“You can please everyone...”

and 1 more site!
A Bear and Bison Canadian Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 31 Canmore B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 15, 2006

My husband and I had a destination wedding at the Bear and Bison in August of 2005. Our family was able to join us. The Inn was wonderful. While it felt luxurious, it also very much felt like home. Lonny, Daniel and the rest of the staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful. The wedding day was perfect, stress free, and I think very highly of everyone at the Inn and everyone Lonny recommended to help with the wedding.

It’s been nearly six months now, and we see our family usually twice a month, if not more often. Everyone still takes time to mention how much they enjoyed Canmore, the surrounding areas (they were not familiar with the area until we announced our wedding plans) and the Bear and Bison in particular. That’s immediately followed by a comment on how delicious Lonny’s food is (he also catered the wedding dinner) and a threat to make the 2500 mile trip just for the food. They also loved the picnic lunches that enable you get out and explore the park. And most everyone has commented on how comfortable the beds were.

It was a wonderful trip for all of us. We’d love to do it again soon.

• Stayed: August 2005
10  Thank tgato105

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed October 21, 2005

My husband and I chose the Bear and Bison for our wedding in September 2005 after viewing a number of other locations in the area. We were blown away by the fantastic scenery, and the attention to detail by all the staff. Absolutely fantastic.

We booked the whole Inn for the weekend so that our guests could all have a ‘mini holiday’ as well, and it was a choice that we are glad we made. It was a very relaxing weekend and we were made to feel as though this was our home. Scott, Lonny, Ruby and the other staff were attentive but unobtrusive – making sure that everyone was comfortable and enjoying their stay.

Canmore itself is about a 15-20 minute walk away, through a wooded area. Scott very kindly booked us in for an ad-hoc meal at the Drake Inn on the night we arrived – a bit of a get together organised at the last moment!

Our actual wedding was held in the grounds of the Inn and was perfect – thank-you for booking such great weather :o)

The food was superb and as some of our guests had different food likes and dislikes, these were catered for. Nothing was too much trouble.

As the bride – I got to check out all the rooms (!) and they were all gorgeous. They all look out to the front of the property with a glorious view of the Three Sisters. As we had small children staying, the lower floor with patios rather than balconies was perfect.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Inn to anyone. It really is a beautiful place to stay – and you will be spoilt by the accommodation, the food, the service, well, everything really!

Many thanks for making our day so very special – we look forward to returning and celebrating our wedding anniversaries with you all again soon.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2005

We were very fortunate to spend a whole weekend at the Bear and Bison during the wedding of some good friends of ours. From the beginning to the end the service from Lonny and his very friendly staff were second to none.For those of you who do not know a short stay here is also a prize in a charitable lottery where the first prize is a million dollar home. Quite frankly we would be just as pleased with the weekend stay at the Bear & Bison as we would the million dollar home.
We never thought that we would ever be able to sample the joys of places like this as they always seem so expensive and out of the reach of those who have to work for a living. If we won the lottery tomorrow this is the place we would go to celebrate.
Not only is the food out of this world but the views , ambience and attention to detail is astonishing (the tiles in the main room have an impression of the three sisters).
The staff there even bent over backwards for me when I found I had left my Black tie at home for the wedding. We would love to keep this gem of a place the secret of those in the know but that wouldn`t be fair. This is a place that remains with you when you leave and will always have a place in our hearts, thank you Lonny , Scott and the rest of the team.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 8, 2005

Having travelled many miles from England I was greeted by Lonni & staff with a warm welcome.
The whole place was warm and inviting and the views of the three sisters mountain range are "Breath Taking". Lonni you have really built a piece of heaven, when you designed " A BEAR and BISON".
The whole weekend for my friends wedding "Paul & Lorraine" was catered for by the staff very good and especially Scott who thought of going the extra mile with impeckable service and nothing was to much trouble for him.

The rooms are very tastefully decorated including a corner bath and whirlpool, kingsize bed that i had the beat nights sleep in for a long time.
And the views in the morning are breath taking.

The 3 course breakfast was fantastic and a credit to Lonni as a previous guest had written " I almost licked the plate clean". I did....
the waitress service was also good.
The packed lunch supplied by Lonni was of a good standard especially the wrap and spicy sausage stick!.
Take it with you on one of the many excellent walks Lonni advises on as we found his advice and local knowledge very good. All i can say to Lonni and his staff is a big thank you for making my stay in Canmore one to cherish.

7  Thank Brummie66
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2005

We have stayed at the Bear and Bison a few times, so far, this year and have enjoyed every moment. It's become our little getaway spot.

The moment you walk in the front door you know that you are going to have a warm, welcome stay. Lonny is great and the staff are all very friendly and helpful.

The rooms are amazing and meticulously clean! Our first room we stayed in had the most wonderful view of the north mountains that you wake up to in the morning along with a view of the Three Sisters out the balcony window where we had our breakfast. All of the rooms welcome you with a large comfortable king size bed, jacuzzi tub with candles & music, heated floors, great view of the mountains, not to mention the delicious coffee & truffles and (my favourite) custom made soaps, lotion & shampoo.

We always look forward to the fantastic three course breakfast that is delivered to our room.

Can hardly wait to go again!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 28, 2005

Having traveled for a number of years, I have always looked forward to coming back to Canmore. I've never failed to be completely overwhelmed and charmed by the outstanding facility and incredible hospitality of the folks at A Bear & Bison. It's a great place to relax and refresh too.

Lonnie and Fiona have consistently provided my traveling companions and I with the most gratious and considerate hospitality. From our arrival to departure, they have made all of us feel at home and at ease.

Several times we checked in late. Even then, they were cheerful and helpful, even suggesting the best local restaurants for a late dinnner and a beer.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like visiting some relatives! These folks are friendly and helpful without being familiar or intrusive.

My rooms have always been first class; regardless of which one Lonnie reserved for me. Every one has a magnificent view of the Canadian Rockies and is appointed as well as any four star suite I've stayed in anywhere. They are always spotlessly clean and tidy. The building and landscaping are like pages from Better Homes & Gardens. I don't know where they find the time!

The attention to detail and the absolute requirement that everything be "first class or not at all" is clearly apparent in every aspect of the operation from their most basic accomodations to Lonnie's wonderful creations. You can't be disappointed with the food, although you may not be familiar with some of it. After all, when you come to A Bear & Bison, it's reasonable to expect something excellent and different! If you only want bacon and eggs for breakfast, you should probably stay home. You're in for a treat here.

Likewise, the picnic lunches that Lonnie prepared for us were an adventure in themselves. My daughter and I were delighted and surprised as kids at Christmas as we discovered the wraps he'd carefully stowed for us. The smoked meat sausage was excellent. It reminded me of some really good pepperoni that I get from a great Italian deli in my home town. It was a nice counterpoint to the cheese and fruit that were also included. It took us all afternoon to finish lunch!

Travel should be an adventure, but it shouldn't be a hardship. It should provide you with an opportunity to experience new and unusual things that are outside your day to day experience. This place fills the bill.

I highly recommend A Bear & Bison as a great place to begin or end your adventure in the Canadian Rockies. Bring your partner, your kids, or whoever. You won't be dissapointed and neither will they!

A Bear & Bison is the perfect place for adventure of the best kind.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank ohzone
Calgary
Reviewed September 28, 2005

We want to share our experience at A Bear & Bison with you. My husband and I arrived in time for Happy Hour and the lounge was full of people enjoying the complimentary drinks, the warm atmosphere and the beautfiul scenery. We were looking for a place to have dinner and several recommendations were made and reservations handled for us.
Breakfast, ah what can we say about having a fabulous 3 course breakfast served to our room. And I am not embarrassed to say we stopped just short of licking our plates!
We decided to just take a leisurely drive and a picnic lunch was packed for us and waiting by the door. So we drove to Emerald Lake, sat at a picnic table, took in the view and devoured the wrap, bunwich, chicken, pepperoni, cheese, fruit, cookies, chips, & juice. What a treat!
That evening we enjoyed a soak in the hot tub and a great night sleep in their huge king size beds.
The host and staff are warm and welcoming and tended to our every need.
We recommend A Bear & Bison to all our friends and family and we can hardly wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2005