“Great Italian food!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2012

If you're looking for real italian food the rex is the place to get it! They have great pizza choices as well. My favourite is the veal parm pizza sprinkle some parmesan cheese on it and it's heavenly! Best Ceasars (drink) in town!

1  Thank LoveToTravelCG82

Reviewed April 2, 2012

The decor leaves much to be desired, it's been about 30 years since any makeover but you can't beat the thin crust pizza and their all time specialty, veal. Don't let the appearance fool you, try it! The prices are right.

1  Thank sandybeach12
Reviewed March 6, 2012

This is in response to whyntrh8r's review.

All due respect ma'am, but I think your review is completely ridiculous. I have been enjoying dinner there since I was a child in the 60's. In all that time, I have never had a bad meal. The food is terrific and consistent.

I have had the seafood gnochi dish. While your description is accurate, I have to say that you need to know what you are ordering. Yes, the gnochi are homemade and they are fluffy and light because they are made with cheese instead of potato. The tidbits are small but they are consistent with the size of the gnochi and they are clearly cooked prior to being mixed. The alfredo sauce is very traditional.... I think you are confusing that with a creamy alfredo sauce that you can find in michalina's microwave dinners that has the consistency of a thick salad dressing. And who orders a seafood dish that has mussels if they dont like the taste of fish?!

The pizza is thin crust and very tasteful. Maybe you should see a doctor about your tastebuds. The wings are a good size and always come dry. I have never been served plain wings with sauce on the side. And i fail to see where grease would come into play when they make their hot sauce.

So Im just a local guy from Welland. I may not be well traveled or educated in the art of big city/big chain culinary, but I am sure that I would be hard pressed to find a place that could match the Rex's quality  in fine homemade  italian food and consistency that has stood the test of time. Your review insults the generations of an entire city.

1  Thank Akr_51
Reviewed September 5, 2011

As a local returning to the area, I struggle to find quality eateries in this area. Everyone raves about the food at the REX, especially the pizza. All I have to say is that if the locals think that this is good food and a great restaurant, then their complacency has really let them accept substandard as normal. My husabnd ordered the gnocchi which were, I believe, hand made on site. They were light and served al dente perfectly. He ordered it with the seafood alfredo sauce that was to incude shrimp, mussels, calamari. They were all in the sauce, the shrimp were popcorn size everything else in very small tidbits.... and all the seafood was clearly frozen and thawed by placing it in the cooking pasta/gnocchi. The sauce ended up watery and made the gnocchi taste like raw fish.. His dinner was to include dinner rolls. They never arrived until I asked for them. The server said she forgot. I went with the pizza and wing combo. Pizza was nothing spectacular. The wings were over fried to dryness.The sauce comes on the side. My first dip left me wondering why there was no taste. The sauce was served barely room temp and all of the grease had risen to the top so that when I dipped my wing into the bowl, all I got was a wing dipped into room temperature grease.......YUCK! My beverage was a soft drink which I learned at bill time, had no free refills, although soft drinks were dipensed from the bar fountain. The dining room itself is dark and dingy. I will never return. The founding owners, whose pictures are posted prominently on the walls, would be rolling in their graves.

1  Thank wynterh8r
Reviewed August 18, 2011

The food is very good, mostly Italian. The pizza is the best I've ever had.

The staff are friendly and helpful.

The decor and appointments have, shale we say, seen their day quite a while ago.

Go for the food, ignore the dated facility.

1  Thank John J