“Flies Everywhere”
Review of Canal Inn

Canal Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Welland
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a weekend staying at the Comfort Inn in Welland. We were visiting family in St. Catharines. The hotel is is bad need of updating first of all. The worst part though was the enormous amount of flies throughout the hotel in the hallway, in our room and in the breakfast area. The rooms are old, carpet is dirty and the hotel in general is not nice at all. When we checked out, Igor at the front desk was less than helpful. He never asked how our stay was and when I mentioned about the enormous amount of flies, he blamed it on people leaving the patio doors open. He also said there are no screens on the doors. Easy fix in my opinion. He didn't seem to get the gist of my complaint. Also when asked about the promotion for staying two times at a Choice Hotel he knew no details about this promotion. Seemed odd to me especially since he works there. We would not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nancy P

Reviewed July 30, 2012

This hotel is in desparate need of updates! Our door did not lock - and I was given another room so they could fix the door. When I entered the new room - someone else was in there! How embarrassing! We wsent back to the first room and waited for the door to be fixed before we could begin our holiday! The shower was coming away from the wall, and our room smelled terrible. Although the desk staff was inexperienced, they were very friendly and tried to accommodate as best they could however the cleaning staff was by oour room before my husband was out of bed, to collect the linens (@9:45am) I realize we sisn;t have a do not disturb: sign out but that's because we didn't have one...we didn't have a remote for the television either, but again the desk staff came to the rescue with something to turn the volume down!
The breakfast area did not have enough chairs to allow guests to sit down to eat. The staff was trying to find chairs to accommodate but was only able to find one, very stained, chair for an elderly man!
We had many relatives staying at this hotel during a family gathering (10 rooms for our family alone) and all were unhappy family members during our 2-day stay. This place should be renovated and updated!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MARTINAT01
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We paid $169 for a 1 night stay. For that price we expected an above average room but we were disappointed with the run of the mill, tired and drab room which smelled bad and was worse when we turned on the AC. However the bed was comfortable, the shower was good and the breakfast was above average, offering some hot items. The back entrance door was broken which either slammed shut with a loud noise or wouldn't close at all. The in room coffee maker didn't work. One electrical outlet didn't work and the ones that did work were so loose that the plugs kept falling out. A fair price for this hotel would be $90.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank nani54
Hotel M, Front Office Manager at Canal Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and felt the price was unreasonable. We are in the midst of many rennovations, and hope to have the opportunity in the future to share with you all the exciting changes and improvements we are currently working towards. Customer satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us, and we hope that you will consider staying with us in the future, at which time we are sure you will find our property to be a comfortable and updated place to stay.
Thank you again for your time and consideration.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Cleaning staff interred room while I was in bed. Manager Leanne told me and choice privelages they were refunding my nights stay. They still took money for night from my credit card . I just called hated about issue, same ladie who checked me in told me my girlfriend should keep her mouth shut and that I had anger issues ??? Well will see what Leanne has to say in morn?

Room Tip: Don't go there,
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StewShan M
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I wanted to take my daughter to see the falls. When we got to the hotel, the front desk clerk was helping another customer who was having a problem. So we had to wait while he helped her access her room. When we went to our 1st room it was dirty. The bedding was heaped into a pile in the middle of the room. 2nd room same, 3rd room did not have keys. No additional rooms because the owner had the rooms reserved for family. So we had to go to the front desk to gain access to our room. One extra trip to the front desk for cups and towels (room was short). The next morning the breakfast room was felt like it was 100 degrees. Out of OJ and cranberry juice. I talked with the manager about a partial refund. She assured me she would. Its been a week with no response or partial refund from the hotel.

Room Tip: would choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Hotel M, Manager at Canal Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Hello Fred,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We at the Comfort Inn Welland, take pride in ensuring quality rooms and great customer service is offered. I can ensure you that these problems will not occur again. I encourage you to book with us again and when you do, I will personally make sure that we have me all your needs.

Manager

Reviewed March 22, 2012

Last tuesday was my stay at Comfort Inn, The room i lived in was with king bed and had a good look and i liked it immediately after entering into room. Welcome by the front desk service provider was great as behavior was friendly. Just wana say that room was good and enjoyed breakfast provided over there. Enjoyed staying at Comfort Inn with great Comfort with my Gf

Room Tip: Try zakuji room which i have not tried yet in Comfort Inn as it was booked. Next stay will be In tha...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank SAPIL
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I usually book at this hotel couple of times a year, and this time when I came back, the hotel is totally changed. I got bacon and eggs for breakfast, my room has Flat screen tv and the staff is great. I need help with directions and agent was helpful in getting them printed. Rooms were clean and the bedding was comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask to put breakfast out early and they will do it for you.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank Kevin S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Welland
Best Western Plus Rose City Suites
Comfort Inn Lundy's Lane
Comfort Inn Lundy's Lane
#43 of 128 in Niagara Falls
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#8 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Best Western Plus Cairn Croft Hotel
The Peninsula Inn
The Peninsula Inn
#12 of 128 in Niagara Falls
Four Points by Sheraton St. Catharines Niagara Suites

Been to Canal Inn? Share your experiences!