Well as this was the final proper stay (before an overnight and flight in Calgary) it was always going to be memorable, just a shame it was for the wrong reasons.
As mentioned in a previous review of mine of a different hostel, we're not big hostellers. Luckily this wasn't our first otherwise it would have put us off staying in one again.
Having found the place easily and parked in the free car park we checked in.
We found the staff to be friendly on the desk and were given the rules and they read as though they were enforced strictly, if only the quiet time after 11pm rule was strict....
Anyway, we got to our room, which if I remember correctly was 107 and had a private bathroom. Even though it was just the two of us the room slept 6, so it was nice to have a bit of space. Immediately we noticed that one of the double beds still had dirty sheets on, we spoke to a member of staff to get this sorted, which it was, after she had asked if it was ok to do that!!
The biggest problem with the room though was the broken window, a great big crack across the pane and a damaged frame which also meant it didn't lock properly (you also had to push it shut from the outside).
Other problems with the building maintenance in our room were;
1. The main door had a loose top hinge which meant you had to slam the door to shut it.
2. The bathroom door had it's top hinge pin missing.
3. Both the sink and bath plugs were missing.
4. Although off the heater was always putting out hot air.
On the plus side with the room;
1. The shower was lovely.
2. It was serviced (bins emptied)
4. Beds were quite comfortable.
Onto the sleep deprivation, we were staying four nights unfortunately and on the 1st night we found out about the trains!
I seemed to nod back off ok after these but my wife didn't.
On nights three and four, we were woken by a few lads making a lot of noise in the corridors, I do not know if they were the same group or not but it was about 2.30am for about 20 mins.
On the first night of the noise I was waiting for the duty staff to come and calm them down but that never happened. The following morning I complained to reception and the guy who was on duty overnight was there said some lads "turned up late but hadn't heard anything". I asked if anything could be done with all the security camera that are up and got told a flat no. He just didn't seem bothered, so when a similar thing happened later that night and our last night, I knew that the staff didn't have any respect which is reflected in some of the people who stop there. I would have gone out and said something to them on that occasion but didn't want to wake the whole hostel up due to having to slam our door shut!
We couldn't leave soon enough on checkout. Having previously reported the damaged window so we didn't get charged for it, I reminded the staff at the front desk and got told it had been like that for ages!
I know that the hostel can't help the trains and that it's the same for other properties in that area but it has to be mentioned but it can help all the other problems mentioned above.
The kitchen was a good size but missed a few critical things like wooden spoons and plastic bowls to use in the microwave but on the whole was ok, despite a lot of users leaving dirty dishes.
I found that the no drinking your own booze rule in public areas a pain, as I would have liked a beer in a cooler part of the hostel. However I can understand why it's there.
Canmore is a great town and I would visit again but would definitely stay away from the Hostel Bear.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Canmore’s newest hostel! Conveniently located one block from downtown Canmore. The Hostel Bear sleeps 170 guests. The spacious dorm rooms sleep 4-10 guests, with privacy curtains and night lights on each bunk, in addition each room has its own an en suite. Private rooms are also available. Amenities include large fully equipped kitchen, free wireless access and a large common lounge. Our friendly, helpful staff are here 24 hours a day to ensure your stay exceeds expectations! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld, Cancelon, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hostel Bear reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostel Bear Hotel Canmore
- Hostel Bear Canmore, Alberta