“local complacency still does not make this good food”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Rex Hotel

The Rex Hotel
Ranked #18 of 134 Restaurants in Welland
Cuisines: Italian, Bar, Pizza, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Toronto, Canada
“local complacency still does not make this good food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

As a local returning to the area, I struggle to find quality eateries in this area. Everyone raves about the food at the REX, especially the pizza. All I have to say is that if the locals think that this is good food and a great restaurant, then their complacency has really let them accept substandard as normal. My husabnd ordered the gnocchi which were, I believe, hand made on site. They were light and served al dente perfectly. He ordered it with the seafood alfredo sauce that was to incude shrimp, mussels, calamari. They were all in the sauce, the shrimp were popcorn size everything else in very small tidbits.... and all the seafood was clearly frozen and thawed by placing it in the cooking pasta/gnocchi. The sauce ended up watery and made the gnocchi taste like raw fish.. His dinner was to include dinner rolls. They never arrived until I asked for them. The server said she forgot. I went with the pizza and wing combo. Pizza was nothing spectacular. The wings were over fried to dryness.The sauce comes on the side. My first dip left me wondering why there was no taste. The sauce was served barely room temp and all of the grease had risen to the top so that when I dipped my wing into the bowl, all I got was a wing dipped into room temperature grease.......YUCK! My beverage was a soft drink which I learned at bill time, had no free refills, although soft drinks were dipensed from the bar fountain. The dining room itself is dark and dingy. I will never return. The founding owners, whose pictures are posted prominently on the walls, would be rolling in their graves.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank wynterh8r

Halifax, Canada
“Food is very good, pizza is the very best.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

The food is very good, mostly Italian. The pizza is the best I've ever had.

The staff are friendly and helpful.

The decor and appointments have, shale we say, seen their day quite a while ago.

Go for the food, ignore the dated facility.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank John J
“great homemade italian small town feel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

don't be fooled by the dingy exterior. this is a nice place with a simple but cozy interior. we had homemade pasta and sauce dishes with salad bar that was great. Cost was less than $40 for 2 (no alcohol).

3 Thank prinzmetal
“Best Italian in Welland.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

Best Italian food in welland! Great value. Must have pizza and gnocchi.

3 Thank Disamo
welland
“By far the best pizza in the region”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

I bring my family at least once a month. Great homemade Italian food and excellent pizza. It's good to go to a place where their food doesn't come out of a box.

3 Thank citybythelight