“Affordable but small”

Motel 6 Whitby
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Whitby
“Affordable but small”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

I really enjoyed that it was Pet friendly but unfortunately there was a lot of doggie doodoo left for us responsible pet owners to dodge. The rooms were clean but very small, the beds weren't so comfortable. Loved that there are lots of restaurants around and the location is great for hockey tournaments!! It was less than 15 minutes to all of the arenas:) If we had to stay there again we probably would. Not recommended for families who have more than 2 kids because the rooms are too small...

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Vincents6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Eastern Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night. Very basic small hotel room with no extra perks such as: hair dryer, ironing board & iron, fridge or microwave, no breakfast included except for coffee. But I guess you get what you pay for which was less expensive than other hotels in the area. Our room was clean, no complaints there. However, I wasn't all that impressed with the customer service reps at the check-in desk. One lady rolled her eyes as another guest walked away. I asked another employee if the tap water was drinkable (believe it or not, I've been to some areas in Ontario where it was discouraged to drink the water). The man looked at me like I was crazy, told me everyone there drinks the water & I'm not in Mexico city!!
If you want a simple room for cheaper, I'd recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Alliston, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

Ok I know that when you stay at a hotel, the saying is "you get what you pay for". None of the families in our young hockey group were expecting much, but we did expect our rooms to be CLEAN!
On arrival, the big joke was the decor. Ok so you felt like you were staying in a kids room from the 70's, no big deal. HOWEVER when we first arrived and I used our bathroom, there was long black hair all over the floor and also on the white towels! No one in my family has hair like that and no one else had been in the bathroom. YUK! So I asked the girl at the front desk if someone would go and clean the bathroom. She was very pleasant, apologized that the bathroom wasn't acceptable and offered to move us to another floor. My son was there with his hockey team and really wanted to be on the same floor as them, so I said we would stay where we were, I just wanted the bathroom clean. Since we were on our way to a hockey game, I said there was lots of time, but I would like it done by the time we got back. When we returned I was told that the cleaning staff had already gone home and the front desk staff were not allowed to go into the rooms. YUK. OK I took one of the towels and mopped around the floor in the bathroom, YUK. Around midnight, we saw a family with their bags in their hands heading for the elevator. We asked if they were leaving and they said they were being a moved to another room because their bed sheets were dirty with things apparently from the previous guests. YUK!!!! So the rest of us decided it would be a good idea to check our beds carefully before getting in. Well our beds also had "stuff" in them like hair and other things I do not wish to describe. I went to the front desk to talk to the gentleman working the night shift. He agreed that the condition of our rooms was unacceptable, and said there was nothing he could do and I should speak to the manager in the morning. We slept in our clothes, my son was in tears because he was so grossed out, and when my eyes opened at 6 am I couldn't get packed up and out of that room fast enough. Another family said there was mouse poop behind their bathroom door, and other families also had dirty sheets. YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!
We went to the nearby Sunset Grill for breakfast (it was awesome). My husband and I spoke with the manager when she finally arrived at 10am, and her unbelieveable response was "What do you want me to do? Everyone makes mistakes" OMG!!!!!!!! What kind of a manager says that????? In the end we got our room for free, but I still feel sick to my stomach when I think of how disgusting our experience was. Do yourself a favour, spend a little more and go to a clean hotel.

• Stayed April 2011
4 Thank familytravelsxoxo
1907WhitbyM6, Owner at Motel 6 Whitby, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
i want to take this opportunity to thank you for your feed back and apologize for the poor service you experienced in our property. i can assure you that we will be looking into these matters; at Motel 6, we strive to offer a clean , comfortable and safe room at the best rates of any national chain and we hope that your team will give our brand another chance.

Xavier Icardo
Vice President of Operations.

Travelers are raving about these Whitby hotels

Barrie, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

Not only was the hotel staff unorganized, and unprofessional. The lobby, hallways, and rooms were beyond dirty. From un swept laminate floors, long black hair on towels, and sheets. Clumps of hair in the bathrooms, around the toilet, in the sink, on the counter. This is just the beginning. I would highly recommend that you stay anywhere but here. The mattresses were of the cheapest quality. You felt the springs no matter how many layers of towels you tried to use as padding. I could go on and on. However if you are unsure of whether to believe this review. Take a look inside the lobby. From the front desk clerk adjusting her bra, and making personal phone calls on her cell phone, (Amanda) to the rotten smell of a dead animal in the elevator, you will soon realize how true this review is.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank TravellingWillie
1907WhitbyM6, Owner at Motel 6 Whitby, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Thank you for your feed back regarding our property in Whitby; i want to take this opportunity to apologize for the unacceptable service you have experienced while staying in our hotel; i can assure you that i will personally look into this matter. At motel 6 , we strive to offer a clean, comfortable and safe room at the best rates of any national chain, and i hope that you will give our brand another chance ,

Xavier Icardo
Vice president of Operations.
Mont St. Hilaire, Quebec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2010

good location,clean and inexpensive. people that work there are polite and helpful. I recommend this motel to travelers. Restaurants and gasoline station near by and close to highway 401.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank kilometerbob
1907WhitbyM6, Manager at Motel 6 Whitby, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Thanks a lot for your feed back ! it is always great to hear from our satisfied guests : i will forward your kind comments to staff members working during your stay : we hope to see you again soon !

Amanda Harding
General Manager.
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed a Friday and a Saturday night at this motel, and there is nothing particularily bad about it. It is low cost lodgings, and was good value for 1/2 the price of some places. The room and the bed were clean and comfortable, the water was hot, the TV worked, the vending and ice machines worked, and you can walk to a number of restaurants.
My only complaint would be that they need better soundproofing on the doors; you can hear the people in the hallways. If they just installed sweeps on the doors to cover the gap between the floor and the door a lot of the noise would be eliminated.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WindsorTraveller
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We have stayed here before, nothing special just cheep prices. This time the air conditioning isnt working and there is nothing they can do about it. No bathroom plug and ice machine is broken so we have to go to another floor for ice. Next time even the price wont make me stay here. I am trying to sleep but the sweat keept running down my face. Worst place I have stayed in.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank reader1234
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitby
Quality Suites
#2 of 7 in Whitby
Vanier
Travelodge Oshawa Whitby
Residence Inn Whitby
#1 of 7 in Whitby
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown - Toronto Area

Been to Motel 6 Whitby? Share your experiences!