“Terrible bed - Had to check out after one night” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Whitby

Residence Inn Whitby
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Whitby
Moncton, Canada
“Terrible bed - Had to check out after one night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

I had booked a multi-nights stay at this Marriott recently and simply couldn't sleep on the bed. The beds are bad, way too soft. I ended up sleeping on the floor with the sofa cushions. I call them for some help, but poor receptionist... I understood that there was nothing she could do at 1am. I am a frequent traveler but will avoid this location from now on.

IF YOU LIKE SOFT BEDS, the rooms are really nice.

They accommodated my early checkout, but that was it. The lobby was in such terrible shape the next morning, it looked like the cleaning service was on strike or something.

Never got a call from anyone or follow up.

1 Thank NJBasque
WhitbyRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Whitby, responded to this review, February 24, 2014

Dear NJBasque,
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us.I apologize that you did not have a good night sleep because your mattress was too soft. We use Simmons Beauty Rest Mattress and that is standard for all Residence Inn. We normally get a lot of compliments on them and we actually had a guest buy 2 of them for their home last week. It really depends on your personal preference when it comes to a mattress. Regarding the salt on our lobby floor, as you know this has been a terrible winter in terms of snow fall and ice, and we want to ensure that our parking lot is clear of snow and ice so we salt it as often as needed. Now when guests come in and out of the hotel, they normally track that salt inside and we vacuum and mop at least once every hour but sometimes it does get messy inside and we apologize. We hope to see you again when next you are in Durham Region.

Subash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

This is your pretty standard Residence Inn. An odd mix of amenities by room. The appliances differ in each of the rooms I've stayed, some with a fill range, others with just burner top and microwave.

Each room was also laid out a little differently, some with a closet by the kitchen others without.

When I stay at Residence Inn I usually like to cook my meals. There are plenty of utensils, but I'd recommend giving them a wash first as several times I found the dishes dusty or stained with food. The GM indicated they are more of an occasional property and don't have many long term guests.

Always fresh cookies in the lobby and in my room upon arrival. Managers reception food was good as was breakfast.

Always willing to hold my staples (pasta, olive oil, Salt and Pepper, salad vinegar, etc) over the weekend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WhitbyRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Whitby, responded to this review, March 7, 2014

Dear FQTV_IT_NURSE,
Thank you for the comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us. I 'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I also thank you for choosing Residence Inn, as it sounds as if you always stay with the brand. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Durham Region.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Stay in hotels often and the this chain of hotels has the best staff and amenities. I have stayed in Kingston courtyard, Marriott downtown Ottawa and now Residence in Whitby. I have always received service that is above and beyond. All staff is helpful, courteous, and seems to honestly care about the guest, they hire amazing people. Huge rooms, very comfy. If you have choice always go with Marriott, even if 10 or 20 more then other hotels I'm telling you it's worth it. Family of 4 so free WiFi, pool and microwave and fridge in rooms is great for budget. Even rooms with full fridge and stove. Another bonus point arrived at 1:30 after driving in snowstorm and lady at front desk found us room no waiting till 3 in lobby. Will never stay anywhere Marriott from now on.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
WhitbyRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Whitby, responded to this review, January 27, 2014

Dear JessicaValinsky,
Thank you for the great comments regarding your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. You have sold our property and all Marriott properties as if you work for us, I couldn't have described it any better. We look forward to welcoming your family again the next time you are in Whitby.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

This Residence Inn is located very close to highway 401 and a lot of local businesses nearby, especially those lining up Consumers Drive, where this property is. The staff are friendly and the amenities are typical of a Residence Inn. Although it does not have the bells and whistle of upscale hotels, it is quite suitable for business travelers who are visiting the local companies.

Dear Laopu,
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our property on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you once again when next you are in Whitby.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

My wife and I have stayed here a few times on trips from the UK but always in Summer until now. Our experience this time was just as good - clean comfortable suite, excellent facilities and location, excellent breakfasts and option of evening meal 4 nights/week, and the most friendly, helpful, courteous staff I have ever come across. Reception, cleaning, maintainance and laundry staff all appear happy and greeted guests with a smile. Although this time our room overlooked the busy road and, beyond that, the 401, traffic noise was never a problem. The weather was grim but staff kept the car parking areas fairly free of ice and snow. One word of warning - Friday and Saturday nights, the place was over-run with families attending hockey tournaments. Parental control appeared to be an alien concept to some and the corridor on our floor became a hockey practice area for youger kids while the lobby was taken over by sullen, older youths who made access to the lifts awkward at times. The appearance of a security man later in the evening resolved the problem and our night's sleep was never disturbed.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alf1951_13
WhitbyRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Whitby, responded to this review, January 20, 2014

Dear Alf1951_13,
Thank you for the great comments that you posted on TripAdvisor regarding your last stay with us. I am glad that you used us in the winter time as well as the summer time. We aim to ensure that regardless of when you stay, that we exceed all of your expectations. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

We had a four full day training this week - we were very impressed with the quality of customer service for our group, the extra attention we received from the Director of Sales and Marketing, Jacque MacMillian was very much appreciated. Our group of adults had special needs due to chronic health conditions, and she went out of her way to ensure the meeting met all our needs both in venue and catering. the staff that helped with the catering needs were very friendly. thumbs up, a pleasure to have had our training at this facility and will most certainly book there again in the future.

Dear Diana M.
Thank you for your kind words of gratitude on TripAdvisor regarding your meeting that was at our property. I will pass on your comments to Jacque and the rest of the staff. It was our pleasure having you here with us and we look forward to having you again in the near future.

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I was visiting a friend who lives locally and he decided to get a suite at the Marriott Residence Inn for my stay. I can see a lot of effort has gone into training the staff as they were always helpful and friendly. The hotel has a lot extras, such as a hot breakfast and a light supper from Monday to Thursdays. The rooms are quite a decent size compared to other hotel rooms and suites I have stayed at. The rooms were always nice and clean when my friend and I returned from a day out sightseeing. It was good to have laundry facilities on site. It only cost $1.50 to do a load of washing and another $1.50 for the dryer. The previous hotel I stayed at in Chicago wanted to charge several dollars per item of clothing. The only downside to this hotel was the extremely slow Internet. It even struggled to upload a photo to facebook. Even though the Internet was complimentary I have had other hotels provide Internet which was comparably faster. It is good that Marriott has restored their image in my own eyes after a much negative experience I had at the one in Toronto last year. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Roger B.
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your last stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations and that you continue to enjoy staying at Marriott properties. We look forward to having you stay with us again when you are visiting Durham Region.

Subash
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitby
Quality Suites
#2 of 7 in Whitby
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown
Vanier
Travelodge Oshawa Whitby

Been to Residence Inn Whitby? Share your experiences!