We stayed at the KOA Hinton/Jasper Campground from June 23-27, 2007.
We were there 1/2 for my husband's work and 1/2 for vacation. The only reason we chose this campground was because of the hot showers, as hubby was working.
We booked ahead over the phone. Phone service was fine. We arrived at the KOA a day late, and we were not charged, as the campground wasn't full. Very nice bonus. Weekday rates are approx. $35 + gst per night. Weekend rates are approx. $37 + gst per night.
The campground is situated in meadow-type area. Very, very few trees and plants. None of the sites allow fires, and all of the hookups are in the middle of the sites, so the first thing you see when you exit your camper is your neighbour's sewer hookup. Not pretty.
This campground has full amenities - full hookcups, including free cable TV and wireless internet connection. An outdoor kitchen with cooktops and sinks with running water, coin laundry, flush toilets, hot showers.
Now that you have the nitty gritty, there are a few reasons we won't stay there again:
1) While doing laundry with our 2 kids (1 and 3yrs), I moved the chairs to face the TV, turned cartoons on, and gave the kids a snack. It was a bit messy, but the kids were being really good. The owner and her cleaning crew came in to clean. There were a lot of loud sighs and 'looks' at each other and all at once they started cleaning our mess and moving the stroller and chairs, etc. I felt embarassed and angry all at once - I certainly would have cleaned our mess. I stammered a bit and said I would have cleaned and they looked at each other and said, 'well, it's cleaning time' - they didn't talk to me, explain anything, or even give me a second or the space to clean our mess. I was very angry - I thought they were very rude and unprofessional.
2) While in the outdoor kitchen (again with our kids), making lunch and doing dishes, a staff member came in (at lunch hour) and was installing a cooktop. This required him to sand or drill the metal (I have no idea what he was doing, but it was insanely loud). The kids were terrified. Our 1 yr old was screaming and our 3 yo was crouched down and hiding against the outside of the kitchen. He left all of a sudden for a few minutes, and came back smoking a cigarette. He was working about 6 feet from where we were eating. Our 3 yr old asked me what the 'yucky smell' was and I explained that it was smoke. He was clearly not happy with us and stomped out to put out his cigarette. I thought it was really rude to come into a cook kitchen smoking while guests were eating.
3) We really do prefer nature and being in the woods, and as I mentioned, we chose this campground simply for the showers. The slogan for the campground could easily be: "All of the Amenities, None of the Nature".
I think this campground would be suitable for those who don't enjoy the great outdoors, or for those passing through who need a quick place to stop and do laundry.
We were not at all impressed, and we won't be back.
- Also Known As:
- Koa Hinton/Jasper Hotel Hinton
- KOA Hinton/Jasper Alberta