“One Concern...”

Snowy Owl Sled Dog Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Snowy Owl Sled Dog Tours, the famous forerunners in sled dog touring and racing in the Bow Valley, created the first dog sledding tours over a quarter of a century ago. With over 30 years of experience and expertise in touring, racing and conservation; we are extremely proud of our Canadian and Albertan roots and look forward to sharing our exceptional experiences with you!Our mission is to educate, entertain and provide our guests with a “once in a lifetime experience!” We employ the most qualified instructors, the friendliest and most beautiful, authentic touring huskies who all receive the best possible dog care. We provide guests with the safest tour offerings, all while ensuring the utmost comfort and superior attention to customer service and detail. Snowy Owl Sled Dog Tours excels in its commitment to offer the most genuine dog sledding experience in the Canadian Rockies
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

The whole experience was amazing!! The dogs are wonderful, hard working and VERY friendly. The scenery is breathtaking and the guides are all great. The is one thing I noticed....as the dogs would stop to do their business...there seemed to be blood in their stool....a concerning sight.

SnowyOwlTours, Owner at Snowy Owl Sled Dog Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you very much for your review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us!

We also thank you for letting us know about your concern - it most defiantly is alarming if you did indeed see blood in the stools of some of our dogs. We hope you mentioned something to your instructor so they were able to address this issue immediately. As I am sure you have noticed this is not a common occurrence. We are committed to ethical dog sledding and to our high level of dog care from what our dogs eat, how often they run tours (we document down to the mileage, terrain, weight and temperature each dog experiences on their day of work) as well as their quality of life. By always providing top notch care to our husky family our guests are simply blown away at the level of care our dogs receive and ultimately, how happy and healthy they each of our husky heroes are! This would be our very first review commenting on being concerned about any of our sled dogs. However, thank you for noting how wonderful our 4-legged team is as well, we appreciate that because we think they are wonderful as well!

I’d like to explain a few things to ensure proper information was provided to you. Our dogs eat a completely raw diet consisting of beef liver, beef lung, beef spleen, beef trim, whole ground chickens, chicken trim, sardines, kelp, seaweed, apples, leafy greens, whole eggs and carrots. This food is not only human grade but also majority organic and free range so free of hormones and antibiotics as well. In saying this, our dog’s stools are much different in appearance and color than most dogs that eat kibble or kibble and meat for example. Our dog’s stools often can have a crimson look to them due to the high content of meat in their diet which could possibly be what you saw? We have also had a comment of blood in a dog’s stool this season (this is our first season feeding this raw diet) however, when the guest observed closely (they were sitting in the sled so couldn’t see very well) they were seeing some carrots in the dog’s stool, not blood to our relief! I hope this helps explain a little about what you could have seen as it is our policy never to run a dog who is sick or stressed (stress can also be a factor to a dog having blood in their stool.) In addition, we do have a few dogs that have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and although they receive medications and this condition has improved since switching fully to a raw diet, sometimes these dogs can experience difficulty when doing their business which can lead up to them having some blood in their stool. When we see this we take the dog out of the team and let them rest for the remainder of the day and if we ever have any serious concerns for any of our dogs we always include our expert veterinarian’s opinion in the matter as well!

Again, we thank you for caring about the dogs – it truly is great to have people who are as attentive to the well-being of the dogs as you are on tour with us and any opportunity we have to further explain the care of our sled dogs is always valued!

If you have any questions or you feel that there was another issue or that the situation wasn’t dealt with properly please do not hesitate to send an email to our Vice President Carlin Kimble who is head of our dog care department. Her email is: carlin@snowyowltours.com

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

I did the two hour dog sled tour and the tails of a shaman. When we first got to the sleds we had ample time to meet the dogs and they were wonderful! They loved to be pet and snuggled, and they were super friendly and well socialized! I also couldn't believe how well they listened to their commands and how eager they were to run!! I could have spent all day with those dogs! My team was Link, Chaos, Avalanche, Almond, Hurricane and Cyclone! The guides were also wonderful! Each of the guides knew the names of all of the dogs, which was impressive as there must have been nearly 100 dogs there if not more! You could just point to a dog and ask for its name and any of the staff could tell you instantly without even having to think about it! Jereme was my guide and he was hilarious, he gave the intro to the group and had everyone laughing! The native canadian campfire lunch was delicious (the bannock, maple syrup and jerky mixture was unbelievable), the lunch felt a little rushed but it was my own fault because I spent too much time with the dogs after the trip (I just loved those dogs)! After the tour I went with Connie for the "Tails of a Shaman" walk where, because it was just the two of us, we got to talk about everything (wolves, wildlife, native culture, the dogs, etc) in the company of the impressively handsome wolf hybrid Shaman! I got some amazing photos of my entire day and I can't wait to go back and do a half or full day trip!! The dogs are amazing, the staff are super and I will definitely be recommending Snowy Owl dog sled tours!!! Thanks for the wonderful experience!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

First of all, I would highly recommend Snowy Owl Dog Sledding tours - they are very ethical in regards to the way they treat their dogs and they have excellent guides to boot!

It was an early morning for us as we had to meet at the Snowy Owl office in Canmore at around 8AM. We hopped on a bus and got shuttled to the entrance of Goat`s Creek Trail. Once we got to the trailhead, we were greeted by hundreds of barking sled dogs. The staff was super friendly and knowledgeable. They had us run through a brief intro/command session before meeting our dog team. The dogs could not have been more well behaved and were an absolute delight to meet! Hiro, our guide, was great and he was clearly passionate in what he does.

On our ride out to the lake, my boyfriend and I enjoyed the comfortable (albeit bumpy at times) view from inside the sled while another individual drove. The trail was stunning! The most spectacular view was when we finally reached the frozen lake - it was a very picturesque scene that could have been taken straight out of a post card. We were lucky to have absolutely perfect weather that morning -- surrounded by mountains with blue skys and the sun shining high! It was hands down, a very surreal experience. We then took a short break in the middle of the lake, where we got to interact with our dogs and simply enjoyed the view.

After this, we switched positions and took on the driving reigns. Driving the sled was definitely not a piece of cake. Every time we reached an uphill section, my boyfriend and I had to jump off the sled and run alongside to give the dogs some extra support. If we didn`t, then one of our dogs (Megatron) would look back and glare at us for not helping, lol. But it was well worth the experience.

The only downside to this tour was that it ended so soon. At the end of the trip, Hiro had led us to a campfire, where we were served hot apple cider and some cookies. We also got the opportunity to meet a puppy called Remy who was learning socialization skills.

Being able to mush my own dog sled team was an unforgettable experience that I recommend everyone try at least once! The sled dogs were clearly very happy and well cared for by the excellent team at Snowy Owl. I cannot wait to take a much longer tour very soon!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Though our tour was cancelled due to the weather, we were able to be rebook few days later. So glad we didn't miss this experience, considering that we didn't stay long in Banff. The experience was just amazing... !! I saw the pictures here before, and yet, the views still blew my mind once I got there. The pictures didn't do any justice ! Moreover, staff are very helpful and cheerful, instructor is super funny, our guide is very friendly.... and just love those huskies !! 2 hour tour flew fast, we hope to come back to do longer tour. You can't go wrong with this company !

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have always wanted to do a dog sled run, and I received this as a birthday gift. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to do something different. I booked the 2 hour tour, and it was lovely. My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough. The time really did fly by, and the next time I will definately book the 4 hour tour.