“on our way to Ontario”

Best Western Plus Hotel Universel Drummondville
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Drummondville
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We booked this hotel because it allowed pets and was about half way from PEI to Ontario. The room was well appointed although in need of a bit of paint. The front desk staff was very good with no problem helping us in english. Our room had direct access to the outside which was a real plus when walking our small dog. Really impressed with the restaurant for a hotel restaurant the selection was very good although a bit pricey, good atmosphere and service, they do a potato dish that is like a scalloped potato with an egg base and a spice that I couldnt identify and they wouldnt share. It was excellent

Room Tip: If not taking a pet you might want to get an upper level room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kevin H

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Our night was a noisy one - it looked like there may have been a hockey tournament the next day and the was a lot of running up and down the halls and shouting. That said, this wasn't the hotels fault. The bilingual staff were very friendly with a super fast check-in process. The room was pretty standard for best westerns, the bed was comfortable and had a newer duvet style cover on it. The "secure" parking was kind of funny consisting of a 2x4 wooden arm coming down to block car access to the open parking lot behind with a 4" curb. That said, it was well lit, with easy access to the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on September 12 , 2013 on our way home from Sudbury Ontario to Moncton NB. It is situated off the highway at half way which was convenient. It is a bit dated but we had a nice quiet room with two comfortable beds and lot of pillow which was nice if you want to watch TV.
Room service served us two excellent meals. They had an excellent seafood crepes with lots of shrimp and large scallops and lots of cheese all serve with fresh vegetable. Yummy!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Guyfleblanc
Joannie B, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Hotel Universel Drummondville, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Bonjour

Thank you for taking the time to complete this reviews following your visit to the Best Western Plus Hôtel Universel.

Your comments on our performance were most generous and shall be passed on to the appropriate staff members. It is always gratifying to know that our efforts were effective and appreciated.

The restaurant ‘La Verrière’ offers a varied menu as ‘table d'hôte’ served at the restaurant or the a la carte menu available at the restaurant and rooms service for a small extra. The restaurant close at 10pm and we have a bar, called ‘El Casino’ where you can eat before 10pm and take a drink until the close.

Concerning ours rooms, we have planned some renovations for them in the near future.

We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Best Western Plus Hôtel Universel the time you are in Drummondville. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We decided to overnight here as it was close to the highway and we were just staying one night . The rooms were clean and the staff was very helpful . We were worried that there might be a language problem but that was not the case at all . All staff was very helpful .

Room Tip: We ate in the dining room here and although there was not a lot on the menu that we understood the f...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Icemar
Joannie B, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Hotel Universel Drummondville, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Bonjour

Thank you for you cooperation in taking the time to complete our comment card following your visit to the Best Western Plus Hôtel Universel.

All front desk employee need to be bilingual and all of our menu are in French and English. For the breakfast we had a buffet every day until 6 am to 9:30 am.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Spending the night in Drummondville was a last minute decision and there wasn't very much hotel availability the weekend that I visited the area. First, I booked my room via Priceline. I found the rate a little higher than warranted for the area, but there were few options at that point. What I didn't realize when I made the reservation was that there a huge wedding scheduled for the same night.

I am fairly confident that the hotel staff gave us the worst room in the entire hotel. From our room, we could here every noise from the wedding reception below until it finished - around 3am. The noise was so loud that we could literally hear entire conversations. Of course, we didn't realize that the placement of the room would be problematic until we got back from a long day of sight-seeing and were trying to get much needed rest. Had we gotten back to the hotel any earlier and realized the wedding noise would be a problem, we would have requested a different room. Either way, I'd recommend that anyone staying at this hotel during an event be careful where the hotel places you.

The hotel itself was nothing spectacular, but it was perfectly fine for a quick trip. The amenities were really closer to the 2 1/2 stars level in my opinion. One plus was that Wi-fi internet was included in our hotel rate. We had the breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant. It was ok, but it wasn't included in the hotel rate. The price was pretty steep especially considering that coffee was an extra cost. All in all, I probably will avoid this hotel if I ever make it back to Drummondville.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wandering03

Bonjour

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western Plus Hôtel Universel Drummondville. We appreciate you taking the time to write and hope you will accept our apologies for any inconvenience your experienced.

We are disappointed we failed to give you the fine attention and considerations we strive for with all our guest have a good stay. We have investigated your comments and we will all take immediate corrective action.

Alos we are a Best Western Plus and we have some standards to respect and we are and four stars hotel. When we have wedding in our meeting rooms, we placed the entire weeding group on the same floor and we try to put the other guests on other floor to minimize the noise.

We appreciate your patronage and hope you will stay with us at the Best Western Plus Hôtel Universel the next time you are in Drummondville. I can assure you we will do everything we can to make your stay a comfortable and happy one as we illustrate that what happened to you was an unfortunate exception to our normally high quality of service.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I recently stayed at the Best Western Plus in Drummondville and forgot my tablet. I called the hotel as soon as I realized I had left it there. The front desk took down my name and told me they would call back to let my know if it was found. Moments later I received the call that they found it and they would ship it to my home immediately. When I received the package a few days later, my charger that I had forgot as well but I didn't mentioned in the call, was in the package. In the past at other hotels my mom experienced things stolen from her room or taken from the cleaning staff. This hotel went beyond my expectations and made it super easy to get my tablet back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Joannie B, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Hotel Universel Drummondville, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Bonjour,

We are pleased to confirm the honesty of our employees. All objects found in the rooms are listed in safety and they are sorted by item number and everything is managed directly at the reception. This usually makes it easier when customers contact us when they realize that their object is missing. These are kept for a maximum period of 3 months.

It is a pleasure to read your comment and I'll make sure the departments concerned have to be made aware of it.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I am writing to inform you of the unclean conditions we endured during a recent overnight stay at your Drummondville Best Western. Unfortunately we got somewhat lost during our Eastern trek through Quebec to New Brunswick so decided to pull in for 1 night’s stay at this hotel. Having stayed before at the Best Western in Ganonoque, ON we were expecting similar pricing and amenities(about $120 which included a continental breakfast) but not so at all! I was charged $189 for the night which I was told included a 5% CAA discount. Coffee maker in the room was as close as I would come to any complimentary food. This hotel is rated with 3 stars by CAA but I cannot see any reason for this. I decided to use the pool and spa facilities and after getting into the hot tub, I realized what I thought was cloudy water, was thick scum all along the walls of the tub. This spa should not have been open to the public. I got out and went back to my room to shower the bacteria off my skin and that was when I found fecal matter on the bathroom floor. I don’t know why I didn’t immediately call housekeeping in but I was about to shower so was inconvenienced so just cleaned the mess myself! After showering, I tried to connect on the internet to send an email home to notify family that I was staying in Drummondville rather than my original destination. I was never able to connect using the password given me at check in. I had to place a long distance mobile phone call instead. The next day, when checking out I did mention that to the desk clerk who said it is often hard to connect, even for her due to the volume of users. This did not seem credible. I absolutely would not eat in the restaurant having seen how unclean and likely germ covered the other facilities were but saw on the menu something like $4.50 just for 2 eggs anyways.
Needless to say, I deliberately avoided Drummondville on my return trip and in fact did not stay in a single Best Western facility during my entire vacation. I plan to post this here on Trip Advisor and any other social media and did send an email to the Manager but have had no reply yet. Wish I had taken pics to post but just beware!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Joannie B, Responsable réception at Best Western Plus Hotel Universel Drummondville, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Bonjour,

I must confess to you that we have all been surprised by your comment and we also agree that this is not part of our usual quality standards. We have informed all the departments of your misadventure to avoid that this does not happen, we also repaid the entire cost cashed after your visit. We hope that this can help offset following this story.

The cost of the rooms vary greatly and we are in high season, what makes that the rate is higher. Also, all Best Western are manage independently, therefore at the discretion of the owner for prices established, and the CAA rate is 10% discount had also been applied.
With regard to the Internet we will do an analysis of our network coverage in the hotel to make sure no fault.

For the restaurant, we offer a buffet all day from 6:00 AM to 9:30 AM which offers a very good value for money. Be sure that hygiene standards higher are applied.
In regards to the cleanliness of the spa, the water is cloudy the air produced by the jets. However it is not normal to find dirt on the surface, we proceed to a complete emptying of the spa in all 48 h. Unfortunately, when the traffic is strong find it us difficult to make disinfection when approached.

In conclusion, we strive to give our customers a pleasant stay and we are disappointed that yours was not

Also consider these accommodations in or near Drummondville
Hotel & Suites Le Dauphin Drummondville
#7 of 7 in Drummondville
Days Inn - Ste. Helene-de-Bagot
Days Inn - Ste. Helene-de-Bagot
#1 of 1 in Sainte-Helene-de-Bagot

Been to Best Western Plus Hotel Universel Drummondville? Share your experiences!