“HIE Hinton”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Hinton
Warren, New Jersey
“HIE Hinton”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We arrived the hotel much earlier than check-in time, and the front desk staff checked us in with no problem at all. They are informative and helpful all the time. Our double bed suite is spacious and super clean, with very comfortable bed. A decent place for a drive-through stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Alison P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hinton, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank You for sharing your experience with the team. We are happy to have assisted with all the information you needed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2014

My mother, my grandmother, my aunt, and I were traveling in the Jasper area and decided to book the nearest IHG hotel, which was another 45min out of Jasper in Hinton. We did not mind the extra drive at all and saw more wildlife, and got to visit one of the attractions in Hinton, the Beaver Boardwalk. We stayed for one night on June 20, 2014.

After considering both IHG hotels in Hinton, I booked us two rooms at the Holiday Inn Express Hinton based on the price available. One was booked with points and the other was booked as a paid stay. I found the rates in the area were quite expensive for a weekend, but I understand that this is a town near the oil/gas sector in the province, and it was still much more reasonable than staying right in Jasper. As a Platinum Member of IHG Rewards, both rooms were upgraded prior to arrival, and I was warned that these rooms would be in the basement of the hotel.

The room I shared with my mother had two queen beds and as an Executive Room was a decent size. The hallway to get to the room from the elevator in the basement was extremely loud from the noise of all the hotel systems. The room itself was okay; all the noise stopped at the door. I did find it odd that the room did not have more ceiling lights as you are in the basement and the lamps all had to be turned on one by one and I felt that I did not have enough light.

I had quite a bit of trouble with the Wi-Fi. The first night I could not get it to work in my room at all. I went to the other room we booked to get access. I think again, this is part of the basement issue, but if you are going to have Executive Rooms in the basement, you need to find a way to have reliable Wi-Fi. The next morning my aunt had trouble with the Wi-Fi in her room and came to our room where the Wi-Fi was finally working. Strange...

The Front Desk Agents at Checkin were extremely helpful and polite. I cannot remember their names but wish I did as they deserve recognition. I felt welcomed and appreciated. The two female agents gave excellent directions to the Beaver Boardwalk which was one of the things we did in Hinton. As there was no dining option at the hotel for supper, we ate at Gus' Pizza, the top rated restaurant on Trip Advisory. It was great.

I was disappointed that there was no Platinum amenity offered at Checkin. Usually hotels give Platinum members some sort of welcome gift/points offer/etc.

The breakfast area was a little disappointing as I was hoping for some more food selection. I did enjoy the famous cinnamon buns, however. Again the service was great but the little things like small tables and little hot food selections did impact our enjoyment.

The outside appeal of this property is quite good. It had easy access to the highway too. I felt safe and secure and, as expected, everything was clean and cleanliness was not a concern.

Overall this was a good stay but I have had better stays with this brand elsewhere. The soft product (staff) were amazing but the hard product (wifi, basement room lighting issues) were a little disappointing. I did know I was getting a basement room before arrival... just did not expect some of the issues with it until I was actually there. Next time I am in the area I will compare the prices of this hotel and the Holiday Inn Hinton and make a decision at that time... I may or may not visit again.

Room Tip: Executive Rooms are in the basement and I had some issues with Wi-Fi and the amount of light availab...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Alison P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hinton, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for the feedback on your stay. We are currently in the process of replacing the lighting in our rooms to brighten the living areas. I will be looking into the wireless internet reliability in the basement rooms to get the service level up to what our guests expect when they stay at our location. When I shared your feedback at the hotel with the team the girls working the front desk remembered you as a guest and were happy to hear you found there service great.
We hope to see you again in the future.
Temecula, California
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We checked in to Holiday Inn Express in Hinton after a 9 hour drive from Vancouver and this place a great place to get some much needed rest. We were greeted by a very friendly staff and we got our room keys in a matter of minutes. The room the I booked for my family was the 2 queen bed and it was well suited for our 2 day stay. The bed was comfortable, sheets were clean, and the pillows were excellent. The toiletries were complete including fresh towels. This hotel had an indoor pool but did not utilize it because I was unaware that it came with a pool. The restaurant had a decent menu with reasonable price. The only downside that I can say about this hotel is that it doesn't have a complimentary breakfast. Most HIE that I've stayed in the past included complimentary breakfast. I would probably rate this hotel as "Excellent" if a complimentary breakfast was offered.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor and it was a great location. It was very quiet and we didn't have...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Alison P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hinton, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I think that you might have mistaken us for the Holiday Inn on Gregg Avenue as they are the hotel with the Greentree Restaurant on site. Our Holiday Inn Express doesn't have a restaurant and we do offer a complimentary breakfast each morning in our great room. I have forwarded your review onto the Manager of that hotel for review with her team.
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 6, 2014

we came here after a drive from Vernon but it was not good weather during the trip. Fortunately he room and the bed made it possible to sleep well. The pillows in general with all Holiday Inn Express hotels are good.

The breakfast was good as usual with the Holiday Inn Express and with a full stomach we went through the Banff park to Canmore.

If you are on the way from Vancouver to the parks: this is a good place to stay; quiet and therefore a good sleep.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rudi O
Alison P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hinton, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for the feedback. As we recently changed the pillows it's great to hear feedback on how our guests are enjoying them.
Prince Albert, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Holiday Inn Express (HIE) can generally be counted on for consistency. The Hinton location is no exception. Clean, quiets, everything in working order, and a decent sleep. This particular HIE distinguishes itself with some nice attention to detail: The toiletries kit supplies earplugs. You won't need this because of hotel noise, but you may depending on who you share your room with. The breakfast is also excellent with a large selection of healthy options as well as less healthy ones.

Room Tip: My colleague and I found our rooms excellent. The units by the mechanical room are bigger and have a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank arewetherenow
Alison P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hinton, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Hinton. As a recently added amenity item I am glad to hear that you thought the ear plugs were a great touch. We are always looking at ways to improve our guest experience through feedback like yours. Keep us in mind on your next business trip.
Jasper, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My favorite hotel to stay in when I'm in Hinton. The beds are fantastic, and the rooms are modern and VERY CLEAN. Excellent televisions with many channels. On a semi-related note, stay clear of both restaurants on either side (Ranchers, and Milo's), trust me ;-)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Joe D
Alison P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hinton, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for the feedback. I think you have seen some of our Holiday Inn Express commercials=). It was great to see how you made it your headline.
The team is glad you have enjoyed all of your stays with us and that we are your favorite hotel choice while in Hinton.
We appreciate you taking the time to write your review and look forward to you returning to the hotel.
Eagle Bay, BC
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it. The rooms were spotless and well appointed. We had a king room - lots of space and the room is well maintained. My only comment was the heating fan ran all night - our only choice would have been to shut it off completely. We probably should have brought this to the management's attention - but aside from this, we were happy with our stay. The breakfast was good and staff was very friendly. As this hotel is set back from the highway there is no issue with highway traffic noise. Next time we are in Hinton, this is where we will stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sherry S
Alison P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hinton, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent stay. The team was delighted to hear the great comments you made. The heating and air condititoning units are set to run continously in the winter months but can be shut off by contacting our front desk team.
We value your feedback and look forward to your return visit.