“Great Stay in the Gateway to the Canadian Rockies!”
Review of Ramada Canmore

Ramada Canmore
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Canmore
Reviewed July 11, 2012

After spending some time in Calgary visiting family, we decided at the last minute to take the kids (ages 8 & 5) to the Rockies and Banff National Park. A quick search of TripAdvisor and Expedia and we had booked the Ramada Inn & Suites in Canmore for almost half the price of comparable accommodations inside the Park.

The rooms were clean and spacious and we were surprised to see the mini fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee pot with complementary coffee and full kitchen sink. A little investigation and we also found a couple of place settings of dinnerware. A very nice touch! (There is a Safeway supermarket right across the train tracks from the property)

We stayed on the track side, and while we did notice a few trains go by with the window open, the trains were not noticeable to us with the window closed and the room heater/AC fan on low. And for those who have complained that the rooms didn't have proper curtains, you obviously didn't look behind the curtains to find the blinds that completely block out ALL the light, including that from the spotlights that illuminate the building at night. We had ZERO issues with light coming into our room.

Yes the furniture is a little worn, but nothing was broken, everything was functional but come on people, this place is full 365 days a year with most room stays being 1-2 nights at most. The beds were quite comfortable and the environment unit did its job to keep us nice and cool during the recent heat wave. A great night's sleep was had by all.

The staff were friendly and helpful and did a wonderful job in the Breakfast room, despite a full house, there was zero wait for a table for breakfast. Great job!

While the only "restaurant" on site is the Breakfast room, there is a Family Greek restaurant adjacent to the hotel parking lot that offers delivery. The Greek menu is all made fresh from scratch and very tasty and reasonably priced. The complementary Deluxe Continental Breakfast includes the usual Cont. Breakfast suspects as well as some added hot items such as scrambled egg, sausage links, and pancakes. It was all very tasty and a great start to a fantastic day in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.

The property includes a small pool with waterslide that kept the kids entertained and did a great job of tuckering them out. There is also a nice hot tub for the parents to enjoy.

If you want 5 star accommodations I recommend you book the Banff Springs Hotel, or RimRock Resort, if you are looking for a great place to stay that offers clean rooms, comfy beds and a great FREE breakfast selection, I would recommend the Ramada Inn & Suites Canmore for a wonderful place to stay while visiting the Rockies!

Room Tip: Just keep your windows closed at night, the fan on and go fishing behind the curtains for the white...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
BesthotelinCanmore1, Manager at Ramada Canmore, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

I would like to thank you very much for your kind review of our property. I am thrilled you and your family enjoyed our three-story waterslide and our hot tub; and you found our new pillow-top mattress comfortable. There is nothing better than having a good night sleep.
I am very proud you found our breakfast staff friendly and helpful. I will forward your review to our breakfast manager and his staff. A positive comment goes a long way.
Please come back anytime

Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed there for one night and it was a great experience. The room itself and the bathroom are spacious. Breakfast was awesome with a pretty wide selection of items like pancakes, waffles, sauages, bacon and eggs etc. A nice place for family with children given its pool and waterslide facilities. Highly recommend to those who look for good place to stay with great breakfast at affordable cost near Banff.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking your valuable time to review your stay with us. I am pleased you found our breakfast awesome and our rooms spacious. I have to agree with you that our property is “a nice place for family with children given its pool and waterslide facilities”.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a low cost, reasonably clean although outdated Motel. The bathroom was clean and adequate, with low budget appliances and towels. The bedroom was reasonably clean and comfortable. The place has a small pool with slide for children. Many groups of young students and families with children were in evidence. WiFi was included and worked generally well with only a few hitches.

The continental breakfast was good considering the price. It included sausage (no bacon provided) eggs, toast, some low budget sweets like apple strudel, cereals, yoghourt, limited fruits, coffee and tea. Staff in this very busy section were pleasant and able to keep the place clean and the food and coffee replenished.

Canmore provides a good access point to Banff and other parks. The hotel was within walking distance to downtown Canmore and to a Grocery story. It is adjacent to the CP railroad line which carries the Canadian Economy through town (most Canmore hotels are exposed to the trains to some extent). I found that the train could be heard a bit but not felt - which was surprising. I was able to sleep well.

The front desk could be improved; the manager refused to honour an assurance that we would be able to extend our stay by up to a week - student groups seemed to be a higher priority than us. We scrambled to find alternative accommodations which turned out better but higher priced.

Overall and although not a luxury place, we recommend for families looking for a clean Budget accomodations near Banff and other parks.

Room Tip: Higher levels have nicer view and felt less noisy (from internal traffic). If interested in the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
BesthotelinCanmore1, Manager at Ramada Canmore, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

I am very glad you found our breakfast room staff pleasant. I have to say we get a lot of positive comments about them.
I am very sorry we couldn’t extend your reservation. No group has priority; it is all based on availability. It was very unfortunate.
Warm regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for only one night as we just dropped in after a spontaneous road trip. We had no problems checking in and staff was very fast to find us a room. We stayed on the rail side and I'm not sure if we were just so exhausted that we didn't ever hear it or if they weren't running (it was a Monday night). The tracks are almost in the parking lot so if one did go by I can see it being quite noisy.

I found the beds to be very comfortable and my husband and I both slept like rocks.

We were only there for a short time, but next time we drive through I would definately stay here again. It was a great value.

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

We are very pleased that we were able to accommodate you on such short notice and that you were able to have such a good night sleep. It is our wish that everyone leave the Ramada Canmore feeling rested and ready to continue their travels. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was a nice surprise for a Ramada, as I am not usually keen on Ramadas. But, the room was clean, nothing fancy, but clean is most important to me. There were a lot of kids here because there was a water slide, and I was prepared to hear noisy kids at night, but didn't hear any at all. I got a Hotwire rate, and so got an excellent deal. Would stay again. Also, breakfast was good. I especially liked the chocolate croissants. Yum! It was a better breakfast than I expected.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you for your kind words and we will relay your comments to all departments expressing how we exceeded your expectations. I’m sure they will be pleased to hear your comments. Good to know you enjoyed the chocolate croissants as well as the other breakfast items. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

A lovely motel in a beautiful town. Spacious, lovely rooms. A friendly, helpful front desk staff. A three-story water slide makes it popular with families, so expect noisy children running up and down the halls until 10. But it was quiet after that on the highway side, no traffic noise. Perhaps getting a room farther from the pool would be good. The room had a refrigerator, microwave, 2 tables and 3 chairs, and still lots of room. My only wish would be for more lamps for reading. The breakfast was an amazingly large, hot buffet. Clearly the nicest place we have ever stayed for less than $90. We look forward to staying again. What gorgeous mountains!

Room Tip: Room on the highway side and far from the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you so very much for your kind review of our property and town. You can expect the same amenities and breakfast during next visit. If there is ever anything we can do make your stay more pleasant; extra lighting or shampoo or coffee just the call the front desk and we will provide these items as quickly as possibly.

Until our next encounter.

Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

Just passing through Canmore and booked a room here for 3 reasons - reasonable price, had a pool for my kids, and had a FREE breakfast. This was also the only hotel on Expedia in Camrose/Banff area that offered the free breakfast and would accommodate my 2 adults and 3 kids in one room. The breakfast was very good and included some extras not normally seen at these free meals such as sausages and scrambled eggs. Lots of bread selections - bagels, English muffins, toast and muffins. Had oranges and bananas for fruit and waffles and pancakes. Waffles and pancakes were premade so you popped them in toaster or microwave. Had 3 four slot toasters as well which was great so you did not have to wait. And lastly breakfast goes from 6-11 am in a Friday am anyway - not sure if same on weekends.
This hotel was clean, the staff were friendly, appear to have lots of parking, and is easily accessible from the main road through Canmore. The pool was a little too cold for my tastes but the kids had fun on the waterslide. The pool was a bit on the small side as was the hot tub but my kids still had a great time. Wish pool had better hours in am as it operates 9am-10pm.
The only con in our room was the shower - could have had better water pressure.
Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012