“Nice Property With A Few Warts”

Mystic Springs Chalets & Hot Pools
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Canmore
Calgary, Canada
“Nice Property With A Few Warts”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

With a regular rate of about $175/night we couldn't resist booking this property on Expedia for $113 despite some mixed reviews on TripAdvisor. For the most part we were happy with our stay. The chalets are HUGE with two bedrooms (each has a TV), two full bathrooms (one is an ensuite off the master bedroom), fully equipped kitchen and a nice living room with fireplace. Our chalet had a walk-up entrance from the street and a back door which opened into a courtyard with pool and BBQ area. We took advantage of the pool even though the air temperature was quite cool - the pool is kept at about 30 degrees and there are plenty of pool toys for kids.

There are definitely a few areas in which Mystic Springs can improve:

- The hot tub always seems to be out of order. We read a few reviews voicing this complaint and it was out of service when we were there.
- Our chalet had no window coverings on the main floor. Quite strange considering people walk past on the sidewalk several feet from the living room windows.
- Some chalets had patio chairs on the front deck but unfortunately ours did not.
- Went to the onsite office one evening to request a late check out and also to report a small mouse in our chalet. A sign on the door indicated the office closes at 8pm and anyone requiring immediate assistance should pick up the phone next to the office door. I did so and got a recording for the onsite security company.

Even with these minor issues we still got good value for our money. The suite was very comfortable and nicely furnished and offered great views of the mountains. We'd return if we can get a similar rate in the future.

Room Tip: If you would like a mountain view, request a room facing the street.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank StrawberryJ-V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Thai first
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This is our first time ever staying at Mystic Springs and we absolutely wonderful! The living space is beautiful and the staff is so nice! Everyone is very helpful, if we had any problems they came to at our call right away! Our view is gorgeous and the heated pool out back is amazing! It is so family and pet friendly and that is something that you cannot find at a lot of places. It is very close to town and there is a great dinner show across the street! It is close to hiking and trails and great shopping and food. We love everything about Mystic Springs and we can't wait to come back in August. Everything about this resort is wonderful and I would recommend it to everyone! Visit Mystic Springs! We can't wait to bring more family and friends because we know they will love it just as much as we do!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Stephanie O
, Director of Sales at Mystic Springs Chalets & Hot Pools, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for sharing this with the Trip Advisor community.....we are so excited to hear that you will be sharing with your family and friends your experiences with us. We are looking forward to your trip back in August!!! Again thank you for noticing that we do have a lovely property!!!
Red Deer
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I recently made my third visit to Mystic Springs in early June 2012. My first visit in 2010 was very good - I returned October 1, 2011 to a disaster - a new management company 'Waymarker' was taking over and the property had been allowed to become run down over the last year by the previous management company. One of the primary features of this facility is the outdoor heated pool and the hot tub. On this trip the pool was dirty and the hot tub not working. There was no "heads' up given to guests in advance.

In February of 2012 I received this tempting invitation - the invitation read " Over the past year it has been a struggle to have both the pool and hot tub running. We want to celebrate that all of the pool challenges have been fixed! Come back for a visit and we will discount your stay 40% and we will give each kid a free noodle (yes even big kids)! You will not be disappointed!"

So I booked 3 nights and management offered to "comp" the third because of my previous experience with the property.

So here's what happened:

1) Upon checking in I found that I was only booked for 1 night @ $123.50 including taxes. - even though the notes attached to the reservation said the third night was "comp". I was also required to put down a security deposit of $445.50 in advance.

2) I was given room 7139 - an end unit - front window looked out to a stone wall and the side and rear window faced the parking lot - handy for the early morning garbage pick up.

3) I tried to use the cordless phone - wasn't working so walked back to the front desk and asked if my room could be changed - answer - no other rooms were available and by the way " the hot tub is out of order"!!! You have got to be kidding!!

4) Maintenance made 3 trips to bring a charged phone

5) A comp bottle of white wine was delivered.

6) Went for a swim before supper and no towels at the pool - used towels were in a couple of tubs.

7) As darkness approached I realized their were no "blinds" on the main floor - when I checked apparently the blinds were back ordered from Italy - really nice to have no privacy with windows on three sides!! Once again - no mention of this at the front desk. Noticed that some rooms had hung sheets up for blinds - I am not kidding!!

8) The pool is supposed to open at 8 AM - had to go to the office to get them to open it - and ask for towels - the used towels were still in the tubs from last night. At that time I was offered a different room - still with no blinds...I declined.

9) The welcome notice states that there would be "light cleaning every day" - no one came to take out garbage - re-make beds or exchange towels over the two days.

10) In the morning of day two - the ants seemed to have taken over the kitchen area - for every one I killed there appeared two more. This was reported to the front desk

Needless to say....I cancelled my third night and moved to a different property.

The new management company has made efforts to renovate the units (painting) - rugs are still marginal - a declaration should be made to potential guests of some of the limitations of the property as outlined above - one questions whether they should be having guests during renovations. Once again I feel I have been seriously mislead by this property and will not entertain further invitations.

My advice to readers is to check out the property with the management prior to booking since they are not forthcoming in being transparent with their guests.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank BrianRedDeer
managerscl, Director of Sales at Mystic Springs Chalets & Hot Pools, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you for writing your comments/concerns, we are truly sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We should have followed up when our hot tub went down and we didn't so for that I do apologize profusely. We are trying to better this wonderful property by doing some renovations and sometimes there are backorders, malfunctions and/or glitches. I understand your frustrations and if you wish to discuss this futher please contact me. judy@waymarker.ca I do hope to hear from you!! I hope you are having a wonderful day!
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2012

After staying at this place now I know what it means "home away from home"
I was amazed by the kitchen, everything you may need was there, living room and two bedrooms, all got TVs, internet. Two baths, one attached with king bed. In short everything was great, strongly recommend this place

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
managerscl, Director of Sales at Mystic Springs Chalets & Hot Pools, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you for sharing your positive comments with the Trip Advisor community! We appreciate this very much and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Mystic Springs. We hope to see you again soon!!!
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2012

The chalets, pools and most importantly the staff were way beyond expection! Would HIGHLY reccomend this to anyone looking for a great get-away, romantic retreat or family stay!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
managerscl, Director of Sales at Mystic Springs Chalets & Hot Pools, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Thank you and thank you for staying with us. We are glad you had such a great time. We look forward to seeing you again soon!!
Calgary
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Upon entering the chalet at Mystic Springs my boyfriend and I were pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the suite was. We entered to dark wood flooring, kitchen table, full kitchen and lovely sitting room. Upstairs we were more than surprised to see two beautiful bedrooms and two full baths - the comforter on the bed in the main room was amazing to sleep in - soft and comfortable!
Mystic Springs provided more than we could ask for. We were lucky enough to have a room which was pet friendly and brought our two 'fur' kids with us. The front desk helped us with forgotten items like treats for our dogs. The staff and management made us feel VERY welcome and we greatly appreciated their hospitability, especially after staying a few other, less than desirable places in Canmore. Our room was spotless and welcoming. I would highly recommend a stay at Mystic Springs; anyone from families, to couples, and small groups (including your dogs!). We will absolutely be back for another stay - this time we will bring our bathing suits so we can use the big outdoor pool and hot tub.
As a side note - we ate at the GeorgeTown Inn for lunch, and suntanned on their huge patio for hours. It was delightful! If you are looking for a sunny patio with tasty food in Camore - this is the one.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your great words about Mystic. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again very soon!!!
Canmore
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Thank-you Mystic Springs we had a great time reconnecting as a family. There was plenty of space for everyone. The kids had a great time in the pool, we like that it's close to all the rooms. We only spent one night with Grandma and Grandpa but we'll be back with the rest of the family.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you and we are glad to hear that your family enjoyed their stay. We can't wait to see you again!!