“Fabulous Food! 10 out of 10 in my book!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Crazyweed Kitchen

Crazyweed Kitchen
Ranked #6 of 119 Restaurants in Canmore
Cuisines: Asian, International, Canadian, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: bow valley trail
Description: This Canmore destination restaurant established in 1997 by Jan and Richard Hrabec is renowned for its eclectic approach to food, wine and ambience. Dishes at Crazyweed utilize local ingredients. The menu includes gluten- and dairy-free options, and is vegetarian friendly. Crazyweed's contemporary décor includes big windows, mountain views and an open kitchen with wood burning oven. The restaurant boasts an intimate patio and ample parking. CBC food critic John Gilchrist called Crazyweed a "10 out of 10," and it has been featured on the Food Network's You Gotta Eat Here.
Alberta, Canada
“Fabulous Food! 10 out of 10 in my book!”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Jan is a truly gifted chef. Her pairing of flavours is inspired -- delicate, surprising combinations that never fail to please. I have been there for many lunches and dinners and have never found the quality to be less than excellent. Very good selection of wines; service is great; atmosphere is light and airy. (I even love the bathrooms)

• Visited October 2011

• Polish first
Portland, Oregon
“What a neat place with delicious food!”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We dined late Saturday night on our last night in town and had the best time. They were kind enough to still serve us when I think it was already 8:45pm. We started w/the Vietnamese meatballs which were absolutely perfect with the light lime dipping sauce. I've been craving them ever since we left! I paired this with the comfort food that is a perfect wonton soup and spring roll. The server suggested I add some white rice to make the soup into a more filling entree. Grrrreat idea! With our meal we enjoyed a delicious red wine from Walla Walla, WA and they offered to decant it since they already knew this particular bottle would have more sediment than usual. Our servers were so hospitable and after a while we practically had the whole place to ourselves. The art and photography framed around all the walls was brilliant. The environment was upscale, comfortable and contemporary. I loved that they support local farmers and suppliers! What a fantastic way to end the perfect winter vacation.

Calgary, Canada
“Pass....”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We were super excited with the prospect of this restaurant specifically because John Gilchrist gave it a 10 of 10 rating and historically his rating and comments closely shadow my own opinion(s) so his rare 10 more than peaked my/our curiosity. We made reservations to witness the experience for ourselves.
We were seated in a small hallway between open areas and to the one direction there was a large table (that seated a large family with children – there was at least 10 in total) that was filled just after we were seated (this will be important later).
We were in Canmore specifically to dine at Crazyweed and relax so time was not a pressing issue. However we waited 20 mins before our waitress came to take our drink orders this stared my concern but everyone at my table defended the restaurant and ensured it was a small oversight and the overall experience would make this a none existent memory. We ordered drinks and a bottle of wine. The drinks came fairly promptly and shortly thereafter the wine was corked and poured. This is basically where it ended. I had to go and track down our waitress to place an order. All drinks and the bottle of wine were gone, this was at the 1 hr and 20 min mark. We order appetizers (mostly different types of the wings) and food hopefully to eat before closing. The appetizers arrived roughly ½ hr later (and were cold), once again my dinning guests tried to overshadow the experience thus far with a zealous (they are the most genuinely nice non judgmental people I have ever met) rating of the wings. I thought the wings were ok but asked them if they have had equal or better wings, on average, in past outings and they agreed given the hype, taste wise average to good, mixed with timing and temperature, below average. We waited 45 mins and our waitress dropped in (no visits inbetween the first drinks were the only we had or were offered) to tell us that 2 entrees that we order they were out of and we should maybe supplement a salad or something depending on how hungry we were…. We ordered some supplemental food. An aside: the large family with the children were given a similar story that food that they had ordered they were out of, they maybe wanted to order something else and they were visibly annoyed. The food arrived it was cold and below average. Then came the bill… the supplemental food was not comped or even reduced. This is when I had personally had more than I could overlook, I went to the front to discuss. The owner came and told me they were and upscale restaurant that has reservation booking 2 weeks in advance and he did not care or need our business (he gave the same speech to the father of the large table who was waiting to talk to the owner after myself). This is when I told him that it is probably a good move not putting up a visible sign to alert the public of this restaurant so the new owners that will purchase his failure would not have to remove it to put up their sign. All in all one of the worst dining experiences I have had and will not return. I still have huge faith in John, everyone has a bad day. I have since queried several on their take with this restaurant and have heard several stories with the same result. Really too bad when given an excellent evaluation and arrogance/ follow through overshadows it.

• Visited February 2011
2 Thank craig l
Canmore, Alberta, Canada
“Great lunches”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Love the Paninis on this menu! Reasonably priced too!

Visited October 2011
Calgary
“Hit the spot”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We had dinner here on our last night in Canmore. It's a nice bistro-style place, upscale casual. I had a tasty French onion soup and roast chicken (the * on the menu for the roast chicken means that it takes a while to cook, something that our waitress wasn't aware of) and my wife had the soup of the day and a tasty thin crust pizza. I like the room and the food was very good.

Visited November 2011