“avoid the weekends”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“avoid the weekends”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I remember hiking Grassi Lakes in the springtime in the 1990s. The parking lot had just a few cars, the trailhead sign always had a bear warning sign stapled to it. You could enjoy a peaceful time in the woods. I revisited Grassi Lakes with my sister's family this August, we made it to the trailhead parking just before lunchtime. There was no parking in the lot, there was attempts by visitors to parallel park on the road causing the road to be plugged and turning a fairly wide road into a one way street.
The best way to go is the more difficult way up and the easy way down. Especially on busy weekends the congestion on the way up would be less intense. The lakes are beautiful and have not changed a bit. We continued on the climb up to the Smith Dorien Road to the lake at the top. It is very windy up there! It is very important to stick to the marked "staircase" trail to avoid dislodging any rocks that would fall toward the crowd sitting along the lakeshore. I noticed many folks unprepared wearing flip flops and not carrying water etc. Flip flops and sandals are unacceptable. But then this is the case any popular tourist trail spot.
Overall it was a wonderful day to a familiar place to bring back memories of my young days and spend time with family.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Beautiful views”
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Nice easy trail with very beautiful views along the way. The lakes are so amazing. Beautiful color. Loved the reflection of the mountain in the water.

Lakewood, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Very nice short hike to some special lakes”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I hike quite a bit and wanted a short (2-3 hour) hike. This hike gives the hiker two options; an easier way up and a more challenging hike. We did the 2nd one. It afforded some fantastic scenery and pretty steep climbing. The signs at the top were confusing and so we spent some time going the wrong route, but we eventually found the Grassi Lakes. They're 2 small lakes with walkways around them. Very pretty. We took the easy way down. The whole trip was very rewarding.

2 Thank treblecatS
Saint John, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 213 helpful votes
“Great Hike with Beautiful Views”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I hiked the Grassi Lakes Trail in August 2013 with a group of family members ranging in age from 3 to 60. We took the Easy trail up and the Difficult down....and I would suggest to do it in reverse order. Coming down requires a little more care and attention as it can be slippery in areas where there is water and loose rocks. Total time was approx 3 hours taking time to enjoy the scenery and not rushing. We also had a dog with us and she enjoyed a quick swim in the lake at the half way point. Beautiful lakes with blue/green color, rock climbers, mountain goats, and a beautiful waterfall (on the difficult trail). I would highly recommend it for all ages. One word of caution...use the washroom BEFORE you arrive at the start. There is an outhouse there but the smell was the worst I have ever encountered. People were actually gagging and coughing when they rushed out of it.

3 Thank AnnaBandana
Calgary, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Most amazing lakes”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This a unique experience for adventurous families, we have been there 4 times, and there is no other place like this in the Rockies. My daughter now, 4 years old enjoys it very much every time. The hike takes about 1.5 hour going up and 1hr down (easy option), If you plan to use a stroller you must bring a sturdy one, is a rocky, bumpy road up hill all the way, but the reward at the top is like no other.

Visited July 2013