“Good Times”
Review of Hostel Bear

Hostel Bear
Ranked #16 of 24 Specialty Lodging in Canmore
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This place is wicked! Staff is nice too.
There is a train once in a while but no big deal. I will recomend it to my family and friends. Nice hardwood floors.. Big kitchen.. Pool table.. Bar / Lounge is cool too. The Private rooms are very nice! A warm cottage feeling all around Wood & Fireplaces everywere.. Also free Wifi : )

• Stayed: March 2013
mpettis, General Manager at Hostel Bear, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Hello Jack,

Thank you for the review we are glad we could provide you with a pleasant experience. I hope the fireplace was able to keep you warm on what has been some strange weather we have been having lately.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I went to the Hostel Bear in Canmore this past summer.The kitchen is fantastic and the location is great, even with the train tracks just on the back of the building. The problem came when I got bitten by bed bugs all over my body.Staff knew about it and the managment did not care about this issue at all.
This place is infested with bed bugs.
I am surprised no one else has ever written anything about bed bugs in this hostel.
Travellers should know!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Janette P

Hello Janette,

I am sorry you feel as though management did not care about any issue you may have had. We take every issue very serious regardless of what that issue may be. We get inspected on a regular basis and have never been given a negative report. We have always taken every precaution possible to make sure our hostel stays pest free. In past months there was been a huge issue arise for all hotels and hostels in traveler destinations from sharing rooms that have travelers from overseas. I believe this may have been the issue with your stay as we get checked bi-weekly in our summer months and no report shows any issues. I hope you can come and allow us to provide you with accommodation again and prove to you how enjoyable a stay with us can be. Management is always available to provide any additional service needed and I hope your experience will not be a forever negative one with us.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have stayed here mulitple times now. Staff are helpful and friendly, facilities and rooms are very clean, and you always meet super people from all over the world. I look forward to staying here each time I pass through.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thnank you very much for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed meeting some of the many different people we get daily.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have stayed at the Hostel bear close to a dozen times. Staff is always friendly and all areas are generally very clean. I must note that I have only stayed in private rooms with friends, so I have not had to deal with other people.

Room Tip: Second floor is ideal because MANY rooms have broken windows on the lower level.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you have stayed with us so many times and I hope next time you are available to stay with us you will be able to take part in our new frequent sleeper card. We are currently working out all the design aspects of this card and hope to have it available summer of 2013. Your tip was very helpful for other travelers and have many requests for the top floor. We did have some issues with children vandalizing our lower windows. We believe we have managed to catch everyone causing the issues and are currently working to replace all our windows with newer more energy efficient windows. Sometimes good things happen when problems arise and this has allowed us to further explore our efficient outlook to be greener each and every year. We hope to have each and every window replaced by 2014.... We have a lot of windows:)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Hi there I've stayed at this location a few times while travelling through the area. As far as a facility goes it was great, nice big common areas, games, tv, kitchen with lots of storage space, and rooms were spacious and fairly clean. The location was close to shopping/food and parks.

To me the experience of staying there really depended on who else is staying there at the time. For example, one summer I stayed there it was full of travellers who were friendly and easy to get along with. There were no problems asides from the annoyance of having a train rumble by every 3-4 hours during the night.

Another time I stayed there during the fall, and It was TERRIBLE. I was in a room with a few guys who quite obviously were doing questionable activities along with being up all night blasting music and having no reguard for anyone else. Also it seemed to be a base for some homeless/near homeless type people to hang around at.

So over all, it depends on the time of year---Definately wouldn't be staying there again outside of the busy summer months.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed with other travellers and be placed far away from the rail track.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank M L

Hello,

Thank you for the review we enjoy seeing positive and negative reviews as it helps us to make each and every stay that much more enjoyable. I am glad you have had a few good visits with us and am sorry to hear of your negative stay in the Fall, we take drug issues very seriously and have a zero tolerance policy, anyone caught or suspected of being under the influence is removed immediately and authorities are contacted. I hope you get to come experience our hostel once again and can take advantage of our upcoming frequent sleeper card.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Hostel Bear is spacious, clean and comfortable. There's an airy open-plan kitchen, and a nice games room/ bar. Staff were helpful and we were able to leave our bags when we went on a weekend hiking trip.
The bedroom (we had our own private room) was spacious and clean, and the bathroom was very clean with a great hot shower. I can appreciate the hygiene aspect of plastic mattress covers, but I'm afraid they don't make for a comfortable night's sleep!

The one downside to the hostel is the location. It's bounded by a busy road to the front, and a freight train line to the rear... with trains during the night. If you're not a sound sleeper, bring some earplugs!
Other than that, a great value stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
mpettis, General Manager at Hostel Bear, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for your review. We apologize for the noise of the train behind our building. Due to the location of the hotel strip being located right next to the railway it does become unpleasant to some guests in each any every property located along the strip. We have had several meetins to move the railway system out of the town centre and hopefully next time you stay with us it will be in a different location.

We do however sell ear plugs at our front desk for anyone wishing to drown out the train or a neighbour that likes to snore. Thank you again for your review and we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I would have to say this is in the top 2 hostels I've ever stayed at having done a fair bit of travel through Eurpoe & North America. The rooms are huge & clean & the free parking is a bonus! Comfiest hostel beds you will find plus the views from the common areas are amazing.

The Staff could not have been more helpful, they helped organise all the different activities throughout the time there & just made the stay all the more bearable (even the one that looks like a sasquatch!).

I doubt you'll find anything as good quality & good value for money anywhere in the rockies.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front if possible
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Hello Micheal,

Thank you for your review it was a pleasure to read. I am glad you have rated us so high in your books of accommodation. We hope to see you again in the future but unfortunately our "Sasquatch" night employee has moved back home and no longer works with us. He will be missed and I am sure he enjoyed being mentioned in this review very much.