“OK, but not fantastic”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Waterloo
Ontario
“OK, but not fantastic”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Room was clean, service was good. Very close to Wilfrid Laurier Universtiy, which was most convenient. Towels were abundant and nice. Bed a bit hard. Restayrnat breakfast was great. Room was too small: no closet, no place to put boots but in the room itself, and when the cot was unfolded, there was no way to walk in the room; we had to walk ON the bed. Heater was difficult to calibrate with only cool, med or warm setting. Most annoying. Noise in the halls, but it subsided after I asked the young customers.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
ComfortWaterloo, General Manager at Comfort Inn Waterloo Ontario, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Thank you so much for your honest response. I can certainly appreciate that fitting your family in a hotel room can sometimes be very frustrating and I apologize for the lack of space. As for the noise in the hallways, again my apologies, and please feel free to notify staff members should you have a concern of this kind. We may not be able to turn back what has happened but we can certainly try our best to correct it going forward and ensure that the remainder of your stay is comfortable.

Should you be staying in our region with your family again, please feel free to contact me ahead of time so that I may do my best to arrange a room with a larger footprint if available.

519-747-9400

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed December 9, 2011

When one stays at Comfort Inn, you know you will not get the amenities for a more expensive hotel. You expect only basic, clean and comfortable accommodations. I recently spent 1 night at this hotel on a business trip and I am glad it was only 1 night. From the outside, it was as expected. The desk clerk was very friendly and efficient, as were all the staff I encounters. After receiving my room key, I proceeded down the hall and was overwhelmed with the awful smell of body odor. The entire hallway simply stunk. Luckily, my room did not have the same terrible odor. However, it was freezing since the heat was not turned on. I turned on the wall heater, which was so incredibly loud you literally could not hear the television. The thermostat did not appear to work and it was either freezing or roasting, depending on if you had the heater on or not. I chose to turn it off and have the room be cold when I finally went to sleep since the unit was so loud. Two positives were the friendliness of the staff the the adjoining restaurant to the hotel. However, this hotel is well below even Comfort Inn standards. Seek shelter elsewhere if going to Waterloo.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank paradoxcapt
I apologize for your most recent stay at our property and for my late response. First and foremost I would like you to know that our hotel has recently undergone a change in management and we are doing our best to attend to the concerns of all prior complaints of guests such as yourself.
In regards to your concerns, I can attest to the stale air smell in the hallways as it was one of my first concerns upon coming here myself. In the first week of January we have installed an air circulation unit, which if you return to the hotel I think you will agree has greatly improved the air quality within the hallways. As for your in room heater, I apologize for the noise issue however I have not found this to be the case in the sample of rooms I have tested. I would sincerely like to solve this issue and so should you find yourself in the area again please feel free to contact me. I will personally ensure that your next room doesn't have these faults and if you’re willing we can discuss your prior room placement so that I may have the heater serviced immediately.
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding our staff and newly renovated restaurant.
519-747-9400

Travelers are raving about these Waterloo hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2011

terrible hotel..with terrible staff & bad organiser....

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank la c
I am sorry that you did not feel that our staff were up to our usual standard. We take great pride in our staff and their guest service oriented outlook, however should you feel that this was not the case during your stay please feel free to contact the hotel and respond with greater detail so that I may handle the issue accordingly.

Guelph, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Basic motel here. no restaurant or eating facility. ludicrous price. heat did not work but a nice lady at the front desk helped in fixing this problem. however, the fan on the heating equipment was so loud that I resorted to earplugs which were ineffective. got little sleep here in the Discomfort Inn!! Front desk staff very friendly and helpful. they can not be blamed. But is it necessary to start cleaning out the rooms at 8 am . Some of us need the extra sleep especially given lack of quiet in and around this hotel.

Room Tip: I will not be going back and would not stay there again
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Cottage country, Georgian Bay, Ontario
Reviewed September 12, 2011

stayed here on weekend of August 20/21. The room was clean and comfortable but a little pricey. The breakfast was alittle skimpy - this may be due to restaurant being closed but there was no explanation of as to this being why. Nothing extra here but not dirty or unacceptable. Basic rooms - but overpriced for offer probably because of few offers in waterloo and close to universities.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank parkwarden
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We had booked a specific room close to the front of the hotel with a late checkout for an elderly handicapped couple attending their daughter's wedding. When we arrived the room had been replaced with one that was located at the furthest point possible from the front door and was totally inaccessible. I had to argue to get another one but they finally very begrudgingly obliged. The next day the food for the complimentary breakfast was put out by staff using their bare hands ...no protective food service gloves. Then, the final straw was when the motel refused to honour the late checkout. Adding to an already stress-filled day, we had to rush to pack everything up and get out of the room. Their reason ... so they could clean it because they had overbooked and their cleaning staff left early! Although the motel is finally updating it's very dated decor, I would never recommend this location to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't be specific .. be prepared to take whatever they decide to give you!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tricia C
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Incrusted with dirt, very used and abused hotel. Nice guy at the front desk didn't make up for terrible stay. Way overpriced. Hotel needs total rehaul.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank traveller960
ComfortWaterloo, General Manager at Comfort Inn Waterloo Ontario, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Thank you for your feedback, every comment helps us improve our service, I am sorry to hear your stay fell short of your expectations, we hope if this happens again please feel welcome to come and see us at the desk and we will do our best to make your stay positive.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterloo
City Commercial Core
Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo

Been to Comfort Inn Waterloo Ontario? Share your experiences!