they are of much higher standards when it comes to cleanliness.
Stay here when on a business trip, but definitely not for vacation.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Just spent 4 nights at this hotel and everything was great. Had stayed in this hotel before the conversion to a Four Points Sheraton and am very pleased with the changes including upgraded breakfast and lounge areas. The gym is larger with more extras - free water bottles and towels provided. There is an option to not have the bedding and towels changed in exchange for a $5 credit that can be used in the hotel. Great idea! I ordered room service two nights and the service was great - 30 minutes or free. The pulled pork sandwich with salad or fries was very good. Staff were all very pleasant, professional and went out of their way to be helpful.
I really like this hotel and would highly recommend it to those travelling for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: The rooms in the tower are newer than those in the original 2-story hotel. All rooms have been rem...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Kitchener-Waterloo is a great community and a hive of commercial innovation. But it is not a particularly exciting or dynamic place. The architecture, with a handful of exceptions, is staid and traditional. Four Points fits in very well. It is nicely located with easy access the Waterloo business community. The rooms are nice, the staff are great, the breakfast is okay (well that is an over-statement), and the price is reasonable. Nothing special, to be honest, and with some strange architectural features, particularly the connection between the two wings of the hotel. As a business top, this is fine, but it would not serve well as a vacation hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2014

What I liked –
1. The full body mirror in wardrobe.
2. Good size mini bar and microwave.
3. Fast and friendly check-in
4. Comfortable soft Sheraton bedding – I literally slept like a baby every night!
5. Free bottled water in room.
6. One cup coffee maker
7. Very reliable shuttle service to local businesses!
8. To me, the location of this hotel is the main advantage – it is close to the highway and across the street from Conestoga mall that has a nice food court.
9. The strength is the professional front desk being extremely customer oriented friendly and giving helpful advice.
10. Lots of nicely decorated sitting areas to wait and meet people. While I didn't need a computer terminal since I had my laptop - a nice comfortable sitting area with two terminals near the front desk.
11. They were generous with their Kleenex, which is a million times better than some hotels.

What I felt could be improved -
1. This is a small thing but, normally when I order room service, tea comes in a mini tea pot versus providing me with one coffee cup of hot water.
2. The first morning, I ordered room service and the breakfast was delivered on plastic tray that looked like it was taken from a school cafeteria. There was an old looking and rumbled tea cloth over the tray. By the fourth morning, the plastic tray improved in appearance to what I would consider appropriate for room service in a hotel but the raggedy old tea towel remained.
3. The breakfast buffet was extremely self-service since there was no one to greet you or explain pricing. I actually asked the rep behind the counter – do I take the orange juice jug back to my table? Then she came back with me to offer coffee. The rep was very nice, but I think some training is in order – since the situation was confusing. I found out after the fact - if you just have a bagel or toast I guess continental the breakfast is free. My other friends had eggs and had to pay for the breakfast buffet. The chef only cooked enough scrambled eggs for two plates at a time which meant people constantly going back.
4. I don’t consider this a small thing. I didn’t find that the room was being cleaned consistently. For instance, the bathtub wasn't cleaned every day and sometimes the bath sink had a lot of soap scum. I found an empty water bottle was still in the recycling box from the night before.
5. The panic lock was broken on door, which doesn’t look good. The bathroom sink had a crack.
6. The body lotion and water wasn’t consistently restocked. Whether you stay one night or multiple, this should be done properly so the guest doesn’t have to phone the front desk

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the tower versus the first floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business