“Clean and affordable”

Best Western Plus Waterloo
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Waterloo
Reviewed October 9, 2012

A relatively young building with spacious entry and breakfast area. Friendly and professional staff. Location is not central, but with a car you have very quick access to the University, Corporate Centres, and downtown. Room includes breakfast which is a notch above the typical motor inn continental, with make-your-own waffles, some fruit, and a fairly good variety for self-serve, paper plate style eating. Fairly spacious rooms, good wireless, hair dryers, and well-stocked bathrooms. Mini refrigerators.

Room Tip: When you consider rates, be aware of a $3.57 "direct marketing fee" (per night?) per room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Waterloo

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Firstly there is nothing wrong with this hotel, located very well for all the attractions in St. Jacobs. The room was fine, the breakfast was well supplied and the reception area was very welcoming. In fact we enjoyed staying at this establishment.

However, and this is something that really gets to me. When I checked my bill after I returned home, I noticed a "Direct Marketing Fee" had sneekily been added to the cost of the room and the tax. I questioned it with the hotel, and was told that this is what the hotels in the area are doing. The amount for one night worked out at about 2 1/2 %. I am not sure if this is a one time charge or is charged every night, which over a few nights could amount to quite a substantial amount.

I questioned this with the local tourist board, who told me that it must be a hotel charge, and was not being charged by all the hotels in the area, and at this stage had not been sanctioned by them. I was being "sluffed off" by their explanation, and it was not true.

To me a direct marketing fee is advertising - which is covered for the business traveller by their company, and in turn the company gets a tax allowance as an expense. What does the individual tourist get? Nothing, except another fee.

I expect this in New York, London, but Waterloo, Ontario - no way.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank euchreman
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Everything about this hotel is top notch. From the speed of check in and check out, the friendliness of the front desk clerks, the quality of the free breakfast and the cleanliness of the rooms this hotel surpasses the test.

Room Tip: The rooms in the tower are newer and would be preferential to the older rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Murray B
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Spent two days visiting the area. Have stayed at this hotel before some time ago. We were very happy with this hotel as the room was clean,comfortable, and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The pool and whirlpool were in good shape and clean. Hotel location was good and reasonably close to area attactions. Price was reasonable.

Room Tip: Ensure to enquire if room is pet free should there be health issues such as allergies etc. Also it m...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Read the reviews for Waterloo Hotels and picked Destination Inn over the others and we were not disappointed. The Kitchener Waterloo area has a number of hotels in the area near the 401 highway but out of the way for a visit to Waterloo. The Destination Inn was located in the northern section of Waterloo, with lots of shopping and places to eat. The hotel was very clean and the front desk staff friendly. The breakfast more than looked after our needs but others looking for a hot breakfast will not find it. I would rate the Destination Inn number one in Waterloo.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed there for 7 nights. The Service is excellent. The hotel is clean and good location. Thank you Samantha (I hope the spelling right)! She is so helpful and wonderful. I called couple months before my trip because I had 3 bookings through 7 nights using the coupon. There was one booking missing in her system. She said she was going to check with her manager and called me back. Within an hour, she called me and confirmed everything and she also gave us a deluxe double room (it was a deluxe king).

When we arrived, check in was fast and easy. The room is clean and big. Our coffee machine in our room was not working. We called the reception and they quickly got us change another one. Breakfast is good but the coffee tastes a little bit weird.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here from Aug 30th to Sept 1st. It was a surprise for my husband-he grew up near St Jacob's Ont and we hadn't been back to visit for a long time. I had checked out several hotels in the area and found the Destination Inn seemed the best value for the money. They had a breakfast buffet included in the room rate which none of the other hotels had. It was right across from the Conestoga Mall-which was great-did some shopping there. Also it was only about a 15min drive straight up King Street to St Jacobs. We arrived about an hour early for check in but our room was ready. The check in was fast and we were given a room on the 5th floor-room 501. It was right at the end of the hall so there was no one beside us-nice. Loved the room-nice little sitting area-loveseat and chair. The kitchenette was a great idea-sink, microwave, mini fridge and dishes and cutlery in the cupboards. There was a coffee maker on the counter. King size bed which was very comfortable, separate vanity in the bathroom with lovely toiletries and hair dryer. We had a view of a cornfield and King Street beyond that from our window. Breakfast is available from 6:00am-10:00am. They had coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juices-apple, orange , cranberry and red grapefruit. A variety of cold cereals and hot cereals, waffles with maple syrup, and toast with a variety of jams and peanut butter. Cold hard boiled eggs, choice of yogurt, croissant-with Philadelphia Cream Cheeses, choice of a variety of muffins and bagels.
We had a dip in the pool and whirlpool-pool is not huge but we enjoyed it. It is located in the basement along with a fitness room and guest laundry, Just off the main lobby by the elevator is a chair and desk with a computer on it which is available for guest use.
We would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the Waterloo area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple