“Huge inside, beautiful central luster, dim sum so so, terrible service”
Review of Kam Fung

Kam Fung
Ranked #26 of 220 Restaurants in Brossard
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2012

When we arrived (we were 3) there were a lot of people waiting to be seated, the lady at the entrance gave me my queuing number, we waited about 10 minutes to be seated ( reasonable wait considering the horde of people waiting). The inside of the restaurant is huge with a lot of tables, decoration is very basic through the giant central luster is magnificiant. The ladies with the food carts were efficients, but we had to ask a waiter for some soy sauce because there is no soy sauce nor chili sauce provided on each table like I'mused to. They only provide 2 couples of mustard beside hoisin sauce ( not very used to eat my dim sum with these sauces, kind of weird but people around me looked satisfied with that, maybe due to the influences of the Quebecois eating habits)... The same waiter passed several times in front of our table but just ignored our earlier request, so I had to shout and hailed another waiter who brought us within 5 mn the so precious soy sauce ( never thought I had to literally beg for soy sauce in a Dim Sum restaurant!). But by the time the soy sauce arrived, my chicken feets and other dim sums were cold. They were just okay, massively produced for the large number of customers. They lacked of delicacy in the overall preparation. I would say Kam Fung is more a restaurant to stuff your stomach rather than a restaurant who please your palate and heart ( don't we forget the meaning of Dim Sum = touch the heart!)
One suggestion to Kim Fung, is to have more consideration for your customers and to hire more waiters ( we only see 3 waiters for the huge restaurant regardless the cart ladies).
People kept on coming to Kim Fung because it's huge and there are not so many other Dim Sum restaurants (like in other part of the world). From my point of view, I would also add that people are coming here out of choice! I hope that one fine day, a Truly Good Dim Sum restaurant will open and raise the bar!

Veronica K, Manager at Kam Fung, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. In fact we did hired more staffs during the summer season due to the fact that we see our business is growing. We will train our waiters to pay more attention to our clients needs. And yes, Kam Fung is more a family restaurant than a high class restaurant. We try to provide good food, improve our efficiency in service, maintain the restaurant presentation and at the same time keeping our price reasonable. Thank you again

Reviewed July 13, 2012

We were 4 adults and 2 children and we really enjoyed the food once we actually got it. I do really recommend the dim sum and the scallops. The pad thai was average. However the service was below average and it took forever to get what we ordered - and even then they missed some of it…

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Went for Dim Sum on a Saturday morning before the crowd... it was great, straight in and was seated immediately... the servers were efficient and the trolleys were around frequent since it wasn't busy yet... the food was fresh and i can admit that it is one of the better dim sum i have ever tasted... and i am from NYC... would def recommend for travelers if you are in the area... by the time we left, there was a queue and the parking lot was full, so i'd advise to go early...

Reviewed April 4, 2012

I went there for a sunday brunch of dim sum.

Food was very good and a lot of choice. I like Chinese dim sum for brunch i feel that it's more healthy the traditional eggs and bacon.
One of my favorite dish was the ha-cao which are shrimp and some kind of rice paste.
Very tasty and one order comes in 4 so you can share it or not ! :)

Cheers,

Eric Van Nguyen

2  Thank EricVanNguyen
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Went for dim sum. The restaurant is immense and yet the wait was about 35 minutes. The dim sum was as good as their branch in Montreal, but be careful with dishes that have been going around for a bit too long as they can be cold. A few items we don't see at the Montreal branch. Some of the waiters had a bit more "attitude" than the downtown branch.