“Intro to Mountaineering / Yoho Peaks”

Yamnuska Mountain Adventures - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: We are Canada's premier mountain school and mountain guiding company. located in Canmore, Alberta we offer ice climbing, rock climbing, mountaineering, skiing and avalanche courses. We do day trips as well as multi day programs.
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is the second year in a row that our small group (2 dads and 2 teenagers) has participated in a Yamnuska program; Into to Mountaineering in 2012 and Yoho Peaks in 2013. The experience was fantastic both times, and we will be going out with them again next summer. We were backpackers and scramblers, but had no prior mountaineering experience. Yamnuska took care of all details for us, from renting alpine boots and climbing gear to supplying the food we'd be taking up to the huts with us. All this was flawless. Most importantly, our guide (Richard) was excellent. You couldn't ask for someone with a better disposition. Instruction was 'learn by doing', while he ensured that we were safe. Richard also had a great rapport with the teens. They were assigned important tasks to perform, were given opportunities to lead as we crossed the glaciers, and were called upon to evaluate the situations we faced as we made route decisions, and were constantly kept engaged. This wasn't a 'follow the leader' exercise, but rather a trip where our guide took every opportunity to explain what we would be doing and why. Each of the trips we've been on have multiple climbing objectives in the vicinity of the huts we've stayed in, so the day's climbs can be fine tuned to the group's abilities and the weather. Would recommend without reservation.

All reviews
"beautiful country"
"climbing gear"
"thought possible"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this trip"
in 3 reviews
"canadian rockies"
in 7 reviews
"backcountry skiing"

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I just finished this course yesterday. It was a phenomenal experience with great instructors. We spent four nights at Bow Hut and one night at Peyto hut. We spent every day learning mountaineering skills and then applying those skills. We climbed two peaks and did glacier travel, crevasse rescue, rope skills, crampon technique, low angle ice climbing, and more. The guides did a great job teaching and keeping us safe, and the food was excellent.

I will definitely do more trips and courses with Yamnuska!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

When I decided I’d like to see the Rockies from the mountains rather than the highway, I looked to the Internet to find a guided backpacking trip. Yamnuska had, by far, the best website. Every program was described in detail including program difficulty, daily distance, daily elevation gain/loss, appropriate gear, and what we could expect to experience on the trip. Before I made a final choice I had a couple of email conversations with the office staff. My questions were answered promptly in a friendly and efficient way and I had no qualms about putting my money down.
Our Skoki Circuit 4-day backpacking trip turned out exactly as described and better. Our guide, Tamara, was super helpful right from the start, making sure we were properly outfitted, and eliminating gear from our packs that we wouldn’t need. None of our 5 person group had much experience in the backcountry, but we soon adjusted to the weight of our backpacks and with Tamara's help, had tents and tarps figured out in no time. With the packs, the hiking was a good workout without being exhausting and the scenery was incredible.
And the food was amazing: varied, substantial and delicious. Yamnuska caters to all dietary needs and my gluten-free friend was well looked after for meals and snacks. In addition to food allergies, program participants are asked about food preferences so I was thrilled that my dislike of nuts was taken into consideration when the kitchen staff put together our individual lunch snacks.
My friend and I loved the entire experience and are already thinking about which Yamnuska program to do next.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had not backpacked for over thirty years and wanted an experience of the wilderness without having to worry about getting lost, or having to do all the food planning. Yamnuska provided the perfect trip. Our guide (Tamara) was absolutely excellent. She was very friendly, knowledgeable, and completely professional - I always knew I was in good hands. We were given clear instructions - there was never an occasion where I wondered what I should be doing. Made it very relaxing. The food was better than I had expected - they were excellent about providing for diet restrictions. The route they chose was spectacular (Skoki Circuit).
I thoroughly enjoyed myself and wouldn't hesitate to do another trip with Yamnuska and Tamara.