“A surprising find...”
Review of Castillo's Gourmet - CLOSED

Castillo's Gourmet
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We were walking around Canmore looking for a place for dinner. Typically, I don't eat Mexican food when traveling simply because I live in Texas where there are loads of Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurants. However, I felt like something different after 7 days of eating out while in the Rockies so we decided to give this place a try. It was surprisingly good.

The restaurant is run by two people: a man from Mexico City who works in the kitchen and a woman who is Japanese who works in the front of the house. I had a margarita which was fine but not great. It was, however, made with fresh lime and not sour mix so kudos for that.

We had tacos al pastor, carnitas tacos, shrimp with avocado salsa and tortilla soup. The tacos al pastor were some of the best I've ever had. The pork tasted like it came off a trompo and they were served with pineapple like they should be. The shrimp dish was very good although it needed a bit of salt. The soup was different than other versions I've had; it was a bit creamier. It was delicious though and would be a great treat in the colder months. The carnitas taco was fine but nothing amazing.

This is authentic Mexican food and worth checking out.

1  Thank lauraintx

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Recently have just been enjoying this meeting spot for drinks and authentic Mexican food. Owner's are from Mexico are enthused and gracious.

1  Thank 842Paula
Reviewed July 25, 2013

A co-worker and I decided to have lunch at Castilos after hearing good things about it. Although we very much enjoyed sitting in the sun on the patio, the service and food were sub-par. First of all, the prices were almost double what the prices in their online menu read. Secondly, our waitress was very unaccommodating, and lastly, the food wasn't very exciting.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

The tacos served here have the authenticity of real Baja Mexico style tacos. They are unbelievable. The hot sauce, house made queso fresco and salsa verde make the tacos complete. The margaritas are delicious and refreshing with real lime juice- not the sweet sugary style.
The ceviche is spicy if you're brave. You will enjoy it but might need an extra Negro Modelo or Dos Equis.
It's nice to sit outside on the patio on a sunny day. Bring the dog. Bring the kids!
If you are looking for authentic Mexican cuisine you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank 0nirreM
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stopped in for a late lunch around 2PM on a Sunday. It was not that busy by any means. Since we just wanted a quick light meal, we ordered chips and guacamole and 3 tacos al pastor. So, whether you are in Mexico or in the mountains in Canada, nobody goes out for tacos to have a long dining experience. It's meant to be good, cheap, and fast. It first took about 10 minutes for the chips and guac to come, that's fine, but then it took another 30 minutes for the tacos. I mean, the pork is already cooked. It should not take more than about 30 seconds per taco to make and plate. If the place was jam packed I'd understand, but not at the level it was at the time. The quality of the food was not bad at all, although I preferred the tacos al pastor at Los Chilitos in the Calgary farmer's market. I'd say if you're in the mood for tacos in Canmore, go there, but not if you're expecting quick service.