“Basically AMAZING BBQ”

Hog Tails BarBQue
Ranked #29 of 382 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: Southwestern, Barbecue
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband, boys and some friends have eaten a few times and tried most things on the menu now. The menu is nearly all gluten free and I love that I can eat there without worrying. The amount of food is an excellent thing when you have teenage boys! It is a great place to go when you are hungry. It is also a great place to go when you want to have a few GREAT drinks. Don't expect fancy little fussy dishes and light airy meals; this is barbeque. Barbeque at its finest in my opinion. The food is made in house with care, so they know (and can tell you) what is in it. That is a particularly rare thing in a barbeque restaurant.
Most recently, my brother had the brisket, I had the 1/2 rack of ribs, my son had pulled pork, my niece had the chicken strips (she's 3), a friend had chicken... we were a big group and I don't remember what each person had. Our sides were hush puppies, my favourite is the succotash, my husband and son had the ceasar salad. Everyone was very happy with the food.
I'm looking forward to trying their brunch!

There are newer reviews for Hog Tails BarBQue

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I had heard quite a bit about this place and, despite it being walking distance from my house, I'd never tried it.

My wife and I got a bunch of their signature food and we weren't overly impressed. It was OK, was a lot of food and the price was decent, but it didn't live up to my expectations given the word on the street I'd heard.

Don't have anything against it, but haven't tried it again since that one time.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Our first visit here based on someone's recommendation. Four people in our party. We had ribs, hog tails, chicken, pulled pork, reg fries, sweet potato fries, cornbread, jalapeño Mac and cheese, and Cajun corn. Everything was plentiful and delicious. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Zippity88
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This has become our "go to" place while in Waterloo-the only reason I don't rank it as excellent is because at least 50% of the time when we come, they are out of brisket. I understand why, as its awesome, but better supply management please!! We come about once a month, always on a Saturday night about 6:30-7. The only item we didn't enjoy is the pig tails-to dry for our taste. But other then that, we have never had a bad meal, have enjoyed everything we have ever ordered and the brisket is by far our favorite. Moist and flavorful, we ask them to go easy on the bbq sauce because the meat itself is so flavorful! Onion rings to start, brisket with collard greens and cheesy grits, washed down with REAL housemade unsweeetened ice tea!!!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Small, attentive service. Good quality food prepared on site. The owner knows what he is doing - and has won deserved awards for his "Q. Dishes are "southern: - not N or S Carolina, Kansas, or Texas - but tomato-based sauces, smokey, tender - especially the brisket.

Decent sides - although okra would be a welcome addion - currently missing.