“Horrible fusion Asian food - poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Rouge

Rouge
Ranked #26 of 213 Restaurants in Brossard
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Thai
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Montreal
“Horrible fusion Asian food - poor service”
Reviewed November 12, 2009

I was attracted by the nice looking decor and modern, young look of the restaurant from the outside, so decided to give it a try with my partner last night. The first thing I noticed was that there were very few people in the restaurant. I figured this was no big deal as it was getting late for a Thursday (around 8.40pm). However it was hard to ignore the raucous sounds of a big crowd over at the Italian restaurant next door.

We were seated in a booth and served quickly. The waiter was friendly enough and we asked him for some recommendations of popular dishes. I eventually decided on salt and pepper squid (starter) and General Tao chicken. He then mindlessly walked off before my partner could place her order. Very strange indeed. We tried to get his attention but he did not return until he brought out my starter. My partner didn't mind, she said she'll just get a main and ordered the orange beef dish. I reminded the waiter that he forgot our drinks.

So I started munging into the calamari. It initially seemed quite nice. However I soon realised that I was literally eating mouthful upon mouthful of saturated fat. The rings were mostly batter and were heavily salted. I was pissed that I didn't have a drink to wash it down with.

Eventually the main meals came out. The waiter again forgot our drinks. The meals were absolutely grotesque. My chicken consisted of massive "chicken" balls that were deep friend and contained only a small amount of chicken in the center (a mix of batter and chicken). The balls were drenched in sweet and sour sauce (hooray for originality of flavours). I ate about 1/3 of my meal and felt like I'd put on about 3 kilos on the spot.

My girlfriend's orange beef was even worse, she hardly touched it. It was a mountain of dried deep fried beef, again saturated in some sweet sauce. It looked like someone had poured an entire tray of those disgusting shopping mall MSG infested dishes onto her plate (and topped it off with a few cuts of salad).

We did not bother complaining about the food as we already felt sick, unhappy and wanted to try make amends by rushing off to the movie theater before it closed.

The place looked nice but I honestly would not take my dog to this restaurant.

1 Thank daburone1

Montreal
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Definitely a place to try!”
Reviewed December 1, 2008

My family and I celebrated my birthday at Rouge this past weekend and we had a really nice night out there. I didn't expect the decor to be as modern and it had a very zen feel to it. Most of us took the table d'hote (ranging from $24-28) - which included a soup, appetizer, main meal, dessert and coffee. A very good deal for what you get - Plus the portions are very generous. I had the Salt & Pepper Shrimp and it was to die for!!!! The shrimps were huge and were so tasty!!!! My dad had the calamari as the entree and it was delicious. My mom had the Seafood Nest - We were impressed at how generous they were with their seafood.... My brother had the Pad Thai ~ there was a mountain of noodles - (wish it was a little more spicy) - SErvice was friendly - We stayed quite late and the waitress did not rush us - Overall, our experience was a truly pleasant one. Will definitely be back.

1 Thank briannalewis
DDO
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great find on the South Shore”
Reviewed October 8, 2008

Really good restaurant with beautiful decor! Drove all the way from the West Island and was not disappointed one bit. Generous portions and the prices are extremely reasonable. General Tao is a must! I love this dish, but find that the batter usually overwhelms small morsels of chicken - not the case here! The service is a bit delayed, but understandable for a new restaurant - definitely well worth the wait! Will make another visit to Brossard soon.

West Island Foodie

1 Thank WestIslandFoodie
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“A very chic resto, but when it comes to food... Oh please sell some furniture so you can hire a chef cook!”
Reviewed August 17, 2008

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Montreal, Canada
“rouge”
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Had lunch a Rouge a couple of weeks ago and will not return, when food arrived at the table it was so beautiful we could not wait to dig in, it was steaming hot and smelled so good. When we starting eating the food it lacked taste, everything tasted the same, BLAND. We asked for our food to be extra spicy, clearly the chef doesn,t know what spice is. The general tao's chicken were giant dough balls with a speck of chicken in the middle, the noodles were over done and mushy, although the vegetables were perfectly cooked they were tastless, there are way better Asian resto's on the South Shore than this!!!!

1 Thank MontrealKid