All reviewsroom was cleandaily housekeepingstayed here for nightstoilet papertown centreshort drivebanffmountainsrefrigerator
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I had read the horrible reviews and was worried about what we would find, but as we were only going to be there for one night's sleep, a shower in the morning, and out the door, we figured we'd give it a try as the price was certainly right.

When we arrived, I noticed the exterior and the lobby areas were clean and neat. The gentleman at the desk was cheerful, welcoming, and professional. We checked in, and went up to our room, leaving our luggage in the car at first, as I had to do my first check that I do at all hotels, whether it's a 5 star or a 2 star - I check for bed bugs. I noticed the room even smelled clean, and as I was peeling back the bedding to check the mattress and boxspring, I noticed the bedding was clean. There was no sign of a single bed bug, and my friend was checking the bathroom and advised it was nice and clean, so we went and brought up our luggage. Yes, the furniture and decor is dated, and there is signs of wear and tear, but as we were only going to be in the room to sleep and shower, we didn't care. The place was clean, and that was our main concern. We both had a good sleep and found the beds to be comfortable and there was next to nothing for noise from the road out front. We heard nothing from the rooms around us, and the only complaint we had was a couple of girls (other guests) were excessively loud walking past our door in the evening and again the next morning - but that is just ignorance and rudeness on the part of other guests and has nothing to do with the hotel. Upon checkout, the gentleman at the desk was great - very helpful with suggestions, and very please we were happy with our stay. He was concerned about the negative reviews, as they just took over management in March of 2012, and are working to overcome those reviews.

The place is nothing spectacular, has nothing much for amenties, but it was clean, comfortable, and conveniently located, with a cheerful, professional, front desk staff. I recommend this place if you are just looking for a good place to sleep, but not if you are looking for lots of amenities, or up-to-date posh surroundings. For us, we were happy as we weren't there to spend any time in our room, but to wander around enjoying Canmore and it's surroundings. It was perfect for a place to sleep and shower, which was all we were looking for, and the price was great, and the room was clean. I will definately be back on a future trip to the Rockies.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a room on the top (2nd floor) and possibly ask for one on the side away from Bow Valley Road. Our room faced the road and we didn't have an issue, but the other side facing the parking lot could be even quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Beth A
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I was a bit worried because of the reviews here and called the hotel before booking. The girl on the phone was very friendly and explained that things are different now and was reassuring.

I was so relieved when I checked in! The room was roomy and very clean with two big beds (queen?). It was pretty basic but what can you expect for $49? Coffee is available in the lobby and there was free wifi. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful and were great at directions and suggestions of where to eat etc. and we could walk to downtown in 5 minutes.

Oh and Rocky Mountain Flatbread Company was fab!, its a block off of Main Street.

Room Tip: Mountain view room is well worth it!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lilbiteb
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The Mountain View Inn (MVI) was pretty bad. In all honesty, my partner and I were just looking for something cheap to lay our heads for a few hours and this one had a "new management" sale. I mean, for the two of us, it was actually cheaper than getting two bunks at the local hostel.

The rooms were fairly large and basic, which was fine. The tv had cable and worked, The sheets were clean.

The rest of the room however, was not clean. It may be because I worked at a hotel as a housekeeping supervisor in the past, but if I ever seen this quality, I would fire my housekeepers. Let me start a small list;
- Everything was dusty
- food around the base of the bed
- literally dirt and gravel in the dresser drawers
- looks like the bath faucet hasnt' been wiped.....ever
- hair all over the bathroom
- toilet stains, which could have easily been wiped
- a shower curtain that has also likely NEVER been changed.

All in all,,...cheap as dirt, but about as clean.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank canadiantruth
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I stayed at this Inn for 5 nights in Sept/Oct 2011, and found the service absolutely atrocious!! The room was ok (but I had to see 4 other rooms before I found one that was ok-either toilet didn't flush, or was in a weird location, etc.). There was a young female clerk working at the front desk who kept trying to initiate conversation with me and was overly chatty and said that she had worked at another hotel in Canmore and was fired. She also said that the Mountain View Inn was closing on Sunday Oct 2, 2011 for lack of business and would re-open in spring. When I checked in I paid cash, so they took a $50 deposit for incidentals and when I checked out on Oct 2 it was to be refunded to me. I went to the front desk and the office doors were locked and there was a sign on the desk saying they would reopen at 9am. Well, it was already 11am and no one was there. The coffee was on and the clerk's car was parked outside so she was in the building. I think she took the money and was hiding out somewhere in the Inn. I left a couple of messages on the Inn's voice mail for the owner, Tina Sidhu, and got no reply. I mentionned that if I did not get my $50 back I would sue them and take other legal action.

They sound like a bunch of crooks. And what kind of an Inn would hire a clerk like that? She must have bad references. And what a way to treat a guest! I paid $75 a night to stay there for 5 nights and there is no reason for them not to refund my deposit.

This place should be avoided at all costs! My guess is that they will not be re-opening due to crappy service.

Room Tip: This Inn has atrocious service and management and will rip you off. They did not have many guests staying there.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank sugarpie_11
Reviewed September 27, 2011

My wife and I attended my son's wedding in Canmore and booked two nights at the Mountain View Inn through "Hotels.Com." We were greeted by a pleasant young man, "Jimmy" and were given a quiet room on the second floor, (there are only two floors, no elevator which was no problem for us). The room was basic but adequate. The bathroom was clean, with plenty of hot water in the bathtub/shower, with very strong water pressure. I would have put a water restrictor into the shower head to conserve water. The queen bed was clean and comfortable.
For the price, we were satisfied with this budget hotel. Also, I would like to mention a very good Thai restaurant a couple of blocks down the road on the same side as the A&W. The place is run by an Austrian with a Thai wife. Very good authentic Thai food. Canmore is a very pretty and quaint little town, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: I booked a quiet room on line which I received