This would be heaven on earth if not for the trains. The river side location is wonderful, the animals (dogs, horses and a cat who insisted on sleeping in our tipi) walking freely around the grounds are very charming and the history of the place interesting. It is close enough to Hinton to be convenient but far enough away to feel out in nature. And William A Switzer provincial park is actually surprisingly nice, especially Jarvis lake. So all could be great.
But then there are the trains. We found them quite bothering. The trains run right on the other side of the river and we’re talking the long cargo versions that can take up to 20 min to pass. There were fewer at night but still some 4-5 of them, and I found it difficult to sleep though. I’m not sure how other reviewers could describe it as a quiet place. Maybe we just hit a peak period for train transport. It should be said that this experience is for tipi camping. I very much doubt that the noise from the trains would be much of an issue in the cabins.
We stayed in a river side tipi for a couple of days, never having tried tipi "camping" before. We were positively surprised by how cozy and comfy a tipi can be, especially with the stove blazing. It is perfectly possible to keep it not just lurk-warm but hot, though not at night if you want to have any sleep at all since it does require frequent tending to the fire. The only problem was that the tipi was a bit wet inside, including the bed, due to large amounts of rain the days before. That being said we did not feel the wet though our sleeping bags, so it was not really a big deal.
So all in all in many ways a great experience, but one we emerged from bleary eyed and tired. For those who sleep more soundly than me, the experience might have been simply great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Country vacation cabins & guest room along beautiful Athabasca River near Jasper National Park. Open year round. Riverside teepee campsites and guided horseback trail rides May - October. 45 minutes to Jasper town-site & 10 minutes from Hinton's dining and shopping. Two night minimum stay. Toll-free in Canada. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Old Entrance B 'n B Cabins & Teepees reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Entrance Cabins & Teepees Hotel Hinton
- Old Entrance Cabins And Teepees
- Old Entrance B 'n B Cabins & Teepees Hinton, Alberta