“Good spot for Lunch or Dinner”
Review of Crazy Weed

Crazy Weed
Ranked #6 of 121 Restaurants in Canmore
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: bow valley trail
Description: This Canmore destination restaurant established in 1997 by Jan and Richard Hrabec is renowned for its eclectic approach to food, wine and ambience. Dishes at Crazyweed utilize local ingredients. The menu includes gluten- and dairy-free options, and is vegetarian friendly. Crazyweed's contemporary décor includes big windows, mountain views and an open kitchen with wood burning oven. The restaurant boasts an intimate patio and ample parking. CBC food critic John Gilchrist called Crazyweed a "10 out of 10," and it has been featured on the Food Network's You Gotta Eat Here.
Calgary, Canada
“Good spot for Lunch or Dinner”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Crazy Weed is a popular restaurant located in downtown Canmore. They have an awesome patio for when the weather is nice and funky interior. Three of us came here for lunch after a hike nearby. They have an interesting menu, with a good collection of salads, burgers, sandwiches and entrees to chose from at lunch. If you feel like drinking, their beer and wine list is very extensive, and great selection of local and international offerings. My fellow diners really enjoyed the soup of the day and their burger was filling and tasty. I had the thai chicken salad; overall the flavours were very nice and it was beautifully presented, but I felt the portion was very tiny for the price paid. Compared to the portion sizes of their sandwiches, the salad came in a tiny bowl and I counted two tiny chopped pieces of avocado and three small little slices of mandarin oranges in the entire thing. I would like to come back for dinner since their have a more extensive menu and try out some of their other dishes.

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Bonnyville, Canada
“A meal you can rely on.”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Crazy Weed was recommended by a family member who liked it so much they went twice during their stay. Had I been in Canmore longer I would have returned as well. The restaurant was fresh, modern and clean. The menu, as outlined on the website, represents a thoughtful variety of flavours and cuisines. I ordered the red curry seafood which the waiter warned me was hot. I decided to chance it and yes, my nose was running. However it was scrumptious. The portion, served in a pasta bowl with rice on the side to add as desired, was very large. I only finished it because I was loving it so much. My friend order the scallops and gnocchi which was a slightly smaller portion. It received high praises as well. I liked that after a day of shopping in town, the restaurant was at the edge of the townsite, in nearby trees and mountain view. The patio was clean and well spaced for privacy. As I said, I will eat there again. The entrees were averaging $30 but we didn't want all the other courses so it was not unlike many of the other offerings in town. If we had ordered appetizers or salads and had a dessert, it would have been a special occasion, budget-wise.

Vancouver Island, Canada
“Not overly impressed”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Years ago it was a funky downtown restaurant. Now it's all light, bright and sparky near a shopping mall. Full marks for ambiance and mountain views. As the name implies it goes for the trendy, youthful image. it's a no condiments on the table kind of place and they make their own ketchup. We were there for lunch on an early May Saturday when the sun shone and it was unusually warm. We ordered a nice glass of wine and chatted as we awaited our order. At the point when you wonder if they have forgotten you, the waiter appeared to tell us there was a back-up in the kitchen. The place was barely half full and we had only gone for a standard duck confit sandwich and a chicken salad so the question was - why? When the food did arrive our waiter moved to the adjacent table to give them the same kitchen back-up tale.
Duck is always a bit tricky because it's such a fatty meat. The confit came in a toasted sandwich and frankly it was greasy. I don't know if it was the duck or the toasting or a combination of both. it was accompanied by bread and butter pickles and a salad. The pickles, clearly out of a jar, hardly challenged the chef's artistic ability and the salad lacked zing. It was fresh and the dressing was excellent yet it was boring. A couple of leaves of arugula, maybe a half cherry tomato for colour; It needed something to give it character, some bite. Having been critical, I must go on to say my wife thought her chicken salad was quite excellent on every level.
A half bottle of wine cost $25 and the whole lunch with tip ran close to $80 for two which we thought quite reasonable. Despite the kitchen thing, the wait staff were attentive and knowledgeable. Leaving I visited the washroom. It was immaculate although there were tourist brochures strewn on the floor and they were out of paper towel. Maybe it just wasn't my day.

Calgary, Canada
“Excellent lunch spot”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Treating myself to a day of shopping in Canmore- much better than Banff unless you are looking for overpriced jewelry- I also treated myself to lunch at Crazyweed. Although I chose to sit inside there is a patio for people who want to sit outside in the beautiful sunny weather. I am a big fan of good, interesting salads usually only found in better restaurants in the States, but the Thai chicken salad ranks right up there with the best. It was beautifully presented- the yam chips add a dash of color- with lots of quality ingredients and a tangy citrus/peanut dressing. It was also a full meal size even though it is shown in the small plates section of the menu. The coffee they serve is also of a good quality- not your typical restaurant coffe which is usually either too strong or too weak.

“Best lunch in Canmore”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Modern cuisine. Modern fit-out. Great wine list. Good coffee (by Canadian standards).

Interesting food.

In its own stand-alone building, with plenty of parking.

Interesting cocktails. Good starters suited for sharing.

Very friendly and attentive service.

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

• Visited January 2013