“Hidden treasure away from the crowds”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Market Bistro

The Market Bistro
Ranked #40 of 119 Restaurants in Canmore
Cuisines: Canadian, French, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Tucked away in the Three Sisters community our airy bistro has big windows, an open kitchen, a sunny and quiet patio and a cheerful atmosphere. Cuisine is, comforting, simple,flavorful, prepared with passion and always delicious. Menu consist of a mixture of local specialties and traditional French dishes. Enjoy the 3courses Menu du Jour starting at $22 on week days and around $30 on week ends. To complement your meal, have a look at the wine list: one of the most extensive and affordable wine list in Canmore! Consult our Facebook page for daily specials and our website for live music and special events!
Calgary
“Hidden treasure away from the crowds”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

Hubby and I decided to take a drive to Canmore on a lovely fall day for lunch and a mountain drive. A Canmore resident suggested the Market Bistro is we wanted to get away from the crowds of downtown. We were pleasantly surprised to find this little hidden gem. We sat on the patio sipping wine and beer soaking in the view and Alberta sunshine. French onion soup was mild and had a subtle buttery flavor. Mussels were a bit overcooked and oddly served with French fries. Server did bring me some fresh baguette to soak up the sauce when asked. The blueberry pie was the only disappointment because I asked for it warm I think they nuked it too long and made the crust rubbery. All in all it was a relaxing afternoon in the Rockies. Bill was $90 though.... for a bistro seems pricey. But it was Canmore after all. Will definitely go back.

1 Thank CountryHills

• Korean first
Calgary, Canada
“Relaxed atmosphere, OK food, bad coffee”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

The staff were friendly, the place is nice and relaxed with a welcoming patio. We had two different soups (vegetable and the tomato), both were good as was the pulled pork sandwich. Portions are not huge, but lunch sized just right. The regular coffee was very weak, my husband then ordered a cappuccino and that had to be sent back for the same reason. The next cup was the same! However, the water bottle-jugs were cool. They had the old fashioned flip tops that were used so many years ago... the pecan pie was good, hit the spot, and not too sweet!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank seetheworld2014
Jasper, Canada
“Worse cappucino, not as advertised.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

I came to this place because it was advertised to have the best cappucino. I had the worse cappucino ever instead, and it costs $4 for a small cup.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank si345
Houston, Texas
“Poor service in the mountains.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Hot and wet/mushy best describes almost all of the food items served here. This along with inattentive staff make it a must miss for this "Bistro". Would NOT recommend, much better options down in town. On top of it all many items are just overpriced for what you get.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Jackson T
“Microwaved food. Really?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Tried this place after reading the TripAdvisor reviews. Called to make a reservation. Person mentioned there was a band in that night so it would be busy. Was able to make a rso. Upon arriving and after ordering drinks we were told 1 drink each was included in the $10 cover charge. No problem for me but would have been nice to know there was a cover charge that night when we made the reso. Sat at the bar with my bf. Was immediately concerned when I viewed a microwave in the open concept kitchen. We ordered the prosciutto pizza ($15) and mussels ($17) as an entre and the olives/nuts ($8) to start. Probably about 10 olives not bad. Nuts however were straight from a jar of mixed nuts. Pizza: thin crust is my favorite. And this was thin, however this was not home made dough. Tortilla crust with some sauce, cheese and ham. Pretty sure it went in the microwave. The stew people were eating defiantly did. Mussels: this was the biggest let down. Not much flavor in the broth, just loaded up with butter and flavorless wine. Actual mussels were from a frozen bag. (We observed the cook using). I know we are in Alberta but if you are a restaurant you can source your seafood and meat wholesale. If I wanted frozen mussels from I would have gone to Costco and cooked them myself. Mussels came with a small plate of sad looking French fries, and after we were practically done, we were offered bread for our sauce, which never came anyway. If it was not for the live Irish band playing I would have been more p.o.'d. Pretty disapionted that people consider this a high quality establishment enough to recommend. I would rather spend my $$ elsewhere where chefs actually cook the food and source their menu locally or from a wholesaler that is not Safeway.

2 Thank Sonya U