“WONDERFUL OVERNIGHT HOTEL”

Montreal Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Dorval
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I choose this hotel for our overnight stays in Montreal for a number of reasons, the first being its location. It's just a nice walk from your arrival gate to the Hotel - gets the blood moving again after being cooped up in an aeroplane.

But what a surprise! This hotel is lovely. The front desk staff are excellent and knowledgeable and very pleased to have you stay with them - it feels like they've been awaiting your arrival and are anxious to ensure that everything goes smoothly for you. Security is important to us and some airport hotels are anything but secure, but the Marriott has a wonderful system.

The rooms are very well appointed and sleeping accommodations are superb. I've never slept in a hotel bed with sheets as nice as what we use at home and never have I slept so well in a hotel room.

Usually the complaint of most women is the lack of sufficient lighting - not so at the Marriott. Both the room lighting and bathroom lighting are excellent and the shower is one I would like to have at home!

We enjoyed a light meal in the dining room served by a very attentive waiter who spoke both English and French fluently. The meal was served very promptly (coffee was just a little slow arriving) and we were able to catch up on the hockey scores with a quick "pass through" in the bar.

Check out at 4:30 am was effortless - our invoice was slipped into our room under the door and we simply passed in the key and made our way to the departure desk - a totally seamless transaction.

Would I stay there again - of course I would - this was our third stay. Would I recommend it - indeed I would. I note that there are some comments about the hotel being expensive. We did not find it expensive (much less than we've paid for other hotels not on Airport property) and definitely the convenience would negate any extra expense. All in all, a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mtl_Airport_Marriott, General Manager at Montreal Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay and giving our hotel such high recommendations to other travellers. We greatly appreciate your positive feedback on our services and facilities and are so happy to hear that you start off your vacations with a stay at our hotel - it truly is the perfect way to kick off a vacation with quick and easy access to all the airline departure gates!

Our team thanks you for making the Montreal Airport Marriott a part of your vacation itinerary and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is definitely the best hotel I have stayed at or near an airport location. Marriott should switch the category type from a 4 to a 6. This is a full service hotel that has an amazing staff lead by Tania at the front desk. She is definitely a gem!!...If you plan a layover in Montreal or are scheduled to take a flight early in the morning, it's definitely worth while to stay there. The restaurant is fabulous and the staff will take excellent care of you. The rooms are plush and the bed are very comfortable with the sheets being so soft. Showers are very spacious and the concierge lounge is upscale and serves warm breakfast with smoked salmon and fresh fruit and pastries.
Everytime I have a chance to stop in Montreal, whether it's for pleasure, business or on a layover, I will make it a point to stay at the Montreal Airport Marriott....It's convenient and simple; just take the elevator down and you are almost at your gate to board your plane.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

What can beat the convenience of checking out a walking to your departure gate in less than ten minutes. But this hotel goes beyond convenience. The staff is very professional and works hard to make sure your stay is perfect. Rooms are very elegant, the bar service and food quite good. If you have a longer stay you can catch the convenient 747 bus to downtown for the evening. It's 9 dollars , good for 24 hours and you can use it on the subway and buses once you are in the city.
I will stay here when passing through , especially for early morning flights. No more rising in the middle of the night to make it to the airport on time

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel is attached to the airport which makes catching my 6 a.m. flight so much easier. The room was clean. This is one of Marriot's newly renovated European themed rooms. Have stayed here twice and would stay again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Marriott at the Airport is a good hotel, it's a 5 min walk inside the terminal building from the arrivals area to the front desk. Just follow the "Hotel signs" and keep to the right as you reach the front of the airport building, you'll want to use the lift and head to the upper walkway and scoot past the US departure area.

The Hotel is quite upscale and therefore has prices to match. The staff are friendly and professional and you'll soon be in your room. Beds are comfortable and the rooms are finished to a very high standard, way above the normal Marriott levels.

If you get the right side of the hotel you can watch the runway and just sometimes you can hear a plane on take off, this was the A380 after all!

Food is good and the bar food is tasty and value for money, the bar area itself is good although some of the seats are a victory for style over comfort.

The business area is very good and right next to an Illy coffee bar, although its opening hours seemed a little random, would be nice if they posted the times?

Now the downside of the Airport Marriott is its possible to never leave the airport, I attended for a conference and didn't see the outside world, so do make an effort to escape even if its only for dinner. If you just need one night before a trip it makes a great base.

The combination of a great shower and a nice breakfast should set you up for your flight nicely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the runway side, always fun to see an airport at work.....
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Arrived at this hotel excited as our past experiences here have always been great.

We arrived at 8:30 pm to a room we had reserved at least 2 months in advance. To our dismay we arrived to find that there were only king bedded rooms available. This was upsetting as we had put in our additional comments that we were travelling with a teen aged boy with special needs.

The clerk at the desk informed me that I had not specified what type of room I needed when booking. This seemed strange to me as I clearly put 3 guests in the on line booking. I asked what could we do to remedy this situation. I asked if there was a cot, or an adjoining room or even another room we could book. The clerk said he would check to see what he could do..He called someone on the phone and while on the phone he announced

"Madame, you are a very lucky woman tonight, we have 1 cot left" I had been assigned the last cot in the hotel and it would be delivered to my room immediately.

I was satisfied with this solution. Our son has Autism and we wanted to get him to bed as soon as possible to avoid any problems on the airplane the next day.

So we went to our room and waited. After 1 hour I called the front desk, they connected me to housekeeping where a woman told me that it would be right up they were getting me sheets for the cot. We waited another 45 minutes and I went down to the front desk. I was then informed that I must have missed the cot as it was being delivered to our room as we spoke. By 12 midnight I was very frustrated. I had basically given up hope.

Suddenly our phone rang and it was the man from the front desk. He asked if our "cot" had arrived in our room to our satisfaction. I was furious. No it had not arrived I informed him. Oh he said that is correct actually there are not more cots in the hotel. He informed me that they had delivered the cot to the wrong room, and that we would not be getting a bed for our Autistic son.

I was livid. Why would he call to ask if our cot had arrived if he knew they had delivered it to the wrong room. I was then informed that they could send up a few blankets and we could make a bed on the floor for our son. This was outrageous to us. I flat out refused to sleep anyone on a floor in a hotel. So when I refused this option he told me that there was nothing they could do for me.

He then informed me that they often have 3 and 4 people share a king bed in their hotel. I was astonished and wondered how and who would put that many people in 1 bed. Afer a long discussion with the man at the front desk, I was eventually told that there was nothing they could do for me and that the hotel was fully booked up. I was informed it was my fault and my problem not the hotel's. Wow that is great customer service.

So in the end all 3 of us slept in the same King size bed. Mom, Dad and 12 year old disabled child. It was a night that I will never forget.

We were sadly disappointed by Marriott.

The irony of this was that we had also booked a room for the night of our return flight, it was interesting to see that they had prebooked us into a 2 queen room for that night.

Will I ever stay at this hotel again?

The convenience of the hotel is great. You walk out of the hotel area and right to the departure gates. The rooms are clean, and comfortable. The service was terrible. I cannot tolerate a person who looks you in the face and lies to you about something. If there was not a cot when we checked in tell us that and let us find suitable accommodations or book a second room. But do not promise us something and then tell us after midnight that we are out of luck and there is nothing that can be done to remedy the situation.

I am a frequent Marriott patron. I have their rewards card. I have used their timeshare facilities. And usually enjoy their service. I am not sure what happened that night, but it made me want to never stay at Marriott again. We travel for pleasure at least 10 weeks of the year with our family. We enjoy luxury and quality and for the price of $289 plus taxes for the night I would have expected more from them. I have contacted Marriott but have never had a return phone call. We are due to travel for 1 month around California in July and had originally planned to use Marriott properties. I am now in the process of rethinking our plans.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Mtl_Airport_Marriott, General Manager at Montreal Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to bring to our attention the unfortunate situation you and your family experienced upon your last stay at our hotel. As previous guests who always enjoyed their stay at our hotel, we were very surprised to learn that your last stay did not at all meet your expectations. We truly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and that we failed to deliver our usual level of excellent service. As you mentioned, you have always been satisfied with our services in the past and we regret that this isolated incident has left you disappointed with Marriott.

We have looked into the situation and would like to have the opportunity to further discuss this incident with you. We would greatly appreciate if you would contact our Director of Rooms by calling our hotel directly at your convenience.

We thank you for your patronage and sincerely hope to have another opportunity to welcome you and your family back to the Montreal Airport Marriott. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times since the hotel opened and always found the property first class backed by some great helpful and accommodating staffs.

One drawback is trying to locate the property if you are driving. The signage and construction around this part of the airport is an absolute nightmare, but you figure it out after you have circled the airport a couple of times, patience is the key!

The staffs and especially the check in staff are very helpful and friendly. They are always eager to help out in any way they can to make your stay comfortable.

The rooms are quite expensive during the week and mostly used by business people and a few in transit as the hotel is directly attached to the airport. The rooms are fairly large in size and very comfortable – internet is only free in the lobby and one has to ask for the code.

The fitness center is nicely appointed; however the pool is extremely small and can only handle a couple of people at a time doing laps.

The restaurant and bar are expensive as one would expect at an airport hotel and the food is so - so, however it is the only option unless one wishes to leave the airport for downtown Montreal as the dining options in the immediate vicinity are pretty scarce.

If business brings you to this part of the city and a higher end comfortable stay is what you are after then this property is a good bet – I certainly would have no qualms in returning.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorval
Dorval / Airport / Train Station
Aloft Montreal Airport
Aloft Montreal Airport
#49 of 165 in Montreal

Been to Montreal Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel? Share your experiences!