“Great fries”

Add it.
Nickel's Delicatessan
Ranked #47 of 103 Restaurants in Dorval
Reviewed October 28, 2018 via mobile

Good service has steak sub and fries. Delicious. Fast friendly service nice set up in front with big windows

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed September 26, 2018

This is my second review of this restaurant in a year. When it first opened, I couldn't praise it enough. Well...what a difference a year makes! The coleslaw was inedible, the taste was so bad, the bread was old , and the smoked meat tasted like it had been kept in boiling water to stay warm. The once glorious shoe-string fries, were terrible.
I spoke to the manager who tried to reassure me that nothing had changed in a year. Really? The marvelous manager from last year was gone, and obviously took quality with him!
Don't waste your money. Go next door, or certainly don't go for the smoked meat platter.
Our waitress Elizabeth was very nice.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 15, 2018

I was in the mood for a burger and Nickel's signs and advertisements suggest this is one of their specialties. Before I dive into the details of this "burger", this particular Nickel's is new to this location (Jardins Dorval) so everything is fresh and clean. I was very pleased to see that plastic straws are provided only if requested, in line with environmental concerns about plastic waste (FYI, scientists report that within 30 years the total weight of plastic in our oceans will outweigh that of fishes)! I was also pleased to see that the condiments on the tables are "French" ketchup and mustard (both of which made in Canada and not imported). They have wifi and do offer delivery service via Uber drivers.

I also like that the restaurant's kitchen is within view of the patrons. The kitchen looked clean and the cook(s) were wearing hair nets. I was disappointed to see a microwave which they used to heat up some mashed potato for a different order (I assume).

I ordered the advertised special, Angus beef burger with fries and a shake for $14.99. The side pickle I ordered cost an extra $0.50 and all in with taxes and tip it came up to $20.21.

The fries were really good. They were hot and well seasoned which is a nice touch considering so many places do not salt their fries. The side coleslaw was fresh but really minimal in terms of portion (two fork dips and you're done with the coleslaw). The shake was mediocre, very liquid and close to room temperature. The burger was just horrible! The meat was dry, overcooked and so bland. I was halfway through the meal when the waiter came and did the usual "how's everything?". I pointed out that the meat was way overcooked. He immediately went on a rant that it's the Law and all burgers must be well done. It is true that in Canada, you will not find many places that would serve you a medium-rare burger. This is due to regional and provincial health guidelines/regulations and inspectors are quick to fine restaurants. The ask is that hamburger beef be cooked to a temperature of 71C (or 159.8F). Certified Angus Beef is considered well done at this temperature and should have little to no pink. However, at these temperatures and higher you have killed any remnants of taste and nutritional elements of the meat. My burger was even beyond that temperature and shoe leather would probably have been more nutritional and savory. Again, it was horrible.

Considering the price ($20.21), I expected a certain quality to the food and the overall experience. Instead, it was average food overall, horrible burger with Chef Mike (aka microwave) having a notable presence in the kitchen.

If you go, I'd suggest a pasta or something else but avoid the burger (unless you like shoe leather in which case you'll be in for a treat!).

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 16, 2018

Average Restaurant Average food, service is OK, and It's ok for a quick lunch or snack. Plenty of parking and easy in and out.

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank edora2018
Reviewed July 11, 2018

Stopped in after a long day of travel. Had the smoked meat. As I am not from around these parts , I didn't know what this was. It was OK for lunch. I guess I will have to try it in some other places to compare. I had an Ice cream sunday that should have been yummy. Not really Just ok. I wouldn't go back. But you can try if you want to

Date of visit: June 2018