“Still good after all the years:)”

Blue Star Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 137 Restaurants in Welland
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Hamilton, Canada
“Still good after all the years:)”
Reviewed October 14, 2011

First visited the Blue Star over 30 years ago when I was a student of the Niagara college Theatre Centre. Only went here as a treat...I was a poor student to be sure. Recently, revisited the Blue Star when I visited my daughter living in Welland and also attending Niagara College. Service was slow as befits a small town but the food was just as great as I remembered. A wonderful experience revisited. Food was hot and tasty and a lot on the menu to choose from. Our server was especially nice and reminded me that the people in Welland were always most kind to out of towners. My whole family enjoyed their meals. Lots to choose from...and fresh...especially real roasted turkey. Thanks Blue Star for being a place that refused to change with the times. You still offer homestyle meals that are healthy and make people happy. I'll be back...I hope it doesn't take me another 30 years:)

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank SKSC

Welland, Canada
“Unfortunate”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

The Blue Star has been around for a very long time - as long as I can remember. It consists or a "greasy spoon" type restaurant in the front with a dining room in the rear. I've visited occasionally since I was a child. Past recollections are of tolerable "home style" food. I've been away from Welland for the last decade, but on a visit recently, my family and I stopped in once again.

The starter was a borscht - which was quite good. Unfortunately, it seems that to have a good meal at the Blue Star, one must order three bowls of borscht.

For my main dish, I ordered and Italian Trio. This is one of several "trio's" on the menu each consisting of three themed items. The Italian version was advertised as consisting of lasagna, Italian sausage and meatballs.

The lasagna was edible, consisting of fresh pasta sheets smeared with a tomato-based sauce and topped with a uniform slice of mozzarella, then heated to soften but not melt the cheese.

The sausage was ghastly. Obviously long frozen, it was like a log of compressed sawdust. Dry, devoid of taste and inedible, it remained on the plate. Just when I thought things could not get any worse, I tried the meatballs. Rolling one over, it was charred on the bottom. I cut into the dense sphere - with great difficulty - and tried to chew it...

The sausage was dry and hard, but the meatball was like a soft rock from the depth of a salty ocean. To say it was like compressed sawdust would be an undeserved compliment. It would have made a passable cannon ball, and the only taste that prevailed was that of salt. It seems entirely possible that this meatball was a leftover from the War of 1812, since given the quantity of salt, it certainly would have lasted that long. One bite was more than enough.

A decade ago, I ate at the Blue Star without serious complaint. The decor is seriously dated, but this would not prevent me from returning. The prices are average, and would not be discouraging. Service was amateurish, but friendly and would not merit a negative review. But the fact that a chef would allow this plate to leave his kitchen absolutely guarantees that I will never return.

The Blue Star has a huge menu, and I understand that they can not possibly cook everything from scratch. Obviously, the informed customer must know that dishes will be cooked from frozen. But a responsible chef would have preferred to tell a customer that he could not be served as opposed to presenting this plate. It reflects poorly on the kitchen staff and on the management.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank qqqqqqqq_7
Toronto, Canada
“This local place hits the mark on what a restaurant should deliver”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

As a returning local, I have been struggling with somewhere to eat good food, to be served by a wait staff that knows what they're doing,,a management who is on top of things, and a place that is both family friendly yet nice enough for a "date" or a special celebration of any kind. THE BUE STAR is all of this and more. The food is local,cultural,fresh, large portioned and most importantly.......VERY TASTY.
All of my life, I thought this was only the small restaurant in the front, which is moe like a diner. (Breakfast is a bargain here by the way). Then I found out the secret gem was the back restaurant, which (to my surprise) had always been there. I highly recommend this establishment. The food is homemade and you can never be dissapointed to that kind of attention.
We arrived near closing (sorry,we"re late eaters)....the staff didn't miss a beat or make us feel unwelcome even though they were clearly in the midst of closing up. All that was said was that they were out of mashed potatoes at this time as they get tossed rather than be served stale but everything else wwould be cooked fresh. Very Impressive. The food arrived as promised, piping hot and delicious. One final note.......our salads were perfectly chilled and crisp so they clearly had not been sitting around. EAT HERE PEOPLE

1 Thank wynterh8r
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best price on breakfast $4.99 bacon eggs toast. Coffee”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Best price on breakfast $4.99 bacon eggs toast. Coffee

1 Thank Billybobsbilly
Toronto, Canada
“Outdated”
Reviewed April 4, 2011

OK-to be fair the staff was great and friendly. Food was nothing special and the decor-really???? Plates were all mis-matched and drinks served in plastic cups. Didnt think places like this still existed.

Visited April 2011