My mother, my grandmother, my aunt, and I were traveling in the Jasper area and decided to book the nearest IHG hotel, which was another 45min out of Jasper in Hinton. We did not mind the extra drive at all and saw more wildlife, and got to visit one of the attractions in Hinton, the Beaver Boardwalk. We stayed for one night on June 20, 2014.
After considering both IHG hotels in Hinton, I booked us two rooms at the Holiday Inn Express Hinton based on the price available. One was booked with points and the other was booked as a paid stay. I found the rates in the area were quite expensive for a weekend, but I understand that this is a town near the oil/gas sector in the province, and it was still much more reasonable than staying right in Jasper. As a Platinum Member of IHG Rewards, both rooms were upgraded prior to arrival, and I was warned that these rooms would be in the basement of the hotel.
The room I shared with my mother had two queen beds and as an Executive Room was a decent size. The hallway to get to the room from the elevator in the basement was extremely loud from the noise of all the hotel systems. The room itself was okay; all the noise stopped at the door. I did find it odd that the room did not have more ceiling lights as you are in the basement and the lamps all had to be turned on one by one and I felt that I did not have enough light.
I had quite a bit of trouble with the Wi-Fi. The first night I could not get it to work in my room at all. I went to the other room we booked to get access. I think again, this is part of the basement issue, but if you are going to have Executive Rooms in the basement, you need to find a way to have reliable Wi-Fi. The next morning my aunt had trouble with the Wi-Fi in her room and came to our room where the Wi-Fi was finally working. Strange...
The Front Desk Agents at Checkin were extremely helpful and polite. I cannot remember their names but wish I did as they deserve recognition. I felt welcomed and appreciated. The two female agents gave excellent directions to the Beaver Boardwalk which was one of the things we did in Hinton. As there was no dining option at the hotel for supper, we ate at Gus' Pizza, the top rated restaurant on Trip Advisory. It was great.
I was disappointed that there was no Platinum amenity offered at Checkin. Usually hotels give Platinum members some sort of welcome gift/points offer/etc.
The breakfast area was a little disappointing as I was hoping for some more food selection. I did enjoy the famous cinnamon buns, however. Again the service was great but the little things like small tables and little hot food selections did impact our enjoyment.
The outside appeal of this property is quite good. It had easy access to the highway too. I felt safe and secure and, as expected, everything was clean and cleanliness was not a concern.
Overall this was a good stay but I have had better stays with this brand elsewhere. The soft product (staff) were amazing but the hard product (wifi, basement room lighting issues) were a little disappointing. I did know I was getting a basement room before arrival... just did not expect some of the issues with it until I was actually there. Next time I am in the area I will compare the prices of this hotel and the Holiday Inn Hinton and make a decision at that time... I may or may not visit again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Convenient Location Highlights this Hinton, Alberta Hotel Surrounded by the beauty of the Rocky Mountains, the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites of Hinton, Alberta treats guests to top-quality amenities and service.The breathtaking landscapes of the Rockies are one of the most popular attractions in Hinton. Our hotel near Jasper National Park gives you easy access to this protected range of caribou and home of the highest mountain in Alberta. You can also take an ATV tour with Canadian Rockies Adventures. Golfers can enjoy playing 18 holes at the Hinton Golf Course, a few miles from our hotel. If you prefer to stay indoors while lodging in Hinton, Alberta, consider stopping by the Parks West Mall for a day of shopping.Business travelers to our Hinton, Alberta accommodations can benefit from our convenient location near dozens of corporate locations, such as Hinton Wood Products, Hinton General Hospital, Kal Tire, Weatherford, Yellowhead Regional Educational Consortium and Syntech Enerflex. Our Hinton, Alberta hotel also has a meeting room, a 24-hour Business Centre and free high-speed Internet access to meet your business needs.We go beyond other hotels in Hinton, Alberta to offer the best amenities such as a free hot breakfast bar each morning. We have a variety of rooms and suites, each equipped with 32' TVs, high-speed Internet access and a microwave and refrigerator. Call today and reserve a room at our Hinton, Alberta hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hinton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Hinton
- Holiday Inn Express Hinton
- Holiday Inn Hinton
- Hinton Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hinton Alberta