“Food okay, terrible service”

The Iron Goat Pub and Grill
Ranked #12 of 125 Restaurants in Canmore
Cuisines: Canadian, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: eagle terrace
Reviewed April 27, 2014

A friend and I went here on a slow Friday night. We were seated immediately as we had a reservation. We had to ask our waitress to lower the blinds so the sun wasn't blinding our eyes, and even then, three people couldn't figure out how to do it. The service didn't start off bad; our waitress was at first quite chatty and friendly. We ordered a plate of taco nachos to share, and I also had a Caesar salad and my friend had a pizza. Both the nachos and salad arrived fairly quickly. I ate my salad first, which turned out to be a mistake - by the time I got to the nachos, the chips were soggy, disgusting and inedible. Our waitress cleared our plates without asking how the good was and we each ordered a second drink. My friend's pizza arrived after about 20 minutes wait; apparently the waitress was waiting for our word to start the pizza. Would have been nice if she had told us that, we could have been waiting all night! The service declined from there. Our waitress spent more time socializing with the table next to us and holding their baby! She came back once to put the leftover pizza in a take home box, didn't ask if we wanted dessert or coffee, and didn't bring the bill. She walked by our table many times and ignored us. After another 20 minutes, my friend got up and asked another server for a dessert menu. She informed our waitress who brought the menu over, and then left to gossip with the other. Probably complaining about us? Having looked at the menu, nothing appealed to us, our waitress came back and when we said we didn't want dessert, she acted like we were just annoying her on purpose. Didn't offer coffee, and then we had to ask for the bill! Overall, rude service, underwhelming food. The drinks were good, though, so at least they have a good bartender! I stay in Canmore at least once a year, and usually make the Iron Goat a dinner must. From now on, however, I will go somewhere else with better service and food.

2  Thank CanuckFoodie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,352)

Reviewed April 12, 2014

This establishment was right beside the Inn that we stayed at, so proximity was our original draw to this pub and grill, but everything else made us go back for more! The first dinner we had, happened to coincide with the "Canmore Uncorked" food festival tour, so we were offered a specialized menu and I took them up on it. 3-courses of delectible food coupled with a specialty brew beer was a great treat.

As a result of this great experience, we went back a couple evenings later to eat there again. This time off the menu. Again, was not disappointed! Excelent food, service and atmosphere will keep us going back every time we go to Canmore, or even just passing through!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

The food was wonderful, setting beautiful and prices reasonable.
Great place to spend a casual relaxing afternoon with family and friends.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

I loved this restaurant. The food is absolutely amazing and the prices are extremely reasonable. Four of us went together so I had a chance to sample a lot of different dishes and it was all amazing. I consider myself a bit of a food snob and I couldn't believe how good the food was. There was a really loud table next to us, which would normally have bothered me since our table was having a hard time hearing each other, but I didn't even care because I was so busy enjoying my food. Some of my recommendations: the chipolte mango duck wings, taco nachos, Alberta lamb shank and blackened chicken carbonara. There was a delicious puffed pastry dessert too, but I cannot remember the name. I would go back here in a heartbeat. Loved it!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

On our first trip to Canmore, this place came recommended by at least 3 friends, so it made it to the top of our "To Try" list...and we absolutely LOVED it. We stopped in after a full day of x-country skiing around 4:30 pm. The place had a few people, but it wasn't swamped yet. We were asked if we had reservations (Ooops...No!)...but they accommodated us anyway. We were led to the table to by the large stone fireplace overlooking the mountains. Beautiful view. Our waitress was very friendly - provided excellent recommendations - and seemed to "sense" when we needed service and when we wanted to be left alone. Menu has lots of selections, including some vegetarian meals. We chose to share the Blue Crab and Lobster dip for an appetizer. It was amazing! I was torn between the Alberta Game Meatloaf and the Blackened Chicken Carbonara - waitress recommended I try the meatloaf - which was DIVINE...and also very popular among other guests that evening (came with mac'n'cheese and veggies). The hubby tried the Alberta Baby Back Ribs (with a side of shrimp), and said they were some of the best he's ever eaten...literally fell off the bone. We tried some of the beer that the waitress recommended, and we both loved our orders!!! Went back the next day with some friends after a day of snowshoeing, another couple with a 3-year old, and once again, were immediately accommodated. They brought chocolate milk and crayons for the lil' one, and we munched on the raved about "Chipotle Mango Duck Wings" and downed a few beers. Highly recommend!!!

1  Thank jkunze