“Great Hotel!!!”

Holiday Inn Express Whitby Oshawa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here on July 8th and 9th while visiting Toronto and my sister in law who lives in Oshawa. Check in was a breeze, beds were comfortable, hot continental breakfast was above average. The a/c worked great for us and the room had no odour. There is a few resteraunts across the street. We ate at the Kelsey's one night as the food there is always reliable.
I will worn people this is a no frills basic lodging experience, if you go in with that frame of mind you will be happy, those expecting 4 or 5 star service and amenities should look elsewhere, with that being said as far as basic lodging goes you couldn't ask for a better hotel.
I would also like to thank the hotel and there staff for discovering and holding on to our laptop that we left behind. My wife is a school teacher and she had many hours of lesson plans,and contacts on her laptop. This is an item that could have easily disappeared and knowone would have been the wiser but instead we called the hotel the night we arrived home and were advised to call the manager in the morning, so after a sleepless night we called the manager and after I gave the brand and colour she did say she had it and we easily made arrangements for my sister in law to retrieve the laptop. We were relieved to say the least.
Thanks again Holiday Inn Whitby, phenominal staff, great hotel. I would not hesitate to stay here again.
Highly Recommended!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank stevel71

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Here's the list of problems from a 3-night stay...
1. On check-in, half of the room had damp carpet and room had musty, mildewy stench. Air conditioner not working. Called desk 3 times, finally an answer on the 4th try and was told hotel sold out. Toughed it out overnight and moved everything the next day down a floor...our time and effort, no apology or offer of discount for our trouble!
2. New room, TV doesn't work. Smell slightly less objectionable, but still had a distinctly musty odor. Oddly the hallways do not smell bad; quite fresh actually? Maintenance provided a new remote. TV still doesn't work. After several more unanswered calls to front desk, was connected to manager who offered 15% off our first night. Wow! A whole $19 off my $129.99 per night. After expressing dissatisfaction at this, were offered 25% off entire stay...OK with us.
3. Minutes later...decided to have a quick shower and handle fell off into tub. Could not shut water off! More unanswered calls to front desk. Maintenance came to room with manager...water's been running 40 minutes now. It will take an hour to replace shower valve. Water shut off and no place to get ready to go out. Yay! Maintenance reprogrammed TV and that works now.
4. Second night, requested a wake up call at 7am. Got a call at 5am. Wife called desk to make sure we were going to get our 7am call and that it had not been entered wrong. No problem we're told. Got a call at 6am. Called desk again 3 times no answer. Heard on elevator and breakfast area that many guests had received calls like us all night long, unable to sleep. Hotel offered them a discount. We inquired that evening and were told that we'd need to speak with them in the morning as nobody on night shift could authorize. At checkout next day they refused also as no manager was there to authorize. During none of these events was the word "sorry" used by anyone working at the hotel. How hard is that??

Would I recommend this hotel to anybody? I don't dislike anybody that much! Holiday Inn should be embarrassed to have a hotel like this in it's chain.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Dave P
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Our race team recently stayed at the HIE Whitby Oshawa hotel for 6 nights while competing at an event at Mosport in Bowmanville, Ontario. The hotel is located near the highway and is about 30 – 45 minutes drive from the track, depending on the traffic.

On the surface, the HIE Whitby Oshawa appears to be a modern looking hotel. However, a few things at the hotel appear to be older than the rest. Top of the list – the air conditioner units. The A/C units could use improvement. The A/C unit only functioned on two temperatures – arctic cold or stuffy hot. We attempted on several occasions to choose a temperature that was comfortable, but it just did not seem possible. In addition, the air coming from the unit was extremely humid.

That being said, the front desk did provide us with extra blankets upon request, and that seemed to resolve the problem (we set the A/C on arctic and kept from freezing with the extra blankets)
Speaking of the front desk, the front desk staff was reasonably friendly, however, there was a mix up with one of our guests at check in. Even though we confirmed and re-confirmed that the front desk staff had all of our guests names, when two of our guests attempted to check in, they were told that no room had been reserved for them. They ended up going across the street to the Motel 6 and did not come back.

The hotel offers free Wi-Fi, which works great. They also offer breakfast (toast, scrambled eggs, pastries, coffee, cereal, etc.) which is just so-so. Other HIE’s usually have a pancake or waffle maker, but this location did not.

This hotel is OK for a night or two, but for a longer stay, it might be worthwhile to look into one of the local bed and breakfasts or another hotel considering the quality for price paid at this location.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Denise S
Meg B, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Whitby Oshawa, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your experience was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and our staff for any negative aspects of your stay. We always enjoy having all the Racing Groups stay with us.

Being a twelve year old hotel, we are constantly updating/improving features on our property to remain up to date. That being said, our Air Conditioner units are what we are currently working on, so I am pleased to say you will see an improvement on your next stay.

Regarding the breakfast, it is a hot continental breakfast, so it does include such things as a type of meat, and a type of egg. We do also have a pancake maker; however it happened to be in for repair during your stay. It is back up and running now. I apologize for the unfortunate timing!

And finally, regarding the guests that went across the street, I am aware of this, and we did have the room for him, it was just not under the name he had given, and he did not have a confirmation number. I let him know we did have the room, we just needed either a confirmation number or name of his roommate to ensure we were giving him the correct room keys. He had just stepped out of the hotel to confirm who’s name the room was under, but then I later found out he never came back.

I would take pleasure in welcoming you back in the future so that you can experience the hotel as it was meant to be. Please feel free to contact myself directly via the details below if you are looking to book rooms again so that I may personally take care of you on your next stay.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope your races went well!

905-665-8400 Ext. 502

Reviewed July 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel overnight after a Mosport Racing Experience in Bowmanville (very cool!). The hotel is easy to find, and very clean. We booked a jacuzzi room, and the jacuzzi was very clean and right beside the bed in the main room. We didn't end up using it as we were just so tired after our day.

We were given the first room beside the lobby on the main floor, right beside the ice machine and door to lobby. The ice machine turned on and off, humming all night, and woke me up several times. The air conditioner was also very loud. Irritating! We asked to move away from the ice machine but was told the hotel was sold out. Oh well. Service was great and we received a bag of water, chips and granola bar on arrival because we are Priority Club members. The free breakfast in the morning was fine with some hot items, and good coffee. All in all a decent stay. Would stay there again but not on the ground floor.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the highest floor away from ice machine when you make the reservation.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LisaBOttawa
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Booked early for two nights for a wedding nearby and had a very nice room 3 doors from the east entrance with all amnemities. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel is so handy to highway 401 and also the Go Train. The only problem was we could not get an extension on our room due to the hotel being completely booked for the balance of the weekend.

Room Tip: Book your rooms well ahead of time
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Basswood72
Meg B, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Whitby Oshawa, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you so much for your review!
I am so glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us!
If you are ever in the area again and need a room, feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to personally set up your reservations.

Kind regards,
sales@expresswhitby.com

Reviewed July 10, 2012

this property was very nice looking building on the outside very well kept and clean when you walked in the lobby was very nice and clean the staff was very friendly and helpful the room was very clean and comfortable overall i would rate this property a 10 and i would most definetly stay there again

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jhall115
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback.
So happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we would be happy to have you back!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

I booked this hotel for our wedding guests and the Jacuzzi Suite for our wedding night in February (or so I thought). When reserving the room and booking the Suite I signed and returned an agreement. When confirming the booking the week of the wedding they informed me that the Jacuzzi Suite was already booked at the time of booking (in February) and they were waiting for the other guest to cancel. At first, they offered a $10 discount for a choice of two down-graded rooms. After being put on hold a number of times, transfered, and then sent to voicemail, I called back within a minute and was told that the Sales Manager I was dealing with was now dealing with another customer (my issue must not have been that important). Then after being told by the woman at the front desk that she was too busy to confirm one of our wedding guests was staying there I was transfered to the manager. He tried to sell me on giving me a "better" room (which is clearly less expensive and not as nice). Then told me he could offer an even better price for the "better" room for "$99, which is like giving it to me for free". Obviously free is free, plus I had 6 other guests staying at the hotel, which we worked out to be approximately $1000 worth of business.

Not to mention the "special" rate for our guests that we agreed to in February was more expensive than the online rate leading up to the wedding.

They also told one of my guests that the wedding block was all booked up - which was not true.

I called head-office, who were much more polite. Although, I did have to call and explain my situation twice because I was put on hold and disconnected. They also told me they would call me the next day, which never happened.

Anyways, the Marriott Residence Inn next door were very accomodating as they immediately lowered their rate (by $30) to match the rate for all of our guests. Plus, offered my bride and I a double-room at the same rate as our guests. They also managed to meet the request of having chocolates for each of our guests.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GottaLoveTrips
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Dear Guest

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and our staff for your experience. The interaction with our staff members with regards to your comments about the overbooking of the Jacuzzi Suite is certainly not typical and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire service team as a training exercise.

I would take pleasure in welcoming you back in the future so that you can experience the hotel as it was meant to be. Please feel free to contact myself directly via the below details if you are looking to book rooms again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope you and your new bride had a perfect wedding day. Congratulations!

905-665-8400 Ext. 502

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitby
Residence Inn Whitby
#1 of 7 in Whitby
Quality Suites
#3 of 7 in Whitby
Downtown Oshawa
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown - Toronto Area
Vanier
Travelodge Oshawa Whitby

Been to Holiday Inn Express Whitby Oshawa? Share your experiences!