“Poor service, barely adequate facility”

and 1 more site!
Grand Canadian Resort Vacation Club
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Canmore
Pleasanton, California
“Poor service, barely adequate facility”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Looks good from the outside, but once inside, a different story. Minimally furnished (no blender, no wifi, one lamp in the main room). Carpet in the common areas was not vacuumed the entire time we were there. Noisy foundation work was conducted right outside our unit from 8 to 5. Water leaked into our unit and soaked the carpet in a bedroom and living room. When this was reported, the representative at the front desk (the only person there, from 8:30 to 5, daily), could not have been more unsympathetic. Not recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ThomasE32904

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 15, 2012

carpet is very dirty and aged. door can't close without slamming it. swimming pool is dirty too since no one is maintaining it. curtains are dusty. grill is half broken. pull out sofa bed is in poor shape with no pillow and blanket.

staff is clueless, when asked for more blankets, pillows, and towels, answer is always "no". nothing is available in front office. house keeping only come once a week (on Saturdays). no one is in office between 4pm to next morning 9am. even someone is in office, she offers no help.

don't be fooled by its fancy website.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ABostonian

Travelers are raving about these Canmore hotels

Alberta, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I was a little disappointed in the building and facilities when we arrived although I struggled to really put my finger on exactly why. It just didnt seem as "fancy" as it looked on the website and for the price we paid.
That said, the apartment itself was very clean with a number of TV's, dishwasher, microwave etc, and great showers. The only thing really missing was a radio or ipod docking station. We all found the beds very comfortable.
The building was further outside downtown Canmore than I had realised, being a 40 minute walk each way but only an easy 10 minute or so drive. Our apartment had reasonable views of the mountains but not fantastic.
The gym is described as having a full range of free weights but all I found was a small room with just some cardio equipment and no weights. I may have just missed the weights room if there is one but I certainly looked around for it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TreckingLee
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Superficially, the place looks nice but upon further inspection, a number of problems began to manifest themselves. The cutlery and crockery is pasties sell by date, the kitchen utensils are very limited, drawers do not open smoothly, wardrobe door keeps falling off its runners.

The front reception is an absolute shambles,manned only between 08.0 and 17.00 and when manned they are next to useless. Today, we had a blocked toilet, the maintenance man was not on site so the suggestion was to use a plunger. Toilet successfully unblocked but the bowl overflowed onto the bathroom floor. Front desk were of no help and just shrugged as they had no access to cleaning materials as the maintenance man had a day off and the weekly cleaners were contracted out. I offered to do it myself but they had no access to any cleaning materials whatsoever, result, water from toilet bowl has remained on the bathroom floor for 24 hours until the maintenance man comes back to work.

Very disappointed with the lack of cooperation and what amounted to nothing more than a Gallic shrug from front desk.

On the plus side, Canmore is a nice place to visit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Steven R
Iuka
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This was a nice place to stay at one time, but the dresser drawers were falling apart, towels were paper-thin, and although there were several empty units, when we requested a unit on the top floor (kids running on floor above us at all hours, bathroom and air conditioner fans made such a noise, we just opened the windows and cut the air-con off), we were informed the rooms were all full. Lie? I think so. There were three cars in parking garage, and we saw three other families on our side of the resort all week! This resort shares with a World Mark resort, and it was more full over there than our side (our side had at least ten rooms per floor and three floors). The staff at the lobby desk (one person) left at 5:00pm (check-in isn't until 3:00pm) with nobody available to address any of the guest's needs until 8:00 the next morning. Also the hot tub jets barely worked, and when asked, we were told they were to be worked on (after we had left). Someone should really try to address the problems at the front desk of this resort. They would not even let us print out our boarding passes (two pages) at the resort, so we had to leave early and get to the airport. No wifi in rooms, they would not give us the security code to get on it, but they did let us borrow a cord to plug our laptop in. It could have been a really nice place to stay if there was more attention payed to satisfying the guests, as they were not at all accomodating. The local area is outstanding, though, with plenty of wildlife to see. We went to Jasper one day, and it was kind of disappointing, but overall the time we spent out in the area was great. I would recommend a trip to the Canmore-Banff area, but you would probably not want to stay at this particular resort, unless some changes are made.

Room Tip: Make sure to get on the top floor if you book a room here, as all of the floors creak and sleep will...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Missipi-gang
Southern Albertan
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My husband and I had a great stay recently. The room was modern , beds were comfortable and the pillows good. The ventilation system was really noisy, we opted to turn off the heat in spurts ,the weather was warm and the room stayed really pleasant. Our room was not ready when we arrived at about 4:15 took about another 20 minutes. ,
We opted to walk into town a really pleasant 1/2 hour walk, all down hill.
Restaurants in the area are abundant and really varied.
The hot tub outside was really nice to sit in while it snowed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Magic07
Orange, California
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We decided to trade a week and this resort was all that was left. My husband booked it and to be honest I wasa bit worried as Tripadvisor was not too keen on the facility. I have to say boy was I wrong! This beautiful little town in a hidden gem... Absolutely beautiful with wonderful walking trails all over. The resort was very clean and quiet with a nice pool and jacuzzi. The only problem was the jacuzzi had to be shut down the last day we were there due to a problem with the electrical. Better safe then sorry and they had another one inside anyway. They also had a dry sauna as well which was very nice. My only knock to the property is that the kitchen could use a few more "tools" for cooking. Not that I did much, but a measuring spoon would have helped while making my coffee each morning. All in all... I would come back tomorrow if I could. I'm sitting in the airport now to go back to Cali and don't want to go home! I love Canada

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom condo as that is all they have I do believe.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple