“Overall OK but could have been better”

Quality Resort Chateau Canmore
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Canmore
Eugene, Oregon
“Overall OK but could have been better”
Reviewed September 13, 2007

We happened to stay in Canmore on 2 separate occasions in a 2 week time frame. Overall the hotel was OK, but for the price things could have been better. The rooms were good with a kitchenette and a descent view. Overall the rooms appeared clean, but are going to need some extra love soon.
Upon arrival the front desk was OK, not overly welcoming but not rude. During our second visit our room was not ready so we decided to slowly get our bags and wait in the lobby. We checked back in 40 minutes and it still was not ready. So we all know that things happen so we waited and watched the weather channel. After close to 1 hour after their posted check in time our room was still not ready. Finally the call came out and we were allowed to enter. Meanwhile not one apology or explanation was offered from the front desk.
We proceeded to our floor only to find the housekeepers madly dashing about trying to prepare other rooms. After talking to them they were cleaning up after a very messy sports team had been allowed to stay well past the normal time. The housekeepers were the one's to offer the apology, NOT the front desk or the manager...??? In retrospect we would have looked around a little harder.

In comparing the 2 rooms it was interesting to note how one room was very cold while the other was very warm. One room the bed was very comfy while the other was going to need to be replaced. Overall it was OK. Pricey for what you end up with.

• Liked — Fairly clean
  • Disliked — Guest consideration
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Colorado
Reviewed April 17, 2007

My wife and I are from Colorado Springs, Colorado and we were searching the web for the best hotel deals. We read about the hotels and then the reviews. We liked what we read about the Chateau Canmore, but when reading one of the reviews for the hotel, we were surprized how incredibly negative it was so we looked elsewhere. In the end though we decided to give it a chance. We are writing this review because we want everyone to know that we found the Chateau Canmore to be totally the opposite. The hotel was very clean, the staff very friendly, the amenities were wonderful, including the swimming pool, the hot tub, the sauna and the fitness room. We loved the decor of our room along with the fireplace, fridge and microwave.
One of the comments made by another reviewer is that trains pass behind the hotel and that they do; however, these trains are not like the ones that we have in the States where they are constantly blowing their warning horns. These ones simply pass by and when they do, they are more like background noise rather than a distraction.
Canmore is a great little town nestled at the foot of the mountains. The people are friendly and open; the air fresh, what more could you ask for?
For those who want a great hotel experience, we highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The great amenities
  • Disliked — Time was too short
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Coloradorover
Vancouver
Reviewed September 18, 2006

First, the small problem: The room was very worn looking with a dirty carpet and bathtub. For well over over $200 per night, this is not acceptable. This hotel is rated as a 3-star hotel, but this type of of room maintenance is something usually found in a one-star cheap motel.

The next problem was more serious:
When I forst entered the hotel, there were two clerks on duty behind the desk, busy having a personal conversation with each other. The fermale clerk asked me what I wanted, and I asked her for a quiet room for a good night's sleep with no disturbances, preferably with no room above me. I told her I had been travelling all day and needed sleep more than anything else. She assigned me to a room on the top floor. During the time she was gathering my information, credit card, etc., she was still talking to the male employee. I got to the room, then had a late dinner at the hotel and then went to bed. After only a few hours sleep, I was startled by a telephone call. It was a wake-up call which I had certainly not requested. I phoned the front desk and politely asked them what the call was about, especially since I had specifically requested not to be disturbed. The clerk told me the wake-up call was intended for the person who had previously booked the room, but then cancelled his reservation. I couldn't get back to sleep, and I then politely asked the clerk if I could get a refund on the room since my purpose was to sleep. She sais she couldn't make the decision and no manager was there. I then checked out of the hotel, I spoke with another female clerk. We had a short pleasant conversation. I was tired and unhappy with the lack of sleep, but I made my complaint very calm and polite. I told the clerk I would speak with the manager by e-mail or phone later and certainly did not blame her for the problem. I signed my hotel check with a note to the manager, Lee Novak, asking for a refund, and left my e-mail address. The hotel manager, Lee Novak, did not answer this note, so I sent an e-mail, again outlining the problem. The manager, Lee Novak, replied, saying that she believed I was entitled to a full refund, but would only give me half. The reason for giving me only half, she stated in her e-mail (which was a complete shock to me) was that I had abused and sworn at her employee. I replied to her e-mail, telling her she was mistaken. So I am left with a $258 bill for an overnight stay in which I couldn't sleep, and am now accused of being an abusive customer. This is simply not in my nature, is not how I talk to anyone, so I am offended. All of my subsequent e-mails to Lee Novak, the hotel manager, were ignored. These e-mails were also business-like and polite. To date, I haven't even get the half-refund that Lee Novak had pronised. I am an experienced businessman, over 50 years old. I don't mistreat anyone, never use foul language, yet this hotel manager, Lee Novak, having witnessed nothing, accuses me of abusive behavior and won't deal with the issue.

In summary, this hotel has inexperienced staff, very poor management, and the rooms are not clean.

• Liked — the restaurant staff were friendly
  • Disliked — impossible to sleep, not clean, irresponsible staff, poor management
  • Tips/Secrets — never stay at the Quality Resort Chateau Canmore, other local hotels are much better
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank lotuslander
Mama1720, General Manager at Quality Resort Chateau Canmore, responded to this review, September 24, 2006
-Guest received an unrequested wake up call at 6:00 a.m.
- Night auditor took responsibility for the error and apologized
- Night auditor was yelled at by guest over the phone. Guest used profanity several times.
- The other female clerk the guest spoke to on check out concurs that the conversation was polite. However, this clerk was the same person who received the rude phone call. She said “he was like a different person between the phone call and when at the desk – perhaps because there were other people in the lobby when he was checking out.”
- Guest has repeatedly made reference to wanting a good night’s rest and that he was tired. The wake up call was made at 6:00 a.m. and he has stated in correspondence he had only received four hours sleep to that point, indicating he went to bed at 2:00 a.m. Guest had checked into the hotel at 7:30 p.m., then had dinner and beverages from 10:20 p.m. – 11:30 p.m. in the hotel restaurant. If he was tired, why did he eat so late and stay up so late?
- Guest did not make any reference to unsatisfactory room conditions either in person, by phone or in previous correspondence with the hotel. His demand was for a full refund due to a human error of an incorrectly programmed wake up call.
- Guest’s credit card has been refunded for the full room & tax portion of his hotel bill (the $258 he refers to includes food & beverage purchases).
- Emails from Guest have been replied to. It was necessary to speak with hotel staff to conduct a proper investigation. As not everyone works 24/7 and employees have different days off, giving the guest an immediate response – as he demanded, was unreasonable.
- Night Auditor has been a long term, exemplary employee. She has no reason to fabricate or lie about a guest being rude and swearing at her. As a manager, who would you believe – a dedicated staff member or this person?

Travelers are raving about these Canmore hotels

Edmonton
Reviewed September 3, 2006

Overall, a pleasant but uneventful stay. The rooms are a bit small for a one-bedroom suite, but it slept our family of five comfortably. Two in each double bed (are double beds really that small?) and one on the pull out sofa. Not much room to walk around once the sofa is pulled out. Housekeeping was clean and on time.

Lots of hot water, so they may have solved their boiler problems or, we were just in a room that was uneffected. Being able to open the window is a nice touch and it helped cool down the room without the need for air conditioning. It did bring in the road noise however. We were on the road side away from the train tracks so the train noise was not an issue.

The pool is a little small but the kids had fun. One recommendation: If the pool is closed for repairs or cleaning, put the sign on the locker room. Our kids were changed and showered before finding our that the pool was closed one day.

Skip the restaurant, there are too many nice places to dine in Canmore than to eat here. The breakfast buffet was an experience. Go early or don't go at all. Nothing was replenished and we ate the scaps from the edges of the buffet platters. It looked like they had a fresh berry compote for the pancakes and a fruit salad judging by the juices at the bottom of the bowls. The pancakes and French toast were probably better in the first hour after they were cooked. The staff was cheerful but I don't think the waiter had been to bed yet from the night before.

Other than the restaurant, it was a nice stay; not too fancy and nothing to complain about, which is the reason I picked the hotel in the first place. I would probably stay here again unless I could get into one of the hotels tucked up in the mountains.

• Liked — you get what you pay for
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — Book road side on higher floors
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank B'sbirdhouse
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2006

I'm not a negative person, so let me start with the positives: our room in June 2006 was clean, spacious (separate lounge and second television), fridge, microwave, tea-coffee facilities.

But there were problems. It was impossible, even with the window open (it was cool outside) and the air conditioning on to get the temperature below 24C after retiring. With the window open there was a good deal of road noise.

Early in the evening someone phoned and asked whether anything in the room needed attending to. I told them that a light bulb needed replacing in a standard lamp in the lounge, but no one came. This wasn't the end of the world, but why bother making the phone call?

The real fun began later in the evening when my travel partner tried to take a bath. It was impossible to get hot water, even though the basin and kitchen sink were fine. At 9:15 pm we rang reception and they said they'd fix it. 9:45 pm and nothing had happened so we rang again and were told that someone had been to the plumbing room and that it was fixed. But it wasn't, so we phoned again and asked them to let us know when it was fixed. 10 pm they rang back and said it was fixed but again it wasn't. Rang reception again and said that we wanted someone to come to the room. 10:05 pm someone arrives and agrees it doesn't work (reassurring that we're not a pair of dills) and says we would need to change rooms. Not happy with the prospect of re-packing and unpacking so late I asked whether we could have access to another room and use its bathroom, and they agree. At 10:10 pm he returns with the card for the room opposite, 315 (ours was 314).

Hotels can have problems, and this isn't what angered us. We were disappointed with the way it was dealt with. As we were booked for three nights, the following morning I asked whether we could have our first night's $139 refunded. I was told I needed to return after 8:30 am when a supervisor was present, so we waited for an hour to do this. When we called back on our way out we were told that we wouldn't be charged for the first night, so we were quite happy to put it all behind us.

But it didn't end there. That evening the hot water in 314 hadn't been repaired, so my partner again took a bath in 315. Next morning I went to 315 to take a shower and discovered that the card wouldn't open the door. I called reception, and they brought up a new card. I entered 315 to discover that it had been occupied during the night! When I called reception they seemed unaware of this! Reluctantly I showered amid someone else's wet towels on the floor and their used toiletries. But thank goodness no one had walked in on my partner in the bath the previous evening!

That afternoon we arrived home and discovered that our card would not let us into 314. Back down to reception, who advised us that they had moved us to 214, a floor lower. They offered assistance in moving our belongings. In 214 the air conditioner worked much better and we didn't swelter. And the hot water in the bathroom worked!

But now the crowning glory. On our final morning just before we checked out we thought we had left something in 314 so returned to look. Just in case, we knocked on the door, and were surprised to find the room occupied. After we'd explained why we were there, the new occupant said "So they knew about the hot water, did they?" Obviously they had re-booked the room while aware of the problem!

I guess on an extended holiday the chances are you'll encounter problems at one or two accommodation places. Chateau Canmore wasn't the only place we experienced difficulties. But the one or two other places dealt with them efficiently and made sure they made it up to us. At least Chateau Canmore provided us with plenty to talk about when we got home!

By the way, the hotel's supposedly German restaurant had very ordinary food and was way overpriced. We ate there once only in our three days.

Stayed June 2006
6 Thank GrahamWM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2006

We would describe ourselves as very loyal Chateau Canmore customers. We have stayed here with our two children annually for years, usually for a night or two right before Easter weekend. I don't believe we have ever paid more than $90 per night, and this year we were given a rate of $59.50. They have loft suites available, but we've always been perfectly comfortable in the regular rooms (aka "Deluxe Suites").

First, let's deal with the downsides:

Yes, there is a train track next to the hotel (this is true of many hotels in Canmore), but the noise has never particularly bothered us. If you're worried about the noise, request a suite on the east side (facing away from the tracks).

Yes, the accommodations are nothing fancy. If you demand down-filled duvets and chocolates on the pillows, look elsewhere. That said, the Chateau Canmore is unfailingly clean and comfortable.

Now, for the plusses:

The suites, though rather small, are efficiently laid out. Every suite has a separate living room (with hide-a-bed sofa) in addition to two double beds in the bedroom. There are two televisions and one VCR (movies available in the lobby). There is a gas fireplace in the bedroom.

You get a small kitchenette -- mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, bar sink -- making it easy for those on a budget to save a few more bucks.

There's a pool, including an outdoor hot tub, and a decent little fitness room.

We have always received exceptional service. We have occasionally made special requests -- early check-in, slightly delayed check-out, change of rooms -- and the staff has always been eager to accommodate. The people are friendly and obliging.

To summarize, the Chateau Canmore gives us a clean comfortable suite complete with a separate living room/kitchenette, a pool/hot tub/fitness room, and impeccable service -- all for less than we'd pay for most motels. This is one of our all-time favourite homes-away-from-home. Enthusiastically recommended!

• Stayed April 2006
9 Thank srollans
Calgary
Reviewed January 28, 2006

I stayed here for several weeks while waiting for my house to be finished, and must say this hotel is top-notch!

The rooms are spacious (I love the separate sitting area) and the beds and pillows are some of the most comfortable I have ever had in a hotel. The fireplace was nice on cold nights and the views were magnificent.

Upon arrival, I cringed at the thought of how noisy the trains would be in the night, but was pleasantly surprised by the lack of disturbance. In fact, they added a nice touch to my stay.

The food in the restaurant was great, and the prices were very reasonable for the portion sizes.

The hotel staff was knowledgeable about area attractions and Ryan on the front desk went above and beyond to ensure I always had what I needed for my extended stay.

I was impressed that all parking stalls had plugins for cold nights and the outdoor hot tub was incredible.

• Stayed January 2006