“Great place with Great cheese selection.”

Sage Bistro & Wine Lounge
Ranked #29 of 125 Restaurants in Canmore
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Housed in a Rustic log building in the Rockies, we offer creative cuisine rooted in French Bistro style with Canadian and Worldly influences. Our Wine Lounge offers small plates, sharing platters, 14 different cheeses, charcuterie and an extensive wine by the glass program.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Sage will give you the option to have a full meal or try one of their fine cheese selections. Have Champagne with dessert or a bottle of carefully selected wine with a variety of cheese.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I made reservations for a long overdue date night. I arrived early and alone. I was quickly offered a table however I wasn't ready to sit just yet. I was quickly directed to the wonderful bar they have on the 2nd level to enjoy a drink while I waited for my boyfriend. After he arrived we took our seats and rewiewed their excellent wine selections. My boyfriend went at his lamb shank like it was a shark attack, and my duck leg was prepared better than I had ever experienced anywhere else. Our server was kind, polite, and didn't mind being candid with us. It was my first time at Sage in many years and wasn't disappointed. I look forward to returning. We are both hotel managers in Canmore and will be happy to direct our guests their way.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had dinner at the Sage Bistro while staying at Canmore for the holidays. It was mid-week between Christmas & the New Year, and the restaurant was quiet. You have the choice of eating in the bistro, downstairs, or up in the wine bar, with different menus for each. The bistro is rustic and quite casual when we were there. Their wine list offers lots of choice. We enjoyed sharing the grilled veggie platter as a starter. Our main courses were the lamb shank and duck confit. My partner was raving about the lamb, while I found the duck tasty, but a bit crispy on the bottom. The tasting of crème brule for dessert was delicious and generous enough to share. Throughout the meal our server was attentive and helpful. Some of the staff was young, and seemed a bit inexperienced. But, our service was always good.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

When you call a restaurant on the afternoon of NYE, looking for a reservation, and they have one and it's at a decent time - you wonder. But you keep your mind open, crediting luck. After all, you recall that dining there about five years earlier was a great experience. And you see from the website that the restaurant has a very good rating on all the common sites, and it's been around for over two decades.

But from the moment you enter, you realize that service is not their strongest suit. The host doesn't even wait for you, as he leads your 9 year old kid to the table on his own, parents hanging their own coats in the entryway closet. Your waitress is very quiet, barely audible, and seems inexperienced at listing children appropriate drinks (pop, juice, milk - the list is not that unusual). The optional fourth course (of a cheese platter) is never offered, and neither is coffee. The menu fails to describe things properly - the crepe dessert comes in the form of a layered torte (that is unusual). This comes as a complete surprise, however delicious the caramel sauce. Generous food portions, well-cooked proteins, and a good wine selection can never make up for basic details inexperienced staff do not offer. Inexperienced service is distracting at the least, and annoying when you are paying over $60 per person for a three-course set menu. And the saffron rice had the saffron completely MIA!

Once the basic service requirements are covered, we can get into the food. But I will save it for next time. One for one score deserves a third visit next time we visit Canmore.

1  Thank ProseccoBudget
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is one of the best restaurants in Canada. They know this, and you should too. Which is why it's ok to make you wait unattended when you arrive on time for your reservation, ok to try and move you to the casual eating section when you've reserved a table downstairs and ok for the wine list to show you the wrong vintages. The food was good, but had obviously been plated for a good long time before we got it because the top parts of my lamb shank were lukewarm while the parts closest to the plate were piping hot. Foolishly, I didn't know that the new trend was for the bill to arrive before the desserts were served. If you're an 'international guest' , the menu cheerfully informs you that they'll add the tip for you. Unfortunately, there's no definition of what an 'international guest' is, so I'm not sure exactly who this offends, but there is clearly a group of you out there that is too stupid or too cheap to meet their tip expectations. It's one of the best restaurants in Canada. Be grateful that you've been allowed to eat there !