“Great for business not so for families. N”

Residence Inn Whitby
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Whitby
London, Canada
“Great for business not so for families. N”
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here many times for sports. It is a challenge for a family since none of rooms have 2 beds. They do have a uncomfortable pullout.

Breakfast is good
Internet is fast
Hospitality happy hour is good depending on day. They don't have it on weekends.
Right off the 401. Easy access.

Stayed December 2013
WhitbyRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Whitby, responded to this review, December 14, 2013

Dear Dan459us,
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. I do appreciatte the fact that you continue to use us for your sports weekend, we actually have many teams that use us year after year and they do book many months in advance. They all comment on how great it is to have a full kitchen in each room as this saves them money on having to eat out. They also love the breakfast and make use of the BBQ area and everyone loves the saltwater pool. Again, thank you for your wonderful comments.

Subash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel a couple of times over the last several months.

The hotel is very clean and the rooms are very spacious. We had a one bedroom suite during our first visit and opted for the studio for the second. Both suites are very nice...the difference between the two types of room is that the one bedroom has a separate door to the bedroom and an extra tv. Studio was big enough and the bed is still in a separate area of the suite. Very comfortable indeed.

The hotel has a very nice pool and hot tub. Used both facilities both times. Very clean. They do have a very small "gym" surrounded by mirrors which makes it look much bigger....adequate but only so so.

A full breakfast is also included with their room. Hot and cold foods are available in buffet style. Very nice dining room and lots of room....food was very good.

Tea/coffee/hot chocolate are always available free of charge in the "breakfast area" of the main floor 24 hours a day.

The location is very close to hwy 401 and for those who wish to travel by GO Transit into Toronto, you are very close to the GO Train station at Brock Street (5 minutes by car).

Will definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
WhitbyRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Whitby, responded to this review, November 27, 2013

Dear Macdon,
Thank you very much for your review about our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am elated that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, you described our hotel and amenities as if you worked for us and for that I thank you again. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I was a guest at this Residence Inn in November, 2013 for one night. I am a dedicated guest at Marriott-chain hotels and have extensive experience with their "Residence Inn" line. Although the staff was friendly and supportive when called upon, and the room was clean, this property is the poorest I have experienced. It was just not up to the standard Residence Inn. The room (suite) was unusually small and the "queen" bed seemed under-sized and definitely way too soft for a comfortable sleep. The breakfast was also below standard with very limited selection. All in all the location should not be a Residence Inn; perhaps it belongs at the Fairfield Inn level.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NJCan

Dear NJCan,
Thank you for the comments you posted on TripAdvisor about your recent stay with us. I do apologize that you feel that our property is not up to 'Residence Inn' standards, our beds are actually queen size and they are fairly new (replaced last year) and we do get many compliments on them, guests actually inquire about purchasing them for their homes, but I guess it depends on your preference. Regarding breakfast, we do offer a hot and cold full breakfast buffet, and that includes pancakes, waffles, french toast, breakfast potatoes, breakfast sausages, bacon, eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruit, toast, muffins, and other pastries. I do hope you would give us a chance the next time you are in Durham Region and we can show you what a great hotel we are.

Vaughan, Canada
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Had chance to say at this hotel for a few times (each stay lasted one or two nights). Overall it is quite a good experience. Staffs are very friendly, rooms are clean and comfortable. They gave me a free upgrade to a nice two-bedroom suite from a one bedroom suite in one stay. Good breakfast choices. Close to shopping and highway 401. The only thing to watch out is to ask for a room not facing the street as traffic noise in early morning can be disturbing. Also, some rooms have noisy vents when heat is on. Was often awakened during night. Not sure it is normal or not. I seemed not to have this issue when staying at the Holiday Inn Express next door.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the street. Tell staff you need a room with quiet vent
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Dear YorkRegionYnot,
Thank you for your wonderful comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we would be happy to have you stay with us the next time you are in the area.

Ottawa
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I recently found myself on a business trip with a bit of an awkward timetable. My attempt to ask for a late checkout (still well prior to check-in time) was firmly rebuffed. I offered to pay a fee to check-out late. Still rebuffed. Too much hassle for the maids. I would have to call in the morning and see if this was possible. The desk clerk went to the back to see a manager who did not come out and speak to me. It was like the games they play at a car dealership.

I really had an issue with the lack of service and lack of effort. A Marriott should do better than this.

I really was in a tough spot so I picked up the phone called the Holiday Inn Express right next door, explained my situation and a manager there took care of my needs, giving me a late checkout free of charge even though I still offered to pay. Attitude at the front desk was very, very different, much more service oriented and pleasant.

The service contrast speaks for itself.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
WhitbyRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Whitby, responded to this review, November 12, 2013

Dear SteadyEddieOttawa,
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a comment about our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectation with regards to a late check out request. We were sold out and that was the reason that we could not accommodate your equest. We do try our very best to give as many late check outs as we can but please understand that the guest that is checking in also wants to get into their room as soon as possible. If you are ever in this area again, we would love for you to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectation. Should you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to contact me directly.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at the Residence Inn Whitby and found it roomy, comfortable and clean. We enjoyed the quiet the first 2 days, but on the weekend a hockey team of young boys occupied our floor. Our hallway turned into a combination hockey rink, playground and meeting place, with many of the parents joining in the gathering. Running, laughter, loud conversation/shouting, and slamming doors continued past 11 pm, in addition to a yappy dog in the next room. As we returned to our room, stepping over the kids laying in the hall, one of the parents wondered why they would put us in a room surrounded by the hockey team. When we checked in on Wednesday, the hotel seemed largely empty and I don't see why staff couldn't foresee our weekend surroundings, and put us in a room in another part of the hotel. On our next trip to Whitby, I think we'll try the Holiday Inn Express next door.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Rick E.
Thank you for the wonderful comments about your most recent stay with us, I do apologize that the last 2 nights of your stay was disturbed by the hockey team that was on the same floor as yourself. We do try our best to ensure that teams are blocked on different floors than our leisure and corporate guests, however that is not always possible. I apologize that we didn't do a better job of ensuring that your stay was not hindered by these teams. I do look forward to having you stay with us again and experiencing what you did during your first 2 days with us on this recent trip. Please feel free to contact me when you are ready to make your reservations and I will ensure that you are well taken care of.

Subash
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitby
Quality Suites
#2 of 7 in Whitby
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown - Toronto Area
Vanier
Travelodge Oshawa Whitby

Been to Residence Inn Whitby? Share your experiences!