“good hotel”

Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Canmore
Hamburg, Wisconsin, United States
“good hotel”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I liked this hotel for the most part.Rooms were big and clean, beds comfortable. It was great to have a frig and microwave. We stayed there two nights so it was nice to have them. The lady at check in was nice. What I didn't like was the keys with the name of the hotel and room numbers on it. If I lost this key who ever found could go in to my room. Be careful with your room keys.
Breakfast was ok. The reason I booked this hotel was for the breakfast. Was a little disappointed with it. Seen there were sandwich makings in frig but didn't know if we could have them. They weren't out on counter and no sign. No one else was taking them either. Didn't know if they were later. Overall it is a nice Inn. Lobby was big also. And Inn was quiet and and less pricey then the ones in Banff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We have spend four nights at this hotel during June 2012.

The location: the reason to choose this hotel is probably only one: reasonably priced with a quiet location near Banff. If you would like to travel a few days outside of the Banff/Jasper national park this is a good place as you would save the park fees for a few days. It is near the town centre and would have just a short drive to Safeway market and downtown. There are a number of other similar hotels around that road and you could easily find a good deal if you shop along that road. Our visiting season (June) is just a beginning of the summer and have not gotten too many tourists so the price is still quite attractive.

The safeway market is a nice place for us to prepare for next day's lunch box and we could go there to buy things to make our own burgers and sandwiches. The fruits there are also quite good. Remember to join free Safeway membership if you do not have it so you could save immediately with the member price there.

The room: the room is big with micro-wave and fridge. There is also a gas heating stove. The interesting thing is that the heating keeps on and there is no way to switch it off. We have to turn on the air con to make the room cool. The air con is a bit noisy and old. The shower is a plastic tube type but has been maintained clean.

The service: the hotel offers free breakfast which is simple but that is all you need. It has boiled eggs, fruits. You could even make your own wafer. The hotel offers all day free coffee and tea so you do not need to use the coffee maker (honestly the coffee maker in the room is very dirty and I guess no one would want to use it anymore).

There is no laundry service in the hotel. The hotel staff would point to to a nearby self laundry store near a town motel which is easy to find.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2012

After spending two nights in luxury accommodations elsewhere we were looking for something a bit more modest for our last night in the mountains. While we normally stay at the Chateau Canmore across the street when we are in Canmore, traveling with our dog made that cost-prohibitive this time. While the property looks quite quaint on the outside, on the inside the lobby is very nice and our room, though not huge or anything fancy, was spotlessly clean and the access to the outside was handy with the dog. It had a microwave, fridge, and a gas firelplace. The beds were comfy. It was quiet. However, the hotel website says there are mountain views from every room, which is actually impossible. Our room was at the back of the hotel on the main floor; the only view we had was of the parking lot and the large condo complex behind it. We went into downtown Canmore and that solved that problem anyway. The breakfast was more than I expected which was a pleasant surprise. Overall, a great value if you are traveling to the mountains on a budget.

Room Tip: If you must have a mountain view either ask for a room on the second floor at the front of the hotel...
1 Thank Vicki P
Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and were very happy. Nice hotel and breakfast for the price. This is the perfect hotel for anyone trying to enjoy the great outdoors. I am also so glad that we stayed in Canmore instead of tourist craziness in Banff.

• Stayed June 2012
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This was not my first choice in Canmore, which is beautiful and always a pleasure to visit, but we were traveling with dogs, and the choice is very limited in our price range.

The hotel room was nice with a fireplace, fridge and patio access. The bedspreads were surprisingly nice. It was great having a backdoor onto some grass for our dogs.

The breakfast the next day was decent for a continental breakfast. Unfortunately our room was right beside the breakfast room, and it was loud, despite my having been assured it wouldn't be.

The bathroom had the most hair on the floor of any hotel bathroom I've stayed in. It was gross. Everything else appeared to be quite clean.

I probably won't stay here again, but I probably won't be in Canmore again with my dogs, so I'll have more options.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed in the Canmore Rocky Mountain Inn on the June 9th weekend for a Banff wedding, and I was pleasantly surprised at the place. It's not perfect by any means, and they are in the middle of some renovations to there was some mess around, but for $89 a night for 2 queen beds and a fireplace, it's hard to beat that only minutes from the mountains. Clean, pretty quiet (except the air conditioner, very loud unfortunately), and very polite and friendly staff.

Only downside / recommendation is the same concern other reviewers have mentioned, the heat in the rooms. To their credit, the front desk lady informed me at check in that some of the fireplaces have their pilot lights turned off as they heat the room up too much, and ours wasn't one that was turned off. I thought the thermostat would be a modern one that automatically fired up the Air-con if necessary, but it's an older style where you have to manually flick it to Cool before the unit kicks in...something I didn't notice until a few hours in a too-hot-too-sleep room. But, if you fix up the heat situation and crack a window before bed, I'd highly recommend it for a sub $100/night hotel in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the building aren't overlooking the breakfast area, so you won't...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband liked this hotel more than I did. The room we had was very clean, with microwave and fridge, and it had a fireplace. I found it very quiet but for some reason it was very hot. We turned the heat off and opened the balcony door and window and kept them open all night. For me the bed was really hard and so were the pillows. And I like a quilt not the sheet/blanket that they had. But that's just preference~everything was clean. The lounge area was beautiful with a large open fireplace and leather sofas and armchairs. There was always someone at the desk and coffee/tea available at all times. The breakfast was average with quite a few choices though. The price was great! Our room was $89 (add tax and tourism fee) which included your continental breakfast; it also had a fridge and microwave. The front rooms all had great views but you were on the highway. The back rooms were quiet even though it was facing a parking lot and another hotel. I'd recommend the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
BesthotelinCanmore1, Manager at Canmore Rocky Mountain Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry you didn’t find your bed and linens to be to your liking. During your next visit please request one of the newly renovated rooms with the newer pillow top mattress and I’m certain we can arrange for you to have a duvet as well. And of course during your next stay you expect the same amenities, comforts and breakfast that you enjoyed.
Warm regards.