“Great service”

Ranked #125 of 324 Restaurants in Whitby
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: Our famous fajitas are served up fresh - from the warm flour tortillas to the guacamole and the salsa. Wood fire grilled AAA steaks and smokehouse ribs are all prepared in the barbecue pit. Lone Star guarantees great food, warm southern hospitality, and a good time. We are Canada's only authentic Texas restaurant - the real deal...TEXAS to the BONE!
Toronto, Canada
“Great service”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Lets start this review with the service rather than the food which they scored A+ on. The hostess and waitress where all very lively and inviting. My friend and I went here to have dinner last night. His steak was not properly made so they re-did it for him, gave him a discount on it and gave him a salad to compensate for the mistake. As for myself, the Sante Fe Sandwich I had tried was great tasting with mesquite grilled chicken. The only problem I experienced was that I don't eat bacon and there was plenty of it on my salad - but this was a personal fault since I hadn't mentioned it at time of ordering so I just picked it off. The server was attentive and remained inviting throughout, overall a great experience in my new area of Whitby.

• Visited December 2013

Oshawa, Canada
“Food was Disgusting.”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My family and I decided to have a family members, birthday lunch there today. Worst mistake we've ever made. They're was 12 in our party, majority over 30. First mistake it took the waitress atleast 25 minutes to get the majority of the drinks to the table. We had to remind her twice about missed drinks. Someone's tea was even missing the teabag in the pot.
It pretty much went downhill from there
. We then waited almost 45 minutes for our food. Thank god for the corn chips and salsa, which they refilled 4 times while we all waited. My lunch arrived cold, my steak was gray inside, along with my 10 shriveled up fries, and dried out vegetables. Which was sent back and I then got the fajitas which, I didn't eat because the meat was still bleeding. At that point, I just gave up on having lunch. My daughter's steak and salad resembled something that looked more like road kill. Everything about the meal, the service was absolutely disgusting.

• Visited November 2013
Lone Star T, Guest Relations Manager at Lone Star Texas Grill, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Hi Kristina, we're very sorry to hear you were not pleased with your Lone Star experience. Please contact me at scout@lstg.ca
Peterborough, Canada
“Not bad for a restaurant chain”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was looking for somewhere that would be fast, a good value and have things on the menu a vegetarian could eat. Having eaten at other Lone Star restaurants I was confident this one would fit my needs, and I wasn't disappointed. Though the room was extremely busy, staff were quick and attentive to our table, even allowing me to order of menu a bit. The rest of my table did well with steaks and ribs, more than they could eat and the kitchen whipped me up a veggie enchilada without batting an eye. If you 're looking for a good family tex-mex, this Lone Star will do just nicely.

• Visited October 2013
Coldwater
“Food was horrible”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I used to go to the Lone Star in Toronto all the time and even though it was a chain restaurant the food was always fresh and tasted good. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for this location. It is dark and dreary. The servers are friendly but don't seem to understand that they are at work not having an opportunity to catch up with other servers or flirt with the bartender.

I don't know what is so hard about serving fresh tasty TexMex food. While the taco chips are fresh that is where the positives end. The guacamole was disgusting, it was over processed and had the consistency of whipped butter. Ugh!! Guacamole is supposed to be coarsely chopped with onions in it. I have no idea what recipe they are using but please get rid of it ASAP.

My chicken enchilada was so dry it tasted like sawdust, no flavour, no juiciness, nothing in the middle except dry, dry chicken. The soft taco shell may have been freshly made but was way too thick. I felt like I was eating dessicated chicken in a rolled up newspaper. I asked for more taco sauce to improve the flavour but it was like flogging a dead horse. The salsa had too much cilantro in it, I love cilantro but come on, there is actually a proper way to make this stuff.

Since it was inedible I called over the waitress to show her the meal. I explained how dry and unappetizing it was, and she said "yeah, they don't know how to make it properly" . Whoa!! Really?? She offered to comp the meal, and I certainly wasn't going to say no. I told her not to comp the wine since it was the only thing ordered that I was actually going to consume. I still left her a decent tip though, since she wasn't responsible for what came out of the kitchen.

I will never, ever go back to this restaurant. I think it highly unlikely they can redeem themselves. I love Mexican food; both my husband and I make great Mexican and Tex/Mex food and we ask for recipes from all the great restaurants we have visited. Not to worry Lone Star, your secret recipes are safe.

• Visited August 2013
Lone Star T, Guest Relations Manager at Lone Star Texas Grill, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hi, I am very sorry to hear your experience with our food was not up to our high Lone Star standards. Please contact me at scout@lstg.ca to discuss in further detail
Whitby, Ontario
“Birthday party”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The service was great, food was great. This was a very good place for a birthday party. The kids loved climbing on the saddle and watching the tacos being made.

• Visited September 2013