“Just what we need for Downtown Welland”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bridgewater Cafe - CLOSED

The Bridgewater Cafe
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Canadian, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating
Ontario, Canada
“Just what we need for Downtown Welland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Went for a nice walk downtown and decided to try the Bridgewater, even before I had read the great reviews. Had the spinach salad which was quite excellent, hubby had a club sandwich: also excellent. Service was very good, perky staff, and the chef coming to check on us and ask how our lunches were: nice touch. We sat at an outside table which was lovely, too bad they are not licensed for the patio, as we would have loved a glass of wine. Also a shame that the cappuccino machine wasn't working. I so hope that they are successful as its a nice little section of downtown and great spot to walk to. We would love to go back for breakfast soon!

• Visited June 2013

Port Colborne, Canada
“South Niagara needs more places like this.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

We went to the Bridgewater for breakfast on a Saturday - they aren't open on Sundays yet, but will be soon. They diningroom is long and narrow and the tables not terribly well-lit, so if you like to read the paper with your breakfast, try to get one of the two window tables.
The menu is not extensive, but offers some nice choices. Our server asked if we would like coffee; we asked for tea, as neither of us cares for 'normal' coffee. However, when we went to pay our bill after the meal, we noticed that the Bridgewater has an espresso machine and an extensive coffee menu - might I suggest that the servers notify the customers that options are available? We would have loved a latte with our meal AND an espresso afterwards, and I'm sure the chef/owner would have appreciated the sale. The tea was very good and was served in a large pot - wonderful news for fellow tea lovers.
We both opted for one of the Benys (not a typo) - two eggs poached with chorizo sausage, guacamole, chipotle sauce and pico de galo ($8). I asked if the chipotle sauce was butter-based (as the dish was called a Beny, I thought it might have some variation of Hollandaise), and after some confusion, our server told us that all the benys came with a parmesan cream sauce, in this case flavoured with chipotle. I don't like butterfat, so asked if I could have the cream sauce on the side. Babe asked for extra homefries, and was told that he could order an extra portion, but that the homefries were 'like a patty'. From this description, we expected something like a rosti; what was actually on the plate was more like a serving of mashed potatoes, not the crisply fried breakfast treats we were expecting. The beny - a lightly toasted English muffin with good guacamole, two very good chorizo sausage patties, two perfectly poached eggs and a flavourful fresh tomato salsa (babe's beny also had the parmesan cream sauce) was a great idea, but the guac made the muffin soggy, especially with the liquid from the pico de galo. Still tasted good, though.
The chef/owner, Randy Dupuis, obviously knows what he's doing. Even if a few things aren't to my taste (I like a lot of textural contrast with my food and found the soft potatoes as well as the soggy muffin to be kind of disappointing), the food is fresh and flavourful and well-presented. It's a hard time to open a restaurant, and this place is worth checking out - we'll be back, for sure.

Niagara Falls
“Welcome Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our first meal at the Bridgewater Cafe today and it was delightful. The food was delicious and FRESH. My husband ordered the omelette with asparagus and goat cheese while I had the Thai chicken wrap. Excellent food, nicely presented, great service and clean, comfortable and attractive surroundings. We'll be back for sure and we'll be bringing others.

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
“Lovely Surprize”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

My wife and I were in a apry of 12 - our local hiking club - and arranged for lunch after our walk.

The choice was basically soup, salad, or breakfast. Some of us had the soup and a sandwich, my wife and I had a breakfast. My breakfast was superb - imaginative, very tasty,and well presented. I had a coffee Americano which was good but could have had more snap. I noticed the tea was served in a teapot - nice!

Decor and restaurant very nice and uppish-scale.

Our server/waitress first rate and without asking prepared separate bills. Owner/chef dropped by - nice touch.

Highly recommended.

Fonthill, Canada
“Not your standard breakfast and lunch fare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We went To Bridgewater Cafe after reading the great reviews on TripAdvisor, and were not disappointed. We were there just after the restaurant opened in the morning and it was pretty quiet. The waitress indicated that the breakfast crowd tended to come closer to 10 a.m. and that they were busier at lunch. Looking to have something other than bacon, eggs and toast, I opted for the French toast with raspberry and peanut butter. Absolutely delicious - the chef knew just how much of each to use so not to be overpowering, and also added drizzled honey, crushed peanuts along with the peanut butter, a mound of fantastic real whipped cream and 3 small pieces of fruit. Perfect! Eggs Benedict sounded great as well. I was told that the chef was originally from Queen's Landing in NOTL and it showed - the presentation was terrific. Give this place a try - we need to support good restaurants in town.

• Visited March 2013