“Weekend Trip”

Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Canmore
Edmonton, AB
“Weekend Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

My fiance and I made a trip out to the Canmore/Banff area to search out potential wedding venues, and decided to go for a budget and dog friendly stay at the Bow Valley Motel. Its right on the main street, was surprisingly quiet and really clean!
The rooms are older but if you're not planning on spending time in the room, and just need a place to sleep, this is an excellent choice. The only 'down' side I would have to mention is that if you are travelling with a dog you are not permitted to keep them in the room at all, (normally I just kennel her and she sleeps) so we had to find restaurants with patios where we could have her sit outside with us for meals.

Room Tip: I think the main floor rooms have kitchenettes, so you can save money by preparing your own meals.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Bow Valley Motel, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Hello,

Thank you so much for your candid comments. I just thought I would write here and clarify our pet policy. We do allow pets in the room but we just ask that they are not left unattended during housekeeping hours. We put this in place because a house keeper had an incident when one was left in the room when she went to clean the room. We implemented it more for the safety of our staff. If you wish to forgo having your room serviced and you pet does not bark, disturb other guests and is house trained we are fine with them staying in the room. Sorry if this wasn't made more clear at check in.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you again in the future!

Bow Valley Motel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed here for two nights during the Canada Day long-weekend. The location is better than any other motel/hotel in Canmore. It's located right on main street in downtown Canmore. The rooms are very clean and have new flat-screen TV's. We stayed on the third floor with a magnificent view of the Three Sisters! There was a mini-fridge which was nice to keep drinks and leftovers cold. The bathroom was quite spacious, but was in need of a small upgrade. There is a laundromat located on the premises and was very handy for doing a quick load. The office staff were extremely helpful and friendly. We also had free covered parking. It was so nice to be able to walk everywhere!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Recently stayed for 2 nights and you couldn't ask for a better location in Canmore. However, even as a smoker, I don't recommend the smoking room. It seemed dark and naturally you can smell the cigarette smoke. Plus it's right next to the laundromat so people would be walking by the window or standing outside the laundromat door chatting. I didn't see any of the other rooms other than pictures but if I stayed here again I'd pick a regular ground floor room and smoke outside it like others were doing. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the beds were comfortable but the bathroom floor was like ice!

Room Tip: Skip the smoking room whether you're a smoker or not.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gat590
, Manager at Bow Valley Motel, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Hello,

We do have one room which is smoking permitted on our property. It has been a smoking room for a long time and although we regularly paint and try to maintain the room it can still smell strongly of smoke. I would say that this room does not reflect the condition of our other rooms with are 100% non smoking. We do let people know when booking this room it is smoking and will smell of smoke. However because we are a Motel most guests find it very easy to stay in a non smoking room and just step outside. We would love to welcome you back to enjoy one of other rooms where this is the case and we feel you not doubt have a great stay.
The particular room you stayed in is located near the laundry facilities and can have people around it. We are looking into solutions regarding this and will probably be shutting entrance into the space from the back door to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Thank you for your candid comments and we hope to welcome you again!

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

When I knew I would be visiting Canmore again, I knew where I would be staying. I was warmly greeted by Devon and given plenty of information. My room was at ground level and was very cosy and comfortable, well decorated, with coffee maker and fridge. The motel has a policy of no noise after 10.00pm and I know the staff do night checks. However, the guests in the room above me returned about midnight and decided to have baths, the plumbing noise was dreadful. Then the couple next to me decided to have a lively discussion sitting on the path, about 1.00am and they ignored my request to stop. When I told Devon next day, he immediatley offered me another room on the other side. This was a bigger room, with small kitchenette and I had a good sleep the second night. Perhaps management could put notices in rooms asking guests not to shower or bath late at night? There is no food service at the motel, but plenty of places in the main street. Ask Devon for his advice. If I should return to Canmore, I know where I will be staying as I like places where staff really want me to enjoy my stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms are on the 2nd and 3rd floor and there is no lift.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Bow Valley Motel, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your review of our property. We try our best to ensure every guest has an enjoyable stay. I am sorry to hear you had some difficult sleeping the first night. We try our best to ensure that guest's do not disturb each other when staying with us and we implemented night checks to help ensure this. Unfortunately it is not fail proof. We always try our best to accommodate people into another room whenever possible if they are not satisfied with their room. We are an older property (over 25 years now in beautiful Canmore!) and that can come with some older plumbing. We are sorry to hear this effected you during your. We can't ask guests not to shower during the night but we are happy to move you to a room where you may not be effected by it.

Thank you for your candid comments and we are thrilled to hear you stay again with us!

Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

This motel is located downtown Canmore. You can`t find a better location than this one. It`s close to shopping, restaurants, pubs etc... all walking distance. The only other place that is on main street in Canmore is the Drake Inn which is rather noisy. The rest of the hotels are far away from main street and sit right beside the railway tracks which is very noisy at night (I found that out the first night I stayed in Canmore). The staff are happy and quick with check in. The rooms are very clean and beds are comfy. I have stayed in Canmore several times from Calgary and can tell you that you are getting the best value for money here. Yes, the motel is old and the parking lot is a little bit bumpy but look at what you`re paying. This is not a 5 star resort but it is definitely a clean, comfortable place to stay with a fantastic location. Stay here if you`re on a budget and you really don`t need the "extras" and would like to save it for a nice dinner out. I was very happy with this motel after staying at several other places in town. I look at the previous reviews and think people`s expectations are high for what they are paying in this tourist town. Just sayin`!

Room Tip: Ask the managers about biking as they will tell you about many good trails to go on.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Flyer C
Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Quiet (apart from the folks in the adjoining room), comfortable bed, conveniently located. Handy to have a little kitchenette too. I think the website still says it has a hot tub but this is no longer there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Bow Valley Motel, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thank you for your review of our Motel. Every review is important to us as it's critical to the success of our small family run business.

I am sorry to hear the neighbours next door were not very neighbourly! Please do not hesitate to contact the front desk and we will do everything in our power to ensure you have a pleasant stay. This would definitely include a call to your neighbours to turn the volume down. We want you to enjoy your experience here and get a good nights sleep.

We used to have a hot tub on site but it has since been removed. We have removed all photos and information pertaining to it on Bow Valley Motel .ca quite a long time ago, so I am not sure where this information is still coming up. If you do find it listed somewhere please email me and I will ensure it's removed from any other linked site. Sorry if that lead to any disappointment.

Thank you for your candid comments!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Clean Motel room, great location on Main St.
Quite room, with very friendly front desk staff. Stayed one Friday night and was not disappointed.
The new Sony flat screen was a nice surprise. The views from the front window are stunning.
This place even has self service laundry, free wi-fi and no charge parking.
Do the math, its a bargain.

Room Tip: second floor is best you'll have mountain view!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends