“Great” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of KOA Hinton/Jasper

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hinton
KOA Hinton/Jasper
Edmonton, Alberta
“Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

We tented here the August long weekend. We hadn't camped in a long time and it was a great way to get back into it. The bathrooms were always clean and the had free hot showers. My husband nor I ever had to wait for a shower. The covered cook house and fire pit was our refuge in the rain a couple times. Met some great people. One recopmmemded a day trip to Jarvis Lake, about 15 min north on Hwy 40 to Grande Cache. It is beautiful there. So glad we too this trip.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dharmaloo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

A group of 6 of us (all adults) were up in Alberta visiting Jasper National Park in late July 2010, and it ended up being a convenient, cheap and comfortable place to eat and spend the night when we got pack from hiking in the park. We rented a 6-person cabin for 5 nights, and were satisfied with the services, by and large.

The landscape:

The campground is in a quiet meadow with spectacular views of the mountains, but little to no forestation. Because our cabin was at the western end of the lot with only a horse pasture and the mountains in the distance, the placement was idyllic and very quiet. Hinton was close enough so that groceries were convenient, but far enough (about 4 km) so that the town disappeared into the distance on the road, and the campground had more a remote feel about it. Travelling on the highway in the other direction led to Jasper National Park, which was our main goal. The distance was moderate, and we never complained about driving at least half an hour to reach any trail heads or attractions in the park.

The cabin:

We were a little bit surprised at the size of the cabin. The photo we saw on the internet was taken through a wide-angle lens to capture the entire den, but at the same time gave an illusory image of the room that made it seem much larger than reality. Even so, the cabin has enough room for exactly 6 people to sleep in, which was our primary concern. My only cautionary note is that the bunk beds are rather small for a moderately tall guy to sleep in (I'm 6'2") and a better option would be sleeping outside in a tent, especially in the summer time when the weather is right.

There is no cooking allowed in the cabin, and we had to bring all of our own utensils and cookware with us. There is a barbeque grill outside with a small burner, so it's still possible to make soup, coffee, tea etc, but remember that the cabin has no microwave available. Besides that, everything is just like at home--warm water, 2 televisions if you get really bored, lighting, and very effective climate control (because the cabin is so small, it's very easy to either warm it up or cool it down). Despite all this, we spent the majority of our time outside relaxing on the grass by the picnic table.

Campground amenities:

Everything was in place at the campsite, including laundry, cooking stations, showers and even an arcade. My only complaint about the establishment was that the WiFi was inaccessible. Normally, it wouldn't bother me since I don't plan on using the internet while on vacation, but in this situation I had some work that followed me to Jasper and required that I send some work to my office on our first day. This would have been simple if the internet connection was consistent, but despite a strong WiFi signal, there was no reliable service. I tried two computers and a handheld device to gain access, but none of them could connect for more than a few seconds to the complimentary KOA wifi network. I checked back throughout the time that we were there, but had no luck in connecting, so I ended up using a WiFi connection in Hinton to get the work done. It's possible that the system was down for the week, but it's also likely that the "free WiFi" icon on the website is mostly symbolic, so get your work done early if you can!

Besides these minor notes, I was very satisfied with our stay, and because I was primarily concerned with seeing the park, I didn't spend a lot of time around the campground. It's a very comfortable and pleasant place to stay, and the price was a lot more agreeable than anything in the town of Jasper.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank KubaTS
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

I've stayed here twice, in August 2006 and Sept. 2007. Both times I was on my way to Edmonton and needed a place to stop to break up the trip. I wasn't in it for serious camping; I just needed a place to sleep that wasn't the side of the highway. Both times I camped in the back of my car and enjoyed the park amenities (showers, full restrooms, etc.) in the morning. The staff were very friendly and accomodating and I'll definately return should I have a need in the future.

Be warned that this park is basically in Hinton. If you're planning to stay here and sightsee Jasper it's going to be a bit of a commute. The location was never a problem for me as I was heading east anyways. Hinton is a full-service town with lots of little diners for breakfast and fast food.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
      Rooms
1 Thank Tuneman1984
Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2007

We stayed at the KOA Hinton/Jasper Campground from June 23-27, 2007.

We were there 1/2 for my husband's work and 1/2 for vacation. The only reason we chose this campground was because of the hot showers, as hubby was working.

We booked ahead over the phone. Phone service was fine. We arrived at the KOA a day late, and we were not charged, as the campground wasn't full. Very nice bonus. Weekday rates are approx. $35 + gst per night. Weekend rates are approx. $37 + gst per night.

The campground is situated in meadow-type area. Very, very few trees and plants. None of the sites allow fires, and all of the hookups are in the middle of the sites, so the first thing you see when you exit your camper is your neighbour's sewer hookup. Not pretty.

This campground has full amenities - full hookcups, including free cable TV and wireless internet connection. An outdoor kitchen with cooktops and sinks with running water, coin laundry, flush toilets, hot showers.

Now that you have the nitty gritty, there are a few reasons we won't stay there again:

1) While doing laundry with our 2 kids (1 and 3yrs), I moved the chairs to face the TV, turned cartoons on, and gave the kids a snack. It was a bit messy, but the kids were being really good. The owner and her cleaning crew came in to clean. There were a lot of loud sighs and 'looks' at each other and all at once they started cleaning our mess and moving the stroller and chairs, etc. I felt embarassed and angry all at once - I certainly would have cleaned our mess. I stammered a bit and said I would have cleaned and they looked at each other and said, 'well, it's cleaning time' - they didn't talk to me, explain anything, or even give me a second or the space to clean our mess. I was very angry - I thought they were very rude and unprofessional.

2) While in the outdoor kitchen (again with our kids), making lunch and doing dishes, a staff member came in (at lunch hour) and was installing a cooktop. This required him to sand or drill the metal (I have no idea what he was doing, but it was insanely loud). The kids were terrified. Our 1 yr old was screaming and our 3 yo was crouched down and hiding against the outside of the kitchen. He left all of a sudden for a few minutes, and came back smoking a cigarette. He was working about 6 feet from where we were eating. Our 3 yr old asked me what the 'yucky smell' was and I explained that it was smoke. He was clearly not happy with us and stomped out to put out his cigarette. I thought it was really rude to come into a cook kitchen smoking while guests were eating.

3) We really do prefer nature and being in the woods, and as I mentioned, we chose this campground simply for the showers. The slogan for the campground could easily be: "All of the Amenities, None of the Nature".

I think this campground would be suitable for those who don't enjoy the great outdoors, or for those passing through who need a quick place to stop and do laundry.

We were not at all impressed, and we won't be back.
[--]