“Room 112 has bed bugs”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Waterloo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Room 112 has bed bugs”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The first room they gave me had such a strong odor resembling a combo of smelly feet and carpet that I had to ask for another. They gave me the room across from it.

Probably if I followed my instincts I would have tried to find another hotel.

The staff is very customer friendly, the hotel was reasonable but the bedbugs influenced my rating greatly.

When I noticed the bug bites I thought they were mosquito bites. But was baffled about from where. Soon as I realized they were bed bug bites I had already mixed my clothes in with my regular clothes in the wash and then in the closet.

I had slept in my bed. But late as it was 2am - washed my clothes in hot water and vacuumed my bed and wiped with a disinfecting cleaner and hoped for the best because it was a weekend middle of the night.
I am writing as my bites itch. So along with the lost of a night sleep and worry that I may not have been successful in clearing the bedbugs I have the discomfort of itch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Jean E
angelina m, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Waterloo-Kitchener, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for choosing the Destination Inn Hotel & Suites on your most recent visit to Waterloo. Kindly know that we take any comments of this nature very seriously and always welcome the opportunity to resolve this or any other concerns directly with our guests during their stay.
I am glad we were able to get in touch since we learnt about your concern and thank you for being patient and allowing us to get back to you on our findings. Although this was an isolated occurrence, anytime a guest is not satisfied or not comfortable for any reason it becomes a top concern for all of us at the Destination Inn Hotel & Suites, as guest satisfaction and comfort remain our number one priority.

Regarding the incident in question the room was immediately taken off-line; a staff evaluation was conducted, followed by a thorough professional examination. It was not until management was 100% certain that the room was suitable for occupancy that it was returned to inventory. Thank you for allowing us to share with you the work report from the examination company that indicates there are no signs of any activity present in that room. We were able to share the same report with TripAdvisor as well.
As an experienced and conscientious hospitality professional this incident is both frustrating and alarming, as we host thousands of guests each year, consistently providing exemplary service and comfort. We unequivocally apologize for the inconvenience and discomfort, you experienced and once again, we would like to assure you that the room you stayed in and the Destination Inn Hotel & Suites does not have a bed bug problem. We take every step including staff training and implementing professional preventative programs to insure our guests’ comfort.

Employees of the Destination Inn Hotel & Suites are firmly committed to guest satisfaction and the guest experience. We would like to personally invite you to our hotel again to experience this for yourself.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Collingwood, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Fairly standard hotel, clean and quite. Not much to report other than staff was friendly and location was easy to get too. Lots of places to eat near by.
The breakfast in the AM was nothing special or worth trying though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ontario
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here for three nights in October 2012. This hotel is closely situated to shopping and many restaurants. It's nice and close to the town of St. Jacob's also. The room we had was clean but perhaps just every so slightly in need of a little upgrading (I can't quite put my finger on it but sort of a clean smell that might be masking an older smell). The bed was incredibly comfortable but the sheets on one bed were full of holes for some reason. We did like that they gave us a lot of extra towels. The bathroom was clean. It would have been nice to have more counter space. We had both a fridge and microwave. Check in and out were speedy. We didn't take advantage of the free breakfast but the area where it's held looked very spacious. The rate was a little high (and that was with a discount). Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 1thatlovestoshop
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed October 9, 2012

A relatively young building with spacious entry and breakfast area. Friendly and professional staff. Location is not central, but with a car you have very quick access to the University, Corporate Centres, and downtown. Room includes breakfast which is a notch above the typical motor inn continental, with make-your-own waffles, some fruit, and a fairly good variety for self-serve, paper plate style eating. Fairly spacious rooms, good wireless, hair dryers, and well-stocked bathrooms. Mini refrigerators.

Room Tip: When you consider rates, be aware of a $3.57 "direct marketing fee" (per night?) per room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ontario
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Firstly there is nothing wrong with this hotel, located very well for all the attractions in St. Jacobs. The room was fine, the breakfast was well supplied and the reception area was very welcoming. In fact we enjoyed staying at this establishment.

However, and this is something that really gets to me. When I checked my bill after I returned home, I noticed a "Direct Marketing Fee" had sneekily been added to the cost of the room and the tax. I questioned it with the hotel, and was told that this is what the hotels in the area are doing. The amount for one night worked out at about 2 1/2 %. I am not sure if this is a one time charge or is charged every night, which over a few nights could amount to quite a substantial amount.

I questioned this with the local tourist board, who told me that it must be a hotel charge, and was not being charged by all the hotels in the area, and at this stage had not been sanctioned by them. I was being "sluffed off" by their explanation, and it was not true.

To me a direct marketing fee is advertising - which is covered for the business traveller by their company, and in turn the company gets a tax allowance as an expense. What does the individual tourist get? Nothing, except another fee.

I expect this in New York, London, but Waterloo, Ontario - no way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank euchreman
Morden, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Everything about this hotel is top notch. From the speed of check in and check out, the friendliness of the front desk clerks, the quality of the free breakfast and the cleanliness of the rooms this hotel surpasses the test.

Room Tip: The rooms in the tower are newer and would be preferential to the older rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Murray B
Madoc, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Spent two days visiting the area. Have stayed at this hotel before some time ago. We were very happy with this hotel as the room was clean,comfortable, and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The pool and whirlpool were in good shape and clean. Hotel location was good and reasonably close to area attactions. Price was reasonable.

Room Tip: Ensure to enquire if room is pet free should there be health issues such as allergies etc. Also it m...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple